Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

NM450r
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

New to Glamis. Have a few questions.

Post by NM450r » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Making plans for a Thanksgiving trip. Haven't been, but have heard its an awesome experience. Trying to get prepared. I have heard there is a service that will actually come to the dunes, and fill up your fresh water, and empty your black/grey water tanks. Is there such a service? Also, I understand there are vendors at the hills who have parts. How much do they have available there? I mean, are we talking being able to completely re-build a bike (knocking on wood that won't be needed) or just simple parts, oil, etc.? One more thing, will be pulling up in a 37' motorhome, and 28' trailer. Any particular camping area suggestions. Don't want to be getting stuck or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Re: New to Glamis. Have a few questions.

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:00 am

Yes, there is a service that will come and pump your tanks and refill you fresh water - they come around regularly. If you need a complete rebuild at the dunes I think you're out of luck - but there's a shop about 40 miles away that will take care of you. Brawley may now have repair shops

This page is a little outdated (I wrote it about 10 years ago) but will get you started. There's now more vendors that sell many parts onsite during the high season.
http://www.glamisonline.org/FAQs.asp

Here's a map - also a little outdated but shows the camp grounds and closed areas. Campsites along Gecko Road will support your rig as well as those in the Buttercup area - some are asphalt, some are not. You need to know your way around Olgilby and the others or the chances of getting stuck are pretty good. http://www.glamisonline.org/images/ISDRA%20Closures.pdf

Lastly, here's another site that will be of help - its a lot more up to date http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_isdra.htm
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:17 am

Another thing to keep in mind is that Thanksgiving is the number one weekend in terms of visitorship (meaning its the most crowded). If you head over to the Duner's Connection Forum here, you'll find people making trip plans. In my experience, the members here are very welcoming of new duners. Please feel free to post up there!
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Welcome to the ASA BBS NM450r =D> . I went ahead and made new topics for each month of next season and went ahead and posted my Thanksgiving plans on there as well. Here is the link to the November 2010 thread http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... 22#p224522

If you are planing on camping at Gecko for Thanksgiving I would be out there by the 17th at the latest, that end of the dunes gets jammed packed by the weekend before Thanksgiving. With the new Wash road, the washes are now filling up quickly as well, but you should be able to find a spot pretty easily on the 22nd or before. Hope to see you out there in the dunes for turkey day :wink:
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”