Fee Collection-Compliance Effort at Dunes

News and information about what's happening in the dunes.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
Posts: 2723
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 8:05 pm
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Fee Collection-Compliance Effort at Dunes

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:52 am

U.S. Department of the Interior
Bureau of Land Management
News Release

For Immediate Release: September 13, 2005 CA-CDD-05-88
Contact: Doran Sanchez (951) 697-5220; E-mail: Doran_Sanchez@ca.blm.gov


BLM-Imperial County Sign Agreement for new Fee Collection-Compliance Effort at Dunes

To better utilize resources and accommodate visitors at the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area (ISDRA), the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office have signed a five-year agreement initiating a new fee collection and compliance effort for the ISDRA.

The County has created the Sheriff’s Recreation Permit Enforcement Division (S.R.P.E.D.), with responsibility for printing, collecting and assisting with compliance of non-commercial special recreation permit fees at the ISDRA. The Division will also enforce pertinent State, County and applicable Federal law relating to fee collection and compliance, develop community educational programs, and maintain/service fee equipment.

The County will retain 30 percent of the revenues collected and reimburse BLM the remaining 70 percent. BLM and the County will utilize funds generated through the agreement to support law enforcement, fee collection, and improve/enhance recreational opportunities at the ISDRA.

Beginning the first weekend in October 2005, S.R.P.E.D. personnel will commence permit compliance patrols within the permit-required areas of the ISDRA. County enforcement citations will be issued for non-compliance.

The fees will remain the same as last year, with annual permits costing $90 and weekly permits costing $25. Visitors are required to purchase a permit for each primary vehicle. Permits must be displayed at all times while at the ISDRA, and must be clearly visible from the front windshield on the rearview mirror or dashboard with the expiration side up.

The Imperial County Sheriff’s Office Permit Compliance Project website and 1-800 phone bank system, scheduled to be operational within two/three weeks, will allow visitors to pre-purchase permits by credit card. The permits will then be mailed with educational materials within two business days. Permits also may be purchased from designated Permit Compliance Project vendors located within and outside Imperial County.

To further assist visitors with the purchase of their permits, the County will install and maintain seven permit dispensers throughout the ISDRA. The dispensers will be located at Dune Buggy Flats, Ogilby, Buttercup, Gecko Road, Glamis Flats, Wash Road, and the Cahuilla Ranger Station.

To help educate visitors about the permit compliance and enforcement program, the County will install/maintain signs throughout Imperial Valley, and work with the BLM, Imperial Sand Dunes Technical Review Team, United Desert Gateway, and special interest groups to disseminate information. A 24-hour telephone hotline number will be provided by the County at the Cahuilla Ranger Station and other fee collection sites to answer questions and respond to public complaints.

For more information about the assistance agreement contact Neil Hamada in the BLM’s El Centro Office at (760) 337-4400.
-BLM-
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply

Return to “ISDRA Information”