Destroyed Toy Haulers

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

babybart
1st Gear Member

Destroyed Toy Haulers

Post by babybart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:10 pm

Did anyone see on Thursday 12/29 the demolished Toy hauler I-8 east just east of Dunbar? WTH happened? Then, Monday 1/2 another one I-8 west, in between Campo and Alpine? I have never seen any demolished, let alone two. Wonder if it's similar to the store bought buggy crowd that is infesting our dunes and driving like idiots. Slow down people. Thanks

FunRunner
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by FunRunner » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:19 am

Could the two have been the same hauler, only moved? good point re the lack of driving skills, when hauling a trailer; I've seen a lot of reckless situations, and was just behing one really bad accident, that we saw developing previously, when the people involved passed us. Twenty minutes isn't worth a life, or even an accident.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:34 pm

Was /is this a down hill area of the freeway?

Coming home from Idaho two years ago, we saw a massive toy hauler flipped/flat/scattered across the center medium near Cedar City Utah.

Down a grade, pulled by a Suburban they must have lost it...

No loss of life, but the toyz were everywhere.

Down hill speed kills [or at least ruins your toyz...]

Sad...

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:52 pm

How many of You seen Trucks/Suv's hauling large Toy Haulers at 75+??
An accident waiting to happen !!

If You have a blowout or someone cuts You off, there is NO WAY You can safely stop or control the rig.

I see these people all the time, and guess what, I see them at the same fuel stops/restaurants as if they were traveling with Us.

Is Your life or someone else's worth getting somewhere a few minutes earlier??
Just My 0.02
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:31 pm

It kinda pisses me off when the same lifted Suburban with a 30 ft WW passes me at 75MPH atleast, then slows enough to keep it in a straight line, then speeds up again, and is all over the road, so he slows back down again. and keeps this up until Mecca, Westmorlin, or Brawley where he pulls off So I'm thinking YA I don't have to worry about going around, or through HIS debris feild. Then a half hour later guess who. Only to pass them as they are just at the ranger satation on Gecko and I keep going to the washes. Woo Hooo big head start to the dunes there sparky.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

In Glamis
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by In Glamis » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:38 pm

I drove past the destroyed enclosed trailer on Dec 29th on east bound I-8. It occurred about 1/2 mile east of the Dunbar Lane/Harbinson Canyon Rd exit. The crash location was indeed at the bottom of the hill as the fwy drops off just east of the Dunbar exit and heads eastbound towards Alpine. So, its logical that speed building up as the driver drove down the hill may have been one of the causes of the accident. I'll add one more thought - that some manufactures of enclosed trailers try to save a few bucks and cut costs by installing light-duty wheel and tire combinations.... so that most tire/wheel combinations are insufficient to handle the weight many people pile into their enclosed trailers. You might have the best built trailer in the world, but if the tires and wheels are light duty and have an insufficient weight bearing capacity rating, then your trailer ain't worth $&^! and speed and heat will eventually break down the wheels and tires and the rest is history.

kwestov
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by kwestov » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:17 am

I follow three rules when pulling my toy hauler:

1) Never exceed 65 MPH, which is the fastest speed rating for all trailer service tires of which I'm aware.

2) Ensure the tire pressure is dead on. I set them all to .5 pound of the recommended pressure.

3) Check for bubbles in the tires before every pull.

Most people aren't aware about the 65 MPH speed rating. I understand that Discount Tire won't replace any failed trailer service tire if the owner is honest about exceeding 65 MPH.

Please be careful out there and help keep us all safe.

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:18 am

I've seen quite a few RV debris fields on the 15 between Vegas and Cedar City (a lot during summer months); usually there's an SUV crumpled up somewhere nearby.

Put an inexperiened self-centered fool behind the wheel of a grossly overloaded SUV/trailer combo, running in 100+ heat, at 75-80mph, up and down mountain pasess and you have a major recipe for disaster.

How many times have you guys seen some idiot FLY by you only to go a few miles and see them on the side of the road with blowouts? The wife and I usually make a mental note to see if we recognize them later on when we're going by.

kelliecoo
1st Gear Member

Post by kelliecoo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 am

Brand new toyhauler, brand new quads, no insurance. Guy and his father in law towing it, not hitched on properly and the sway got the best of him. Totaled everything. I think my dad said it took 4 loads to pick everything up. My dad was on the cleanup of it--really sad situation.

