Whatever It Takes, Even Bribery

This forum is for the discussion of topics of political nature that affect the duning community.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

FunRunner
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Whatever It Takes, Even Bribery

Post by FunRunner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:42 am

Last night Barack Obama hosted the ten house Democrats who voted against the health care bill in November at the White House; he's obviously trying to persuade them to switch their votes to yes. One of the ten is Jim Matheson of Utah. The White House just sent out a press release announced on Wed., President Obama nominated Matheson's brother Scott M. Matheson, Jr. to the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. "Whatever it takes to get health care done," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said of the president's actions. Let's hear it for in your face federal crime activity; offering and giving of bribes.

Bribery is akin to what is commonly considered graft, payoffs, or influence peddling. Bribery involves public officials, government officials, witnesses — anyone acting for, on behalf of, or under the authority of the government. It can also describe a sporting official who “fixes an event”. Whether a Senator, a DOD subcontractor, a city councilmember, a federal witness, or a juror, it is considered a bribe whenever such an “official” trades influence in his or her official capacity for anything of value. The bribe can be direct or indirect, it can include the giving of something of value or merely the promise to do so. In most situations, both the person offering the bribe and the person taking it can be charged with bribery. States as well as the feds have harsh penalties on those giving or receiving bribes. US Code Title 18, Chapter 11, specifically §201-209, deals with the myriad details, definitions, and offenses that constitute bribery. They specifically deal with influencing official acts, influencing collusion to allow fraud, influencing the act or omission of an official duty, and influencing testimony.

Ah, ya gotta love the Chicago way of running the Office of President. How's that hope and change working out for you?

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Re: Whatever It Takes, Even Bribery

Post by gelwell » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Never voted for the clown to begin with. But talk to Randy Cunningham about bribes. If you're a republican you go to jail if you're a democrat you get promoted.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:18 pm

The Duke was the man, and Gelwell, you say it like it is. Right on! =D>
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

gelwell

Post by gelwell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:44 pm

HSSC wrote:The Duke was the man, and Gelwell, you say it like it is. Right on! =D>
Just look at Rangel from New York busted for taking trips if he was a bublican he'd be in jail.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:12 am

It's only my opinion, but I don't think I'm alone, that the current administration is using every trick in the book to pass legislation that is not in fact as advertised. They are using deceit, bribery, skulduggery, and threats to pass a bill labeled as "reform" which some 60% of the population is against, and a large portion of the 40% not against it, are either undecided, or perhaps desperate for some solution to sky high health care costs. Most of us are in that boat to variable extents, but if this measure is so great, why aren't the proponents willing to make it binding on all citizens, equally and unequivocally, so that it applies to them, as well as ALL the lesser citizens, who don't have elite status as lawmakers? It's time these clowns recognize what their jobs are, and to lose the bigheaded notion they are "special" and above the laws they write.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:30 am

In all of my life span of following politics I have never witnessed how well Americans have grasped and understand what is taking place. Its an international spectacle and despicable to its core. The American public definitely has put some Representatives on notice and making them re-think their position. The question they must ponder is “will Pres. Obama be there to get them re-elected” or “are my constituents going to hold me accountable and vote me out of office”? Only the elections in November 2010 will tell. IMO, its time to boot them all out and start all over.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:13 pm

The hammer and sickle, alive and well, even here, with certain members of the American Sand Association. Sad. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I forgot, I said I wasn't going to post here any more. Shame on me. [-X [-X [-X [-X
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

gelwell

Post by gelwell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:18 am

Sandcock wrote:In all of my life span of following politics I have never witnessed how well Americans have grasped and understand what is taking place. Its an international spectacle and despicable to its core. The American public definitely has put some Representatives on notice and making them re-think their position. The question they must ponder is “will Pres. Obama be there to get them re-elected” or “are my constituents going to hold me accountable and vote me out of office”? Only the elections in November 2010 will tell. IMO, its time to boot them all out and start all over.
At least the republicans are doing their best to keep the dems at bay. My rep Darryl Issa I think has done a great job. My 2 dem senators not so much

