Dune Right of Way. Which way do you turn?

Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Dune Right of Way. Which way do you turn?

Post by YFZ Bob » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:38 pm

Here's a thought,
Head to Head with another Vehicle (Any Vehicle) in the Dunes. Which way do you turn?
I myself try to use the same boating navigation laws. It Sounds silly being in the middle of the dunes but so far it works for us! My favorite the "NO WAKE ZONE" close to camp

Edited by - Bansheebob on 07/10/2002 11:26:10 PM

Paleale
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Paleale » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:45 pm

I would say Right is right unless the other guy does not know his right from his left, in that case Stop?

Paleale"Off Roading Is Not A Crime...Its A Blast" SAVE GLAMIS

J. Hanes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by J. Hanes » Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:01 am

I have to agree, break right or stop. BUT, here is something I have never figured out, when racing up Comp Hill, why does everyone always turn left? Shouldn't they be turning right?

Bob, what do the boating navigation laws say on the topic? Left or right?

Jerod

Edited by - J. Hanes on 07/11/2002 12:02:23 AM

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:00 am

quote:Bob, what do the boating navigation laws say on the topic? Left or right?

Below was taken from the California Boating Laws
at: http://dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/Index.htm

When meeting head-on, or nearly so, either vessel shall signal its intention with one short blast which the other vessel shall answer promptly. Both vessels should alter their course to starboard (right) so that each will pass to the port (left) side of each other.

When crossing, the vessel which has the other on the starboard side shall keep out of the of the way holds course way and avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel. The give-way vessel, the vessel directed to keep out of the way, shall take early and substantial action to keep well clear of the other vessel (stand-on vessel). This latter vessel should hold course and speed. However, it may, as the stand-on vessel, take action to avoid collision by maneuvering as soon as it becomes apparent that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action.

Edited by - Bansheebob on 07/11/2002 12:01:06 PM

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by ggorman » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:33 am

I'd go for the boating rules.

It'd be funny if we put nav lights on our cars...Red is on Port, Green on Starborad.

If you see Red, stop or give way. Green is OK if the other vessel gives way.

For you landlubbers: Starboard=Right, Port=Left
Greg

ASA Volunteer ASA National Media Relations DirectorOh! If they could see what I could do, they would put me in the zoo.--Dr. Seuss

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:41 am

What do you call the front and back of the boat, Mr. Smarty pants

Robert McMillin"Get up, Stand up, Don't Give Up the Fight..." -Bob Marley

Edited by - spyder on 07/11/2002 07:42:29 AM

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by ggorman » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:14 am

the Back and the Front of course!

GG

ASA Volunteer ASA National Media Relations DirectorOh! If they could see what I could do, they would put me in the zoo.--Dr. Seuss

KingGlamis
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by KingGlamis » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:50 am

I sternly suggest that if you see me in the dunes you bow.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:02 am

If you come across a large boat in the dunes, it might be Marty Salas dialing in his nautical coordinates; just kidding Marty; Marty has offered to give me complete orientation and hands on instruction in the use of GPS. My buggy already has all the coordinates for Glamis which Marty set up when he had the buggy.

Roger @ FunRunner

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob » Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:00 pm

quote:
I sternly suggest that if you see me in the dunes you bow.

GOOD one! I'm looking for the photo of the Dune-a-Boat. Does anyone have a copy they can post it on here?

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:33 pm

Which ever way keeps me from a collision!! There are so many other factors to consider when asking this question, are you going up or down a dune, is your buddy riding beside you, what is the skill level of the person in/on the other vehicle? Rather then a water way, consider it a Football field and do anything you can to avoid the other players on the field…

Here is a photo of the Dune Boat in action

Mark

http://www.offroadtoys.com/glamis.html

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:17 pm

geez, I can't tell, is that you Marty? haha haha, I'm just kidding again; but really, if I saw a boat in the dunes, I would have to look twice to see if you were driving; boy, some of those waves are really big......hehe....I'm sorry, I couldn't resist; you will still do the GPS instructional, won't you?

Roger @ FunRunner

MattV

Post by MattV » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:53 pm

Actually, left would be the proper way to go while turning around on the side of Comp. This way, when you are coming down you are staying to the right of traffic.

The boating method of right-of-way seems to make the most sense. Pass on the left(geography permitting), the craft being overtaken has right-of-way. The 93 degree arc from the centerline of the craft to 3 degrees aft the starbord beam (middle of the right side) is the "danger zone". Yield to traffic in this area.

Some of the exceptions basically say that the more power, protection of occupants and manueverabilty a craft has, the greater its duty to yield. The exception to this is often known as the law of gross tonnage. To give an example: Powerboats will yield to sailboats since they are more powerful and maueverable. The exception would occur when the powerboat is an aircraft carrier. It's size prevents the ability manuever easily, so the sailboat should yield to it. In our world, that would be like a 2000 pound Predator and a motorcycle meeting up.