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by RacingRay » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Most people aren't aware about the 65 MPH speed rating. I understand that Discount Tire won't replace any failed trailer service tire if the owner is honest about exceeding 65 MPH.
I just had Friday 2 blowouts of trailer tires. Discount told me about not exceeding 65 MPH. I told them I tow at 75 and have for years. They did not have a problem replacing my 2 tires. They also told me before I replaced all 7 tires last year these new 10ply tires would not give me any trouble like the Marathon tires have for years. These are not any better.

If they have a condition on replacing these tires they better put it in writing and have you sign it. Other than that they WILL replace them.

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:14 pm

There is more then one way to destroy a toy hauler.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:42 am

quad1100 wrote:There is more then one way to destroy a toy hauler.

How can someone post a picture like THAT and not give us any info?

OK Alcohol was involved and...? :roll:
Normaly I'm agaist drinking and driving but if alcohol wasn't involved this NEEDS an expalination. :lol:

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:12 am

Sloppyduner wrote: How can someone post a picture like THAT and not give us any info?

OK Alcohol was involved and...? :roll:
Normaly I'm agaist drinking and driving but if alcohol wasn't involved this NEEDS an expalination. :lol:
My bad, This was taken at Pismo Beach (Oceano Dunes) on Jan 1st. That area got over an 1" of rain on this day and for those who did not get out early in the morning (about 300) were stranded for a couple of days. I guess this guy thought he could make it. For those who are not familiar with Oceano Dunes, there is a creek that runs over the beach during the winter, it is run off from the nearby hills.

CrstyDmn
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by CrstyDmn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:43 am

Hey Sloppy....You can go read the whole Newspaper article here:
http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... highlight=

8)
'03 CHEVY 2500HD 6.0L CREWCAB 4X4 w/RCD 6" Lift on Bilsteins w/35" BFG's
'00 HONDA TRX400EX
'78 HONDA ATC70

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:49 am

I am absolutely amazed at the amount of weight people put in their trailers/motorhomes/pickups and then think they can drive any speed they want and are able to manuever and stop in plenty of time.

Not!

At my company's scales, I weigh coaches all the time. Axles way over limit, way over rating, hitches way over loaded, etc. Rolling wrecks waiting to happen. Nothing like seeing people with hitches rated at 1250 lbs and they have over 1800 on them! Jeez! That's smart. Motorhomes with rear axles weighing in at 22,000 lbs when they are only legal at 20,000, not counting what they are rated for.

Lift your pickup, put on larger wheels/tires, you change center of gravity and towing capacity. In stock trim, maybe your truck is rated for 10,000 towing. Lift it 6 inches, add larger wheels and tires and your tow rating drops considerably. How about having that high truck with the low hitch? Going to handle really well , isn't it?

Check out your vehicle, get the ratings, get the tire/wheel ratings. Weigh your stuff. It takes a little time but lets you know where you are.

Get in an accident with an over-loaded vehicle and hurt someone and you could end up charged with manslaughter. You can end up in prison. Think about it!!!

The police/CHP bring us vehicles to weigh from accidents. We certify them. They can then take that to court and hang you!

Stay within the limits / capacities of your vehicle.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

crash

Post by crash » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:04 pm

I traveled accross the country in my younger days with a low buck race team that had a 36' Chapparel goose neck. We loaded that thing to the gills!! A traveling buddy used a semi to haul his comparable load. He was making fun of us and on a whim offered to pay for us to way our truck and trailer. 30,280 lbs. with a 1 ton Chevy pickup. 6 months later he got in an accident while a buddy was driving his rig that killed a young boy. Not his fault as the boys mother ran into the back of the truck in rain, but the driver didn't have a CDL. He was sued and lost $1million+ to the boys family. Remember, having things within the letter of the law does not make you a better driver, it just makes you a legal driver.

BTW- If you get in an accident with a lifted vehicle and someone is seriously injured, chances are a case can be made that the modifications made the vehicle unsafe and the driver of the modified vehicle would be liable.

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”