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:01 pm

I agree that Rep Issa has done a good job trying to fight for our rights and freedom. He is one of a handful. I read the Pub candidates (Fiorina and Devore) are even with Senator Boxer in the polls. Firorina has some major dough and will give Boxer a run for her money. Hopefully, she is topled in November. Two Dem reps from up North voted for Obamacare in exchange for more water to irrigate the Central Valley. Wouldn't surprise me is she tries to say she was in on it to so she could pull the wool over the voter's eyes and get them to vote for her.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:28 pm

HSSC wrote:The hammer and sickle, alive and well, even here, with certain members of the American Sand Association. Sad. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I forgot, I said I wasn't going to post here any more. Shame on me. [-X [-X [-X [-X
Quit it. You're getting boorish.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Washroad wrote:
HSSC wrote:The hammer and sickle, alive and well, even here, with certain members of the American Sand Association. Sad. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Someone else said that here too in a past post. Would there be people willing to conspire against someone who dares to speak their thoughts ?

Of course, I'm not in the club. I thought we were trying to keep the closure signs to a minimum. Must we stay in lock step with the powers that be? Or can one feel free to speak ones mind, reguardless of what others may think of that voice.

So is "boorish" name calling, or is it like others here, who have the freedom to hammer at will ?
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

HSSC wrote:
Washroad wrote:

Someone else said that here too in a past post. Would there be people willing to conspire against someone who dares to speak their thoughts ?

Of course, I'm not in the club. I thought we were trying to keep the closure signs to a minimum. Must we stay in lock step with the powers that be? Or can one feel free to speak ones mind, reguardless of what others may think of that voice.

So is "boorish" name calling, or is it like others here, who have the freedom to hammer at will ?
So your gonna make a snide, insinuating comment that suggests that a good American guy like Sandcock is a Communist just because he's not completely happy with his Reps . (which is fairly close to caller a black person the "N" word.) Then come back with an "I'm so censored and oppressed on this board" type of statement? Exactly WHO, gets to hammer at will on this board? The only person I see consistently taking shots at people is YOU, but apparently you feel that you are not that person, and obviously wish you were.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Washroad

Post by Washroad » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 am

HSSC,
What you are doing is "straw man" arguments; make a weak case so that you can switch to a different weak tact, usually a "red herring" argument which is an attempt at diversion from the original argument. They are "logical fallacies." :oops: :oops:
You made an insinuating remark about "certain ASA members" without giving a name. That's making a personal attack (also a logical fallacy) without "really" doing it. [-X [-X [-X
You've said you're "not a member of the club." Hmmmm, :-k :-k Wonders me....where is this "club?" I haven't found it and I have looked.
You want to speak your mind? By all means, express an opinion (NEVER WRONG!!!!!). Present some "facts" for your argument (facts ARE arguable, opinions NEVER are). Discuss as best you can your point of view. Post on this board all you want. I don't care what opinions people post, I don't have to like them, and if I don't like them, so?
My opinion; constantly making yourself a "victim" is boorish. You're not a victim unless you make yourself one. Quit it.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:22 am

I'd like to remind everyone once again that the rules of the BBS apply even here in the PDO forum:
* Content:
Any post that disparages, denigrates, or degrades any person or organization will be deleted. Vague criticisms not based upon facts are not allowed. The rules of common courtesy and decency shall be applied at all times.

Any content deemed contrary to the mission and goals of the ASA will be deleted.

Disputes shall be pursued via private channels and not in public forums.

Forum moderators have to option to create private forums upon request but are not obligated or required to do so.

*No personal attacks or "flames" are allowed. Flames are defined as comments that reflect upon the person instead of their opinion. If you dislike someone, please do not call them names or speculate on their personal lives.
Now while some of the previous posts can be interpreted as breaking the rules, I'm going to let them stand as posted, since we allow a bit more leeway here. That being said, any further posts that violate the rules above as determined by the Moderating Team will be removed.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Return to “Political Discussions Only”