Handrail?

Technical Discussion Forum -
Post your pics, discuss metal fab, find answers here.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

SouthAfricanDreamer
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Handrail?

Post by SouthAfricanDreamer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:35 am

Hi, 

I am new to the forum, here from South Africa. 

We do not have a very active Rail community, or any that I know of for that matter. This means that there are not very many rails for sale over here. This will force me to build my own. 

I do not have the money for a tube bender, and we don't have any people selling kits that I know of. I can however buy handrail tubing which should work. 

The tubing is 34mm (1.34") with a 2.5mm (0.1") wall thickness. The tubing is sold with pre-bent pieces probably 90°, 120°, 60°'etc. These bends will enable me to build a fairly decent frame if I combine them in the right ways. The problem with using these is the fact that I would need to join the frame on each side of the bend, on both sides of each bend. Not ideal I know, but will it work?

The nice thing of the joint on handrailing is that the joint is formed where the one tube is crimped to fit inside the other tube, before the joint is welded up for a permanent joint. 

Again, the question, will it work? Has anybody tried this? Will it provide enough strength for a roll cage in a Baja. 

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Handrail?

Post by crash » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 am

After seeing some of the things people have gotten away with, I think you probably would have no issues with using this material, so long as the design is correct and the welding is good.

Return to “Welding and Fabrication”