Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Looks like Boardmanville is closing

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Sun May 08, 2011 9:36 pm

I saw this on our local news and figured that you guys might want to check it out. Click on the video in the upper right that has an image of the license plate "BARS OPN"

http://www.kusi.com/story/14589895/abou ... e-the-dust
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

matthewjoy
1st Gear Member

Boardmanville 2 close this season, must act strategically!

Post by matthewjoy » Mon May 09, 2011 12:23 am

The Turco Files on KUSI today had Jeanne Boardman on his program. She said since the railroad was sold to the Union Pacific, they refuse to help her and all the rest of us out! A new trestle will cost $1.5 mil according to the interview. She said she'll have to close at the end of the season, after 31 years as a landmark! Our interest and focus as a nation needs to lie in preserving cultural and historical sites for everyone and our descendants to enjoy and learn from.
I'll have to research on this topic starting tomorrow, but who else out there knows about preserving historical places of interest? Can Boardmanville become a historical landmark? If we as a focused group of concerned citizens can form a coalition, Boardmanville may not only be saved, but it may get moved to the other side of the tracks because it is a San Diego treasure. Or, a new trestle can be built.
Here's one idea: are you a college student like me and want to do a project, or get class credit? We sure could use the talents of the following majors or professions: Journalism, Business, Fundraising, Cultural Anthropology, Archaeology, Creative writing, Law, Teaching and Education, Sociology, Public Relations, Radio or TV, Photographers or Video/Editing? Let's do some research online and see what we can come up with. Or ask your instructor how we can all come together and solve this. For all of you who wish to go online, the California State Park website is at: http://www.parks.ca.gov The office of Historic Preservation of California State Parks is at: ohp.parks.ca.gov

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Re: Looks like Boardmanville is closing

Post by BHenry » Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 am

Merged duplicate topics.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

matthewjoy
1st Gear Member

Post by matthewjoy » Mon May 09, 2011 11:43 am

Today I left a message for Supervisor Raymond. R Castillo, District 5 in Imperial County. His # is: 760-482-4305.
I also left a message for KUSI and the Turko Files.
I sent another message to NECO which is the Northern and Eastern Colorado planning board of the Bureau of Land Management.

After doing some research, I found that the lack of OHV access to the trading post is legal. One can get cited for crossing the RR tracks in an off-road vehicle and Ted Kipf Road allows only street-legal vehicle usage. All the online reports and articles concerning this issue were dated a year ago: most were two years old. So if I get any responses, I'll let you know the latest news.

proglamis
ASA Transportation Vice Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by proglamis » Mon May 09, 2011 1:45 pm

GO MAN GO! I did find some info regarding recreational easements and liability. It seems that the property owner is not liable for crossing said property for recreational purposes.

thor
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by thor » Fri May 13, 2011 3:35 pm

that's a bummer.... I love that place......

gelwell

Re: Boardmanville 2 close this season, must act strategically!

Post by gelwell » Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 pm

matthewjoy wrote: but who else out there knows about preserving historical places of interest? Can Boardmanville become a historical landmark? If we as a focused group of concerned citizens can form a coalition, Boardmanville may not only be saved, but it may get moved to the other side of the tracks because it is a San Diego treasure. Or, a new trestle can be built.

As a Clamper, member of E. Clampus Vitus (ECV), the gentlemans historical society perservers of Western History. If you will notice on most historical monuments at the bottom of the plaque is the Chapter of ECV placing and dedicating the monument. Getting this as a historical place takes some doing. ECV can do the monument at no cost and dedication, but you would have to have the County of Imperial and/or the Imperial Valley Historical Society recommend it to be preserved to us. No small task and can take years. Boardmanville while significant to us may or may not have the same significance to the rest of history. Doesnt mean it can't or won't be designated but there is a process. Last year we (ECV- John P. Squibob Chapter) dedicated Camacho's Place - a mexican restaurant in Seeley (near El Centro in the middle of farm country) because of its unique architectural construction. Built in 1946 of scare availability of building material. Mr. Camacho used literally anything he could. Camachos' place is still in business to this day. So the historical value is based upon the eye of the beholder. But the Imperial Valley Historical Society would be the place to start.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

matthewjoy
1st Gear Member

Post by matthewjoy » Fri May 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Nobody has e-mailed me back with any hint of saving Boardmanville. I take this to mean that they either don't care, or the railroad has made sure they don't respond. Turko never responded to me either and that indicates he doesn't care about peoples' lives and troubles like KUSI makes out. He likes to report on people in plight, but cares little for resolving the Boardmanville dilemma. The very least any of these people could do is e-mail me back and say they can't help me, but no. One person e-mailed me and said they passed it on to someone else to figure out the problem. Sounds like the typical "don't bother me" communication.

In the meantime, I found out how hard it is without government help of some kind. Without people of power, or 100's of people like us to protest and come together in a show of force, nothing will come of it. Oh well, I did what I could. I was also very disappointed that Boardmanville has no phone number or website that I could contact. Without hearing their side of the story, I can't go on any further anyhow.