Matt

If grasshoppers carried .45s...

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:33 pm

Yup! If its bigger and/or faster than me, (which is just about anything not on foot) I give em a wide berth.

TLCA member 11/00
ASA member 4/01
CA4WDC member 3/02

Rooster
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Rooster » Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:23 pm

Here's another couple of tips on duning safety:

#1) When we ride, we always stay in single file (as everyone should). When another group approches, the rider that happens across another group first holds up as many fingers as there are riders behind him. Regardless if he is leading the group. In other words, if you are rider number two in a group of five, you hold up three fingers (see, I can do the math!). That lets the other group know how many other riders they should expect to see crossing their path.

Note: If the other group is traveling in a path that conflicts with ours, we stop AND hold up the proper amount of fingers. No, not that finger you clowns

#2) When the lead rider, (or someone else in line) comes up to a steepdrop-off or other hazard, they simply raise their hand. This gives the person behind them notice that something is wrong.

This latest tip has saved all of us countless times from avoiding dropping off into those pesky "Witches Eyes" that hurt so much.

Rooster

Edited by - Rooster on 07/16/2002 1:27:29 PM

JET

Post by JET » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:35 pm

quote:#2) When the lead rider, (or someone else in line) comes up to a steepdrop-off or other hazard, they simply raise their hand. This gives the person behind them notice that something is wrong.

I had one ride where this didn't work out. The lead rider came to a HUGE bowl and dropped in. The optical illusion didn't really let you know how steep and deep this bowl was. He didn't have time to raise his hand. Next rider, same thing. Bottom line, pay attention to what is going on in front of you. If people disappear suddenly and don't give any warning, it is a good sign that a big drop is heading your way.

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:25 am

Not many things worse than ending up in a witches eye!! Except when you all of a sudden realize that the rest of your group is landing on top of you!
Raise that hand!....then you are the only one in the hole.

Greg Hall"Dune Centric" thinking and actions is the only way we stand a chance!It just gives me the Willys!

Voice

Post by Voice » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:31 pm

Raise the hand is good but it doesn't always work.
Whenever I am going over something that doesn't allow me to see where the guy in front of me is I will ALWAYS go over at a different spot then he did, even if it is just a little different, and assume that he is stuck in a hole right on the other side, until I can see him again. Sometimes it's just a matter of going at a slightly different angle. Generally to the high side (if there IS a high side).
Again, I ASSUME, if I cannot see the guy in front of me, that he is STOPPED!
This method works quite well!

Vor

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Dr. Benjamin Franklinhttp://www.ShiftingDunes.comMay the Dune Gods smile upon you.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:25 pm

quote:I will ALWAYS go over at a different spot then he did, even if it is just a little different, and assume that he is stuck in a hole right on the other side, until I can see him again. Sometimes it's just a matter of going at a slightly different angle. Generally to the high side (if there IS a high side).
....I concur, exactly my choice; raising the arm to show cross traffic is good for signaling those behind you, but sometime as Jeff says, the lead guy may disappear abrubtly, no signal given, so the next guy should take the slightly high road, clear to the right and adjust; at that point, it may be appropriate to have concern or just bust out laughing, depending on the situation; sometimes, if the other person has had an incident, it is proper etiquette to forestall laughing until dusting off the aforementioned unfortunate member of the party.

Roger @ FunRunner

djw

Post by djw » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:14 pm

quote:the lead guy may disappear abrubtly

I look at the next guys whip, if it swings around a bit fast, I go into "traverse, check and drop". It's a mode I got into ridding 3-wheelers transitioning over bowels, unlike a Jedi run where you can see the line up ahead. A good example of this mode, is the last 3-5 min. of the video "Lets Dune It!". The guy on the 250R, is simply fluid.

djw

Area Rep.
Norco/Corona

JET

Post by JET » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:17 pm

quote:at that point, it may be appropriate to have concern or just bust out laughing

Now, we all know that NONE OF US would laugh at one of our buddy's misfortune.

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:26 pm

I agree that the "raise the hand" doesn't always work. Many times there just isn't time! But it is a start.
I never suggest to directly follow a set of tracks of the vehicle you are following because sure enough you will follow them right into trouble! (plus if you are stuck in the hole with them...it isn't as easy to make fun of their situation!) not that anyone on this board would ever do so!

Greg Hall"Dune Centric" thinking and actions is the only way we stand a chance!It just gives me the Willys!

Radrat

Post by Radrat » Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:43 am

quote:
sometimes, if the other person has had an incident, it is proper etiquette to forestall laughing until dusting off the aforementioned unfortunate member of the party.

