Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Post Reply
jones333
1st Gear Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by jones333 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 pm

I have been enjoying the Glamis Dunes since I was a little girl. Since I met my husband in 98, we have been going to glamis religiously since. We spend every holiday during the season in Glamis, but most importantly we spend 10 days in the dunes for Thankgiving. 13 years of this right? Well over the years we have seen and heard a number of horror stories. Most have been a direct result of people actions. Drinking, acting like a fool or just being down right stupid. I get it. I understand that this world is made up of all kinds!! Within the last 3 years I have seen it go from bad to what the "F" is going on here. My husband and I run a tight ship. We work so hard all year to enjoy these 10 days of our dune life. Doing what we both love so much. My husband and I enjoy it so much that I went out and bought my own sandrail. We own a toy hauler for his rail and a box trailer for my rail.
We arrive in the dunes on 11/17/11. Set up camp. We live the life on the 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st.....Couldnt be more perfect. Then the unthinkable happened. The LEO's (I think that is what everyone calls them) decided to come into our camp. No worries right? I dont drink, my husband sure doesnt drink. BUT....my husband does smoke medical marijuana. He has cancer. We are advocates for the medical marijuana movement. The best thing that has helped my husband live more comfortably. That and the enjoyment we get out of the dunes is how we cope. I have a "Welcome" sign with a big pot leaf on it. The LEO's said that they smelled pot and they saw my "welcome" sign.
My husband willingly gave the leo's his medicine and his legal paperwork to carry the stuff. The LEO's told us that they didn't care about his paperwork and the stuff was illegal on Federal Property. They took the medicine that we offered up without any problems, and told us that they were bringing in a drug smelling dogs to search our trailers. They did so, didnt find anything eles. So throughout this whole thing the LEO's ended up taking my husband to jail. Took all of our cash (which was $2000.00) saying my husband was a drug dealer. Left me at our camp site all alone with 2 trailers, 2 sand rails and the sun going down. The LEo kept saying..."I only have $8 in my pocket." Well we are on vacation and since when do people have to carry credit cards. We do have credit cards but we only use them in emergencies. Like coming up with $1,600.00 to bail my poor husband out. We dont go around financing things. We save our pennies and then buy. So to bring my story to an end, as hard core duners for my whole life, this passion I have for Glamis and the dunes have come to an end. I will not step one foot in glamis ever again. It breaks my heart. The cops have gone too far and ruined a couples life long enjoyment. My husband had said in the past the riding the dunes make his pain go away. Now what do we do?

Buggydave
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2000 8:15 pm

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by Buggydave » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Hate to sound like an ***, but he was doing the job he was sworn to do!
The problem with the medical marajuana (sp?) laws is they are all passed by each STATE, not by the federal gov't. I know a little about this as I live in Arizona (which passed the medical marajuana law), I have a friend who is a police officer in a city here in the Phoenix area, and we have a friend with serious medical problems with a card that uses it for his pain. the problem comes with the fact that the STATE of Arizona passed a law making it legal (like California), however the federal gov't still sees it as illegal! Most all of the LEO's at the dunes are FEDERAL Leo's, not state. They are sworn to enforce FEDERAL LAWS, on FEDERAL land! My friend who is a city cop, goes by state laws, and can, and has, let people go with there card and "prescription". But a federal officer, has to enforce the federal laws. I am not saying what they did was right, just there job. Federal Leo's, on federal land, have to enforce different than your local city cop comming to your door at your house!

Dunesage
1st Gear Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:44 pm

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by Dunesage » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 pm

You have
seen and heard a number of horror stories
yet have a
"Welcome" sign with a big pot leaf on it.
And you didn't expect trouble from the LEOs? Really? Seriously?

User avatar
Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
Posts: 2723
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 8:05 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:06 pm

jones333 wrote: I will not step one foot in glamis ever again. It breaks my heart. The cops have gone too far and ruined a couples life long enjoyment. My husband had said in the past the riding the dunes make his pain go away. Now what do we do?
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Dos Rios
1st Gear Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 4:56 pm

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by Dos Rios » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:13 am

Maybe leave the weed at home for a few days and go dune. If you were to travel via commercial airlines on vacation or business, you'd leave the pot at home for a few days right?

COCHEZ
1st Gear Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by COCHEZ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 am

Sorry to hear about your husband I hope he gets better soon. I'm just a little curious to hear how much merijuana he had?I've heard of people getting there pot taking away and then getting a ticket but i never heard of someone getting arrested and hauled off to jail. I hope you can find a way to not be bummed and go out there again. I know what it's like thinking your legal and your doing nothing wrong. I got a ticket once for shooting guns in the high desert with my dad and his friends who are sdpd cops all of us thought we where doing the right thing miles away from everybody in the middle of the desert but the ranger told us otherwise and we all got tickets! I was really mad about it and it was a changing point in my life on how I felt about our country but it didn't stop me from going to the desert and enjoying my life and I hope you can do the same.. next time just leave that flag at home.