Thank you everybody for reading and posting.

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Sat May 21, 2011 8:52 pm

matthewjoy wrote:Thank you everybody for reading and posting.
No, thank you for everything that you did =D>

and BTW welcome to the ASA BBS \:D/
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Sandcock » Sun May 22, 2011 5:31 am

The area is in Rep Bob Filner's district. You can contact his office for assistance if you haven't already. If you are not in his district he may gaff you off. Its worth a try.

This is an established business and contributes to the local economy. It should not be cut off. I believe it to be politically motivated, just my opinion.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

gelwell

Post by gelwell » Mon May 23, 2011 4:16 pm

matthewjoy wrote: In the meantime, I found out how hard it is without government help of some kind. Without people of power, or 100's of people like us to protest and come together in a show of force, nothing will come of it. Oh well, I did what I could. I was also very disappointed that Boardmanville has no phone number or website that I could contact. Without hearing their side of the story, I can't go on any further anyhow.

Thank you everybody for reading and posting.
Dude dont give up. This is the simple reality we all face. If we all just made one phone call and a couple emails, we would have gotten no where. This is the old squeaky wheel gets the grease theory. Stay after it. The railroad simply does not want offroaders crossing anywhere, over under on their tracks. Wash 10 was worn out over the years and bikes and buggies going thru it. The RR put large steel posts in the middle of both sides and then buried it so no one could get thru. Stay with it, it is you young folks that have to start picking up the torch. Us old guys have been carrying the torch for some time. Personally I've been fighting the fight for 40 years.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

matthewjoy
1st Gear Member

Post by matthewjoy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 pm

I came across a post online where a group was going to take the RR to court a few years ago over this topic. Where are they now; I don't see them responding to this post? Boardmanville isn't making their phone number available to anyone; aren't they reading this post either? Look above for the phone #'s and organizations to contact, I'm hoping you all call and e-mail. I helped start it, we all need to finish it. I'll be glad to join in a serious group of movers, but I'm not doing any more by myself. Grassroots is plural with an "s". I've never been to this website before and I certainly thought more people would comment, especially since we're talking about their love of the desert. That could still change however. [-o< I bet the RR is reading all this and snickering silently. The powers that be know what I'm saying and they also believe nothing will come of this topic because until the right people come up with the important contacts, and a good number of us protest and organize into a unified group, we'll just be "caught like a rat in a maze".

I spent quite a while online reading the complaints and dissatisfaction from people who go to the other store just west of the RR tracks. These people charge too much, are extremely rude, charge $2 for the bathroom, unfriendly and make a hell of a lot of money (it was listed online), all the while taking advantage of the fact that riders have no choice but to use their store. It appears to me that all the spenders don't mind, right? If not, then stand up and speak!

It really is too bad Boardmanville is located where they are and I feel for the lady I saw on the Turco Files fifteen days ago. What will happen to all those license plates on the walls? What about the history? Will I never be a part of it? I haven't been to this store, but I'm willing to battle for it. For you who have been to it, are you? Finally, Winston Churchill gave his most famous speech on June 4, 1940, eight months after the outbreak of WWII. It is partly printed below.

"We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalog of human crime. This is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be...

...We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."
Last edited by matthewjoy on Wed May 25, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

All you need is 100,000 people to donate $15 each and build the overpass.
Or 50,000 to donate $30
or 25,000 to donate $60
or...
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Booga-dune-poon » Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Upper right hand corner. "ASA, Proud to be a business sponsor"

To follow on the World War II theme, the Rail Road and Imperial County is to Boardmanville what the Soviets were to West Berlin.

I don't think anybody really thought we would get the new wash road after the R/R closed the old one down. But we did with the ASA's help and a lot of hard work.

What do we loose if Boardmanville goes out of business? They don't have anything over there that I can't bring myself. It's the principle that our choice is being cut off and the precedence that we had that choice before.

What's next? No Jawbone Canyon store or the Slash X?

We need a Marshall plan to ensure Boardmanville survives. That is if we care enough to draw a line in the sand.

Kevin

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer » Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 am

There is no way that the railroad will cooperate. Even if they did install a new trestle that would allow travel to the east side, the greenies would tie it up in court long enough for Jeannie to close her doors.

It is sad to see. We used to party there when they first opened...when Chuck was married to Shirley, when Henry and his crew ruled the store...great memories.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

matthewjoy
1st Gear Member

Post by matthewjoy » Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Dear Mr. Brunasso, here is the quote if you want it. "For every thousand hacking at the leaves of evil, there is one striking at the root" - David Thoreau 1817-1862.

It seems to me that getting a trestle built will never happen because of the courts and because our lifetimes aren't that long, are they?? :?: What would keep the RR from blocking the trestle at a later date if a new one were built? I'm sure they own the property under the tracks and a certain distance from the tracks. I'm not a lawyer but they drove in steel pilings under the present trestle for a legal reason. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong because I'm only guessing!

