Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

indbodyboarder
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Halloween drama

Post by indbodyboarder » Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:46 pm

Ok, it was our first trip to Glamis and it will probably be my last on a big weekend. We had people blasting music till 6.15am people racing through our camp all night. To top things off I had to play babysitter to my little brother because he thought he could drink and drink and drink. He kinda forgot that he has one kidney! I woke up on Saturday morning and found him face first in the sand throwing up. He ended up puking for 4 hours straight. Needless to say I was almost run over more times than I can count by drunk people driving huge trucks. Also, a group of african americans drove by our camp and as soon as they did people started yelling explatives and racial slurs and throwing crap at em. How old are we?!?! I for one will be keeping my distance on big weekdns from now on.

RathrBdunin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by RathrBdunin » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:20 am

It was the same way at Godon's this last W/E - Bad thing is, I don't think this last W/E was considered a "Big Weekend" - That's what scares me...
RathrBdunin

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:17 am

Last weekend was our first big weekend at Glamis. We stayed at Gordons (first time there). Yea people had stereos going till 5-6AM but what really got to me was all the trash!

Went by Test Hill Sunday morning and could not believe all the beer cans. We saw one guy driving a truck with his buddy past our camp, guzzled his beer and chucked it out the window right in front of us. I understand the excuse is no one wants to get caught with an open container so they just throw it out when there finished. Is it possible that with the LEOS cracking down on open (empty) containers there inadvertantly making the trash problem worse?

Of course, I realize some people just don't even think twice about leaving their trash in the dunes. 20-30 years ago I could understand that but with all the "Enviromental Awareness" now days how could anyone not realize. It just gives the EnviroNazis more amo to use against us.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:22 am

snewbank wrote: ..Went by Test Hill Sunday morning and could not believe all the beer cans. We saw one guy driving a truck with his buddy past our camp, guzzled his beer and chucked it out the window right in front of us. I understand the excuse is no one wants to get caught with an open container so they just throw it out when there finished. Is it possible that with the LEOS cracking down on open (empty) containers there inadvertantly making the trash problem worse?...
If the can is crushed and in the cooler or in a trash bag (where it belongs), I don't think there would be an issue. I don't know for sure, but I would think its only an "open container" if it has contents.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:25 am

Really? Then I guess these people have no excuses.

Radrat
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Radrat » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:30 am

There is absolutely no excuse for litter. It's our number 2 problem at the dunes. Soon to be number 1
Chuck Mobley, Dunecologist
VP DUNERS
"The highest priority ought to be human life and the property of citizens."

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:52 am

These FAQ's answered by the BLM's head ranger have been on the GOL site for over two years:
Q: I have empties in my ice chest. Is that open container?
A: We are assuming that the ice chest is on the back of the vehicle. Technically yes, especially if the officer believes you are exhibiting signs of being under the influence. I would suggest you crush all your containers when they are empty and before you begin riding again.

Q: I'm sitting on the seat of my quad, rail, whatever, having a beer. Is that open container?
A: Yes, that is considered in the vehicle.

Q: I'm at a beer stop, sitting on my tire having a beer. Is that open container?
A: No, however too many beer stops could put you at risk for being stopped for being under the influence.

Q: At this same beer stop, we're all having a cold one. Do we have to worry that a LE person is going to come up and give us an FST (field sobriety test)?
A: No, FSTs are only given to persons suspected to be driving under the influence.

Q: If I take empties I find here and there out of the dunes, am I in danger of an open container violation?
A: No, unless you exhibit signs of being under the influence.
Interestingly these have been up there since before the BLM started "Zero Tolerance" last year. I wish many reliable reports from the dunes could back up that second one but so far it seems to be quite the opposite:

Q: What are the LE officers looking for the most? What are the zero tolerance violations?
A: Zero tolerance means everyone who is in violation is cited. We look for offenses against persons, alcohol related offenses, safety offenses, and vehicle code violations among others.

Q: Do certain violations hold priority over others? (i.e. A Ranger has stopped two young girls for riding double. As he/she is speaking with the young girls, a truck load of people drinking alcohol speeds by. Will the ranger let the girls go and pursue the truck?)
A: That's the Ranger's call depending on the situation. I would think he would.

And to show just how much stock we should put in these answers this one was up there while the BLM was actively turning down offers of help from other agencies:

Q: Would you feel it would benefit the Dunes to have the California Highway Patrol to show up on the busy weekends (Thanksgiving...etc.) and crack down on the unlawfulness that is giving us, responsible duners a bad name?
A: Yes

If you're curious here's the entire FAQ session:
http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... eofaq.html

sweetdevil
1st Gear Member

Post by sweetdevil » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:03 pm

I agree... Nov 1-2 isn't what I would call a big weekend. The groups i camp with are some of those crazy kids who are up til the sun comes up, but it's because we keep different hours. We all work until 9pm, get ready and don't make it out there til after 1am, so we have a few beers and BS with the rest of the crowd. Unfortunatly, when you put 10-20 twenty-thirty year olds who haven't seen each other in a few weeks, we get loud... We don't play any music on Friday nights though, and we're so tired from being up til Friday am, then riding all day Saturday, we crash out by the time we get back from comp... which I assume most do... Is there a lot of noise late Satuday night/early am??
About the african american thing, I saw the first ones out there this weekend. I hadn't realized that until this weekend that I had never before seen an african american out there... just made me think about it for a second. He was driving the orange Expedition.
heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!