Roger @ FunRunner

unless it's Jeff then it's Laugh first bury him later..

Chuck Mobley, Dunecologist
Member of D.U.N.E.R.(Duners Undoing Needless Environmental Restrictions)

"This is an art, not a science," Suckling says. "It's driven by passion and experience and creativity."

DUNCAN HUNTER FOR PRESIDENT!!

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:38 pm

Chuck, Radrat:
quote: unless it's Jeff then it's Laugh first bury him later.. ...yeah, but watch out for speeding motorhomes in the area. "They'll get ya."

Roger @ FunRunner

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:57 am

The "other topic" I referred to in my Chickism post is the dune protocal one.....should we, as responsible duners try to formulate and establish certain principles to adhere to in situations such as meeting someone head on? the decision making has to be instant and 1 right decision coupled with 1 wrong decision could still make a bad result.....should we say that to eliminate "circumstances" that we should always go right? granted, that may not always be best for one of the parties position, but it eliminates the guesswork and puts the emphasis on avoidance....Turn Right!.....What do others think? Bansheebob opened this topic with that very question, but what I'm asking is, should we stress that as a given, so that the circumstances are "eliminated" and the person always has in mind the way to turn. There are probably other items that could have a common application applied, but this one seems worth harping on.

Roger @ FunRunner

BPinnell
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by BPinnell » Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:15 pm

I think once we get all of our major things behind us, it would be a good thing for us as an organization to decide on/publish a proper protocol for operating OHV's on sand areas. Good for beginners, and a reminder for us veterans.

What do you think?

Bradley

Bradley T. Pinnell
Northern California Membership Director
American Sand Association
(661) 203-0979
(559) 278-6055

Duning is not a crime.
It's our job to keep it that way.

Sean250R
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sean250R » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:42 pm

Interesting topic,specially to a licensed captain.I agree head on,both turn to the right.As we know, that probably won`t happen,most of the time."rules of the road" also suggest showing the other "vessel" in this case vehicle "a turn".An OBVIOUS turn,in other words,when in doubt,make a move.We all know,it gets tricky around traffic,so we do what`s practical.Laws also say overtaking (passing)is defined as 22.5 degrees or less.Overtaken has right of way.Ever notice how the faster people, just hack your "bow" pretty bad,lol.We should develop some guidelines,I agree.Goodone King Glamis...Sean

Mike Ingoglia
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Mike Ingoglia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:11 pm

Hey Rooster, what happens if you're riding in a group of 12 and you're the leader? How many fingers do you hold up? :lol:
Rooster wrote:Here's another couple of tips on duning safety:

#1) When we ride, we always stay in single file (as everyone should). When another group approches, the rider that happens across another group first holds up as many fingers as there are riders behind him. Regardless if he is leading the group. In other words, if you are rider number two in a group of five, you hold up three fingers (see, I can do the math!). That lets the other group know how many other riders they should expect to see crossing their path.

Mike Ingoglia
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Mike Ingoglia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:12 pm

Oops... must of sneezed or something when I hit the "submit" button. :oops:

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:08 am

Mike, I removed your double post and fixed the quote for you.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

LTZ 400
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by LTZ 400 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:24 am

One would REALLY hope that if Rooster is leading a group of 12 he keeps his pants zipped! :lol: :lol:

David

Larry Jowdy
ASA Forum Administrator

Post by Larry Jowdy » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:40 am

When driving a car, we're taught to move to the right when confronted with a "head on situation" By doing so, we avoid crossing the path of the on coming car.

Have you ever noticed that when walking in a crowded mall or some other crowded public place, people seem to steer their bodies to their left and thus end up bumping into you???

I guess they think that we're in England??

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:31 am

LJowdy:
No, they're just obstinate or don't have a plan in life. : :?

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:05 pm

FunRunner wrote:LJowdy:
No, they're just obstinate or don't have a plan in life. : :?
Yes :lol:

On the few times I am draged to the mall 8)

There will be always 3 girls (teens) walking aimlessly right at me 3 wide (a-breast).....

I walk right towards the middle one and make them go around. (Since they want me to go around and show the old guy who's in control.....)

I am pretty sure they think me rude.... :P

WHATEVER!Image Image Image Image Image Image[/b]

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:22 pm

:shock:
Last edited by Greg Hall on Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

Larry Jowdy
ASA Forum Administrator

Post by Larry Jowdy » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:47 pm

Wow,

It took long enough to pick up on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow, I think Steve's been waiting too!!!!!

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:23 pm

How did we get to the mall :?:

What's with everyone @ Comp (Brawley, Freeway, etc.) what happened to shoot the hill & come down the left :? Now everyone shoots up & then comes right back into the next wave :evil:

In the Dunes keep your eyes open & watch the kids riding with you :!:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”