For a million or more $$, it seems better to get donations and purchase a piece of property around the dunes, west of the tracks and far away from the other stores(perhaps south), and then move Boardmanville wall by wall to a new location. Building a new store is defeating the purpose of this crisis in my opinion. Wouldn't it be great if the money and help were raised so that the entire old store would remain the same instead of building a new one? I don't know about building codes and transferring a building, who out there does? If we tell the truth about the RR, how it is the antagonist and the main and only destroyer of our desert history and our desert culture, all people would see how the powers that be can ruin and consume a big and valuable part of Imperial County and San Diego. Forever.

This whole deal involves so many more peoples than just the "duners" and friends. The 25 past years of this store is Southern Californian history and belongs to everybody. When the power companies and "evil-bones" wanted to build a dam and therefore flood and destroy much of Yosemite Valley, Amsel Adams fought for "our lives" and for everybody a hundred years later who would visit Yosemite in the future generations.

2011 is in a very different cultural century than the previous. What do we as a people do? Would the "Extreme Makeover" T.V. series assist us? How about other contractors and builders who wish to put this project on their resumes? Aspiring Lawyers? Hey Jimmy Carter, Come to Glamis!

I don't have the answer, but I can brainstorm like any of us can. Who knows a sports or Hollywood star that drove and partied over the dunes as a kid? Since the world didn't end last Saturday, what excuse have we now?

gelwell

Post by gelwell » Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm

BM might start by taking all those dollars off the walls towards an overpass. But it all gets back to the RR, they would still have to sign off on a overpass on their property. I doubt $100k is enough anyway.

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Booga-dune-poon » Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Ok, I've slept on it and started thinking about this like a capitalist. No emotion.

Why businesses fail? Reason number 4.

4. Location, Location, Location
Location is critical to the success of your business. Whereas a good location may enable a struggling business to ultimately survive and thrive, a bad location could spell disaster to even the best-managed enterprise.
Some factors to consider:
Where your customers are
Traffic, accessibility, parking and lighting
Location of competitors
Condition and safety of building
Local incentive programs for business start-ups in specific targeted areas
The history, community flavor and receptiveness to a new business at a prospective site

It's the natural order of selection. Or in this case with R/R and Imperial County deciding to cut off access, the artificial order of selection.
Kevin

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Thu May 26, 2011 8:20 am

I spoke to Jeanie a couple of months back and she said that the aSa has not done anything to help the cause on her behalf and that she doesn't look at aSa's forum. Because I'm a bit of a political junkie I suggested that she get as many of the folks that frequented Boardmanville and start addressing the issue with Congressman Filner. I don't think she really wanted to hear my suggestion. The impression that I got from Jeanie was that she wanted donations so a bridge could be built.

I've enjoyed frequenting Boardmanville and would love to see it stay open, but I think the writing is on the wall. Because change is constant we must choose and pursue the most important battles to fight........

Change is inevitable. Change is constant.
Benjamin Disraeli
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

matthewjoy
1st Gear Member

Post by matthewjoy » Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 am

When I couldn't find her website or listed phone #, I had my doubts. What legitimate business doesn't have a listed contact? If she wants to raise 1.5 $$ for her program, she's on her own. In this world, you take what help you can get. I also see that locals go there often enough so maybe all this is a hoax and at the end of the season life will go on. Why did Turco announce this problem now when it's been going on for years? She doesn't visit this site? Neither did I until two weeks ago. If she has friends on this site and people who care enough, then they will relay the message. If not, the other rip-off stores can make their millions, that's reality and her life as well as Imperial County's loss.

gelwell

Post by gelwell » Thu May 26, 2011 1:52 pm

She could be tired of the place too. If it were my place of business I'd be all over the RR and the county supervisors trying to get exceptions or something. Also I'd be hiring an attorney. but she is not doing any of that which leads me to believe she is either tired of it or wants other people to take care of the problem. Further her business is really not the concern for the aSa. Land use and getting more land is.

proglamis

Post by proglamis » Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Jeanne's number is 760-996-6511.

proglamis

Post by proglamis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Further her business is really not the concern for the aSa. Land use and getting more land is.

Camping opportunities east of the tracks are being lost because of the wash 10 underpass to Boardmanville. You can camp over there as long as you have a pass, but with the problems of crossing the tracks at the highway with an OHV, we've lost usable land.

Someone once said that they could never fence in Glamis. Well, with the tracks, the highway, the canal and the closed areas to the south, they pretty much did and no one noticed.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:49 am

Been out of touch for a while :(

Shared the Vid on FB :wink:

Been going there since the 80's 8) The kids like going to Boardmanville every trip :) They check their $ bills we get some ice cream & shop for shirts, stickers, license plate frame etc...

Good access would open some quiter camping options =D>

Seems like you can only use Historical Site ever gets used except to close areas to us :^o Our history doesn't seem to matter :evil:

What's up now :?:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Didn't make it over the BV, but W10 was indead full & impassable #-o

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"