Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Bad-Koolaid
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

4th Annual Clean-up Stories

Post by Bad-Koolaid » Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:28 pm

Just got home and wanted to say how much I enjoyed putting faces to some of the names I see here every night. The Clean-up was great and everyone in my group had a blast! To all who were involved... THANK YOU! (A SPECIAL THANK YOU to the people who drove their trucks out to collect bags from all of us)! "I don't hug your tree... Don't try to put your arms around my dunes"!Edited by - Bad-Koolaid on 01/14/2001 9:29:56 PMEdited by - Tim Wight on 01/14/2001 9:33:00 PM

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry » Mon Jan 15, 2001 8:38 am

I also was very glad to have participated in both the cleanup and the placement of more boundary markers. And I will be even happier to remove those boundary markers when we regain access to those areas!I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breatheEdited by - bhenry on 01/15/2001 07:39:34 AM

asa_rick
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by asa_rick » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:06 pm

While BHenry & I were putting up more markers, one buggy from a large group stopped and asked: "What are you guys doing?" So I explained that we were volunteers with the ASA etc. To which he replied: "So you guys are the one who are trying to shut down the dunes huh?" Needless to say, I spent a few minutes explaining things to him. He had never heard of the ASA, or the CBD, and was woefully "under-informed" about what was really going on. Well, he said he'd get on-line and join up, but it just goes to show, there are lots of people out there that have no clue yet. Never pass up a chance to spread the word!! Think before you act, and make sure that your brain is in gear before you let out the clutch!!Rick JenkinsForum ModeratorASA VolunteerRjenk49957@aol.com

SailAway
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by SailAway » Mon Jan 15, 2001 1:29 pm

The cleanup was great and I too enjoyed putting faces to the names... like greeting old friends.Vicki WarrenASA Secretary / VolunteerASA Executive CommitteeTake a stand -- email calvic@dreamsoft.com to join the fight!

Charlie
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Charlie » Mon Jan 15, 2001 1:49 pm

We were unable to make the cleanup but did get out to Gordon's Well Sunday to help plant closure markers. Met two very nice folks Rick and Gail Cole who did a great job of coordinating the dozen or so who showed up to help. The BLM folks were great too -- very friendly, supportive and happy to know that an additional 300 or so markers are now in place at Buttercup and Gordy's. Like BHenry, I too look forward to the day we can remove those markers. Once they're obsolete, I want one of those things as a souvenir/collectors item AND as a constant reminder to never take the dunes for granted and to keep an eye on those who want to take them away to feed their own egos. My 8-year old daughter was there to help and I know she is learning valuable lessons now that will be with her for life.My arms are a little sore this morning, but it feels kinda good. Thanks ASA for giving us the opportunity. We'll be first in line at the next one.

SANDMAN
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by SANDMAN » Mon Jan 15, 2001 10:40 pm

The clean up was GREAT!!Me and my wife and our 6 boys ranging from 19 to 2 years of age all helped and they didnt even WHIN about it. I was so proud and shocked it was really a great day.Thanks and looking foward to next year.

Raptor
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Raptor » Tue Jan 16, 2001 9:10 am

what a great feeling. got to meet so many ASA members (asa rick, a.cook, bryan with a y, vickie, ron, everybody at the lazer line at olds )and the leaders of the ASA (vince, keith, tim, vickie, flo, jerry, chris, jason, mark) in person. sit around the camp fire and find out what kind of people they are.(real, friendly, down to earth) had a great time at the clean up helping at the ASA booth. collecting donations and getting people signed up and educating about the ASA. the sand was great and the weather was great.the only problem was that gas tanks on the little mini quads on JDFAB'S kids bike are too small and we had to return for fuel and could not make it down to help put markers on the east/west norther border of the larger central closer after we finished with the smaller central closer. i look forward to helping remove the temporary signs in the near future. i bet we will have no trouble getting thousands of volunteers for that event!the stars are in tune and the earth is eclipsed by the Dune

AlxCook
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by AlxCook » Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:14 pm

This was my third cleanup and I finally found something useful. I found a Spiderco knife, this is a great knife if anyone knows about knifes. But finding a starter is classic, must of sucked for that guy when he realized his truck wouldn't start. Hopefully it was a automatic. Just kidding. But this weekend was a balst, great duning, meeting new friends, and helping the enviroment. By the way, where was the Sierra Club when we were cleaning up? I thought they would like to help, but I guess that wasn't in their agenda (help the enviroment).

DuneDigger325
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by DuneDigger325 » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:03 pm

My family had a great time at the clean up, we drove out for the day just to help out and my kids did a great job helping. My son picked up a burnt chair frame, that was his big "treasure". Thanks to all who helped, we enjoy and appreciate our dunes and want to keep it for generations to come.

Jennifer Whyte
1st Gear Member

Post by Jennifer Whyte » Tue Jan 16, 2001 10:20 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to all that had participated in the 4th annual Glamis Dunes Clean Up promoted by Project SAND. There were about 3000 people whom participated and they were able to collect over 6,500 bags of trash. We also served 2,200 hot dogs at the BBQ. Thanks to all that gave thier time and energy in participatingJennifer Whyte

dunermarc
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dunermarc » Wed Jan 17, 2001 8:45 am

clean up was great ! we picked up 30 bags ! it was awsome to see every one like ants everywere picking up trash . but were are all these companes like that make buggies and sell parts i didn't see sandrails unlimited or or carcraft, car custom, sandbuggie supply, latest rage, moore parts,save a bug, fox, cb,unlimited rpm, and there are a lot more to . if they were involed there presents was not very visable with out sand will a lot of these co. even be around ? remember i'm just asking . and for everone that showed up , your the real duners that care . i thank you and every one involed duner marc . se ya next year.

Tom Simrak
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Tom Simrak » Wed Jan 17, 2001 12:25 pm

TRUE STORY:Some friends of mine, out to glamis for the first time helped with the clean up. Somewhere between olds and comp, they found a case of bud bottles, un-opened with a born on date of 12-01-00. Being the ones that were not driving, they chose to carry it in a safe place. while I picked up trash with other friends, they drank the beer.Shine up those LAZER STAR LIGHTS and lets enlighten everyone!http://www.sandcars.com

Jeepster
1st Gear Member

Post by Jeepster » Fri Jan 19, 2001 2:08 pm

I wanted to thank the two gentelmen at Comp that overturned the hole area with the home made drag that they pulled behind their truck. The crowd only had to follow the drag and pick up all of the trash. It really made a difference. After dragging they drove around and loaded up all the trash bags that people loaded. Their picture is on the WEB site with all the other cleanup. Just goes to show that all trucks at Comp are not bad.Help keep America Free.

Sharon Eckles
1st Gear Member

Post by Sharon Eckles » Tue Jan 23, 2001 3:58 pm

Reply to: " i didn't see carcraft if they were involed there presents was not very visable -----"Sorry I and my crew were not visable. Had our backs bent picking up trash Saturday and trying to keep up as part of the Marvin Shaw "Crew" fast pace on Sunday. Wearing ASA shirts instead of our own was our choice for advertising for the ASA cause, not for our company's benefit.Sharon Eckles dba Car Craft,Inc.Riverside, CABoost? What Impellers?

Ron @ Lazer Star

Post by Ron @ Lazer Star » Tue Jan 23, 2001 11:04 pm

Good to hear from you Sharon! I hope you become a regular contributor to the board.Ron ScottVice President, OperationsWeekend ConceptsASA Forum Moderatorrscott@weekendconcepts.comwww.saveglamis.com"Hey, that's a GREAT IDEA! So... Why aren't YOU doing it?"

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”