Poiks

Post by Poiks » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:15 pm

Guess the bigs mouths out there don't know who's ruling the 125 class these days!

cycodad
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by cycodad » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:48 pm

I know this wont set well with some but bring on more enforcement. The trash, the disrespect, and the lack of respect for the sport is going to be our end. If you obey the rules you won't have a problem! I hope to see a big push all year long!
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knee's
Scott

ENDANGERED DUNER
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by ENDANGERED DUNER » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:31 am

I agree, bring in more enforcement, but only until the rif-raf is gone.
Are we there yet....?

jeff petersen

Post by jeff petersen » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:01 pm

When my wife and I were driving home on monday. We talked about
the great time we had with friends and family at gordon well's.
We thought it was the best trip yet in our short 4 years of going
to the dunes. ALL aspects of the weekened were GREAT. Our group
ranges from 7month old to 55yrs old. I just didn't see what some of you
saw and yes my eye's were open. This was just a statement, I thought
I would share what A grreat weekened We had. I read alot of messages
on this board and it seems that alot of people complain alot about the little
things. In the big picture the noise, trash and the"lack" of law enforcement
was not that bad.

Jeepster
1st Gear Member

Not the good old days any more

Post by Jeepster » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:16 pm

Jeff,

Glad you had a good experience in the dunes. I have been going to the dunes for over 20 years. Yea I'm one of the old farts that still enjoy getting dirty. When I first started going to the dunes there was no trash at Comp hill or any other place in the dunes. People were very helpful and considerate of others. Believe me when I say that the trash, noise and people have all gotten worse. :(

Just my two cents worth. I wasn't there over the weekend and I stopped going on big weekends over a year ago. It's just not the same any more. :cry: :cry:
Help keep America Free.

Radrat

Post by Radrat » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:38 pm

God it's almost like we aren't doing any good as a group. :( We need to step up the pace more. For some reason I feel so responsible.
Chuck Mobley, Dunecologist
VP DUNERS
"The highest priority ought to be human life and the property of citizens."

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:03 pm

I agree with Jeff. We stayed at Gordon's last weekend too and it was the best duning we have had to date. A little crowded and noisy but the weather was great. Except for the wind that came-up Sunday morning. All in all a good time. Already dreaming of the next trip :D

Big Daddy Dunes

Black People in the Dunes

Post by Big Daddy Dunes » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:49 am

I have been reading these boards and some of the other one's for about year now. I was curious about what type of response I would recieve at Glamis being black and being in the dunes. I have been off roading since I got my first vehicle. (which was a 1961 internationial 4x4 in college great for desert bonfires).

I love off-roading and exploring nature. I got into duning after I bought a three wheeler and loved it then got one for my son so we could ride together. We now have three jeeps, 1 three wheeler, 1 quad, and a toybox. We go out to our lil dunes here in Vegas and have a blast great for him he loves it (Dads been to Dumont I know bigger exist) but for him he's in heaven. We sometime's get strange looks, but hey we came to ride.

The thought of having to watch my back or my son's makes me sad (he knows it exist out there). Scary that I might have to defend myself or my son because somebody brings up the n word and gets force-ful about it. Was it a race one time and I stalled the three wheeler in a wash and guy drives by in a nice early bronco and sez look at the stuck in the sand. I know not everyone has the same views, the world we live in is changing. I just want to ride, meet good people and enjoy it too.

indbodyboarder
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by indbodyboarder » Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:07 am

sweetdevil wrote:He was driving the orange Expedition.
The guy driving that Orange Expedition is famous! I first saw that thing in Quicksand 3. He kept cruising the Sand Highway all day and night. Anyways.. I was stoked to see some brothers out there havin fun. The dunes should be for everyone regardless of race, sexual preference or creed.

indbodyboarder
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by indbodyboarder » Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:27 am

Big Daddy Dunes, you shouldn't have to worry about watching your sons back or yours for that matter. Who gives a rats *** about what color you are or where you are from. All that should matter is that you are there to have fun. Some people really need to learn tolerance and bag the racist views. It makes me sick....

