New Canal On The North Side Of I-8

News and information about what's happening in the dunes.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

New Canal On The North Side Of I-8

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:55 pm

ASA has received the following information re construction of a new canal that will be on the north side of I-8 in the vicinity of “Test Hill.” This is in addition modification to the All-American Canal modifications proposed by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. Mike Remington of the, Imperial Irrigation District (IID) will be a guest speaker at the July 23 ASA Board meeting in Anaheim.

The IID is planning, in cooperation with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) and San Diego County Water Authority (SDCWA), to construct a new concrete-lined canal parallel to 23 miles of the existing earthen All-American Canal (AAC), beginning approximately 1.6 miles west of Pilot Knob, proceeding west and ending at Hydroelectric Drop No. 3. The approximate 3-year construction period is expected to begin in March of 2006. The centerline of the new canal will vary depending upon location along the 23 miles from approximately 200 to 850 feet from the existing canal centerline. The new parallel canal will be on the north side of the existing earthen canal from near Pilot Knob to approximately Gray’s Well Exit on Interstate 8 and will then proceed on the south side of the existing earthen canal to Hydroelectric Drop 3, approximately 5 miles west of Brock Research Exit on Interstate 8. The IID will be working with U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Reclamation, CalTrans, the Off-Highway Vehicle community and other agencies to develop a Recreation and Transportation Plan to avoid and/or minimize any impacts to recreational activities in the area during construction of the new canal.

We in America do not have a government by the majority, We have a government by the majority who participate.
--Thomas Jefferson

For every person digging at the root of a problem, there's a hundred hacking at the leaves.
--not sure who
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Vincent J Brunasso
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:58 pm

Here's a pic of the canal map
Here's a link to a full sized pic
CLICK HERE
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “ISDRA Information”