jones333
1st Gear Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by jones333 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Buggydave wrote:Hate to sound like an ***, but he was doing the job he was sworn to do!
The problem with the medical marajuana (sp?) laws is they are all passed by each STATE, not by the federal gov't. I know a little about this as I live in Arizona (which passed the medical marajuana law), I have a friend who is a police officer in a city here in the Phoenix area, and we have a friend with serious medical problems with a card that uses it for his pain. the problem comes with the fact that the STATE of Arizona passed a law making it legal (like California), however the federal gov't still sees it as illegal! Most all of the LEO's at the dunes are FEDERAL Leo's, not state. They are sworn to enforce FEDERAL LAWS, on FEDERAL land! My friend who is a city cop, goes by state laws, and can, and has, let people go with there card and "prescription". But a federal officer, has to enforce the federal laws. I am not saying what they did was right, just there job. Federal Leo's, on federal land, have to enforce different than your local city cop comming to your door at your house!
Thanks for your comment and I agree...they are there to do their job. Im all for it. But taking a sick man to jail and accusing good people (with no record) of being drug dealers? Its just sad that good people get treated this way.

jones333
1st Gear Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by jones333 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:
jones333 wrote: I will not step one foot in glamis ever again. It breaks my heart. The cops have gone too far and ruined a couples life long enjoyment. My husband had said in the past the riding the dunes make his pain go away. Now what do we do?
Illegitimi non carborundum
Love it!!!

jones333
1st Gear Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by jones333 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Dos Rios wrote:Maybe leave the weed at home for a few days and go dune. If you were to travel via commercial airlines on vacation or business, you'd leave the pot at home for a few days right?
Yes, you are correct. I would leave it at home. BUT, since it is the only thing that allows a person to eat, and keep the food down we dont fly anywhere. ??? Its not a recreational habit. ???

jones333
1st Gear Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by jones333 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 pm

COCHEZ wrote:Sorry to hear about your husband I hope he gets better soon. I'm just a little curious to hear how much merijuana he had?I've heard of people getting there pot taking away and then getting a ticket but i never heard of someone getting arrested and hauled off to jail. I hope you can find a way to not be bummed and go out there again. I know what it's like thinking your legal and your doing nothing wrong. I got a ticket once for shooting guns in the high desert with my dad and his friends who are sdpd cops all of us thought we where doing the right thing miles away from everybody in the middle of the desert but the ranger told us otherwise and we all got tickets! I was really mad about it and it was a changing point in my life on how I felt about our country but it didn't stop me from going to the desert and enjoying my life and I hope you can do the same.. next time just leave that flag at home.
He had less then a quater ounce. I have heard from other people who have gone through the same thing and they had it taken away and given a ticket. The LEO couldnt get over the fact that we had all of that cash. In which half of that was to pay for the storage of our trailers for the rest of the season. We are hard working people with no record. When did basic compassion get left behind?

User avatar
gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:14 pm
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Vista, CA.

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by gelwell » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:10 pm

The BLM rangers are cop wanna be's and pose many problems they dont need to do. But it is federal land. I have a friend going thru inoperable brain cancer and the weed helps him out a lot. I am a big fan of medical MJ if it is for legitimate medical reasons but like many things people abuse privileges and make worse for those in real need. Like Vince said Dont let them win. One of the reasons I like going to Ogilby is LEO's aren't as prevalent and it is more family oriented area. You may want to consider going there. Although you wont find the big sweepers like the ones behind Olds there. Keep duning dont let this experience ruin your special time with your husband. Also you may want to get rid of the welcome sign, it made you a target.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

azfun
1st Gear Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:01 am
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by azfun » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:23 am

So what are your future plans? This is our second season and we are loving it! I'm having so much fun that my husband just bought me a RZR 900, he drives a rail. We would love to try some new places and being new we are just getting to know other duners.

User avatar
ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:06 pm
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Highland CA

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by ChuckZilla » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:17 am

Jones333, I don't mean to attack you, but why on earth would you hang a pot leaf sign outside your trailer? I have a prescription for vicoden for pain as well as one for Paxil for anxiety, do you ever see anyone advertising their use of prescription meds? So why the urge to show off the pot prescription? You can go back to Glamis and have a great time, take that welcome sign and throw it in the trash. I wish your husband the best in dealing with his cancer, I really do.
Chuck
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

User avatar
Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Posts: 2089
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:09 am
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Avacado Capital of the World

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by Sandcock » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:53 am

@Chuck........hey stranger :mrgreen:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

User avatar
ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:06 pm
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Highland CA

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by ChuckZilla » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:52 am

Sandcock wrote:@Chuck........hey stranger :mrgreen:

Hey Scotty, how ya doin'. :D
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

User avatar
Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Posts: 2089
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:09 am
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Avacado Capital of the World

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by Sandcock » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:16 am

@chuck, wish I could get out to the dunes/desert more often, just a lot going on. Looking forward to my first trip to Glamis in January :D
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

User avatar
ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:06 pm
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Highland CA

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by ChuckZilla » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 am

Sandcock wrote:@chuck, wish I could get out to the dunes/desert more often, just a lot going on. Looking forward to my first trip to Glamis in January :D
Same here, made it out for TDay and had a good time. That makes two trips in a year so far, the one before was last New Years. The family talked me in to going back out for this New Years so I'm not doin' too bad. :D
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

User avatar
HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:17 pm
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Mt. Rose HWY, Reno NV.

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by HSSC » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Been over two years sense our last desert trip. Been hanging on. My daughter is getting into ski racing hard core and that's means spending all the spare change on that sport. All of us have survival stories I'm sure.

Perseverance, for me, that is the key word. Grind on.
Golds-@-Mt-Rose-RR.jpg
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

User avatar
HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:17 pm
Please enter the middle number: 5
Location: Mt. Rose HWY, Reno NV.

Re: Unforgivable harassment over the Thanksgiving 2011

Post by HSSC » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 pm

frost-sun-and-sky.jpg
Duning in northern Nevada.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Post Reply

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”