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:01 am

Big Daddy Dunes, you are more than welcome to camp with us when I roll out to Glamis. My father was an LA City Firefighter, and there were many trips where he brought out some of his "minority" friends to enjoy the dunes. The thruth is, people are the same underneath it all, and we shouldn't ever forget that.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

robio
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by robio » Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:15 am

Why do we have to tolerate people of other races, etc? To tolerate them implies they are doing something wrong or annoying. It seems we should be accepting each other, not tolerating people different from ourselves.
If you can't be safe, be glorious

ENDANGERED DUNER
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by ENDANGERED DUNER » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:25 am

It makes me totaly sick that this is even an issue. What the hell is wrong with people?

The dunes are going down hill fast, no pun intended. I just want my old dunes back.

Hey Big Daddy Dunes, your welcome to come camp with us over at Gordons. :)
Are we there yet....?

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:12 am

Big Daddy Dunes come on down.. Good Duners are always welcome :!:
8) Especially ones that have Jeeps :D
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

RathrBdunin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RathrBdunin » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:51 am

Read your post Big Daddy - If you would like to come down to the dunes, the wife & myself would gladly do some duning & camping with you. We don't go to Glamis, but Gordon's , Midway or Buttercup are A+. Feel free to contact me if you decide to drop down here to try some great dunes. We usually camp by ourselves [ everyone I use to dune with got out of it] and would enjoy some company. Your boy will love it -Guaranteed ! We are not the least bit rowdies & try to stay away from the
" Big weekends".
Drop a line if your coming down.......
RathrBdunin

indbodyboarder
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by indbodyboarder » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:37 am

Glad to see all the support for Big Daddy Dunes!

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by YFZ Bob » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:11 am

Zellie (AKA Big Daddy Dunes)
You can camp with us anytime TOO! :lol:
"LoBuck 8) Especially ones that have Jeeps :D
Count us in! :wink:

Big Daddy Dunes

That was cool.

Post by Big Daddy Dunes » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:05 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the positive vibes and feedback on Glamis. Looking forward to hooking with some of you guys leearning about the places to dune in and camp out.

RathrBdunin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RathrBdunin » Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:20 am

Drop a line when your coming down. I'm always ready to go duning.... Sometimes when I get home, put everything away,sit on the swing with a beer. Next thing, ****, I already want to go back...... Wife just shakes her head -- "you always want to go back" Gotta love it !
RathrBdunin

dunerider
1st Gear Member

Post by dunerider » Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:54 pm

hey, big daddy dunes. I dune with a buddy from vegas as well. we meet at razor road, 12 miles west of baker, ca. hes black too. we were roomates long ago, duning. never had a problem, sorry about yours
you're welcome to join us this year, on thanksgiving at razor road...we each have a quad 250R green 2001RAM1500 and gold 1999YUKON pulling
home made trailer happy duning any where you go

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:41 pm

I don't think this last W/E was considered a "Big Weekend" - That's what scares me...
Here is the list (ok it's my list) of biggest weekends at Glamis, if you don't like crowds stay away:

#1 - Thanksgiving twice as big as the next biggest weekend
#2 - Presidents Day
#3 - Haloweenie Weekend, for some reason, people consider this weekend the first to get the toyz out in the sand, since last year.
#4 - Easter (all week is big)
#5 - New Years it was bigger before Y2K, but now, the party crowd seems to party elseware.

Lessor sized weekends but some use any excuse to DUNE!
#6 - MLK Day
#7 - Veterans Day weekend
#8 - St. Patrick Day weekend
#9-#10 Tie
Memorial Day weekend getting too hot,
and
Labor Day weekend Still too hot!

These top 6 weekends, I have been to each for last 7-8 years. Crowds, I dune different and in different hidden spots where no body goes...
We of course dune at least 6-10 'off-weekends' per year also.

Inconsiderate/rude/stupid people are everywhere. It's not a Glamis/ISDRA thing, it's a societal problem. Too many years of social engineering by the social feel gooders...

Rooster50
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Rooster50 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:48 am

Big Daddy, you are welcome in my camp anytime. We have 6 to 8 families with room for more. Give me a shout anytime. For the most part I don't think you will have any truoble any where out there. Most people out there are like family and are there for the fun and R&R. Dune with you later.
Les Bon Ton Roola !
(Let the Good Times Roll)

BigRick
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by BigRick » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:37 pm

I'm personally glad to see the drop off on New Years. My biggest trip of the year is New Years, we usualy get a large group of about 20 motor homes/trailers circled with all the kids. We try to go in to about wash 10 or 11 just to stay away from the trouble closser to the store. I was out over the nov3 weekend and comp was a mess. I think I could do without ever going back to hill 1. The mess out there is terrible. Anything to get rid of the bad seed is OK with me. More enforcement is needed to chase them off on the rest of the big weekends.

I want the OLD GLAMIS back too! I just want to have FUN.

dunermarc
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dunermarc » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:40 pm

i must be color blind!!! people are people race dosn't matter to me, the rangers should be more agessive on off week ends because there is no off week ends any more except may though sept . thats fun dunnen . trash is getting worse and if the bins are full take it home with you, you brought it there dune on
marc

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”