Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Am I out of line?

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Arrived in wash 22 around 4pm Friday. One huge circle staked out with caution tape with a handful of rigs in it set up against the small dunes. No other camps there. I set up adjacent to them (I later paced it off right at 100' between our circles) against the small dunes. I feel a bit like I'm camping on top of them since the rest of the wash is empty, but figure I gave them some space. Around 10pm a rig pulls in and 2 people from it walk into the space between the two existing camps to scout it out and I can hear them talk about fitting there - there is only 100' between these two camps and the rest of the wash is empty! I walk over and say "you're not seriously considering camping between these camps are you?" They returned with "there's only going to be two of us" (rigs, not people). Things stayed civil, but not what I'd call friendly. They set up elsewhere in the wash, and no other camps arrived all weekend.

Was I out of line, or were they being the idiots I felt they were?

If it was a busy weekend and space was short I'd have no problem with them squeezing in, but they wanted to squeeze into what I felt was a minimal buffer space considering all the empty space in the wash. Yes, the two existing camps had the prime real estate next to the sand. I understand their desire to be there too, but we got there first.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Am I out of line?

Post by LoBuck » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:08 pm

I know what you're getting at, but.... what if that was their usual camping spot and they just wanted to be where they normally camp? :-k
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Mudkattgowfo
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Mudkattgowfo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:51 pm

My vote is that I don't think you were out of line for asking the question. I have not been in the wash you are talking about for quite a while so my perspective may be skewed but I seem to remember the higher washes being HUGE so I don't see the issue.

As LoBuck said maybe that is where they always camp, Then they better start getting there before 10pm on a Friday.

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:40 pm

I had to read it a few times over...because to me it sounds kind of like you're complaining about someone doing the same thing you did.

If the wash was wide open then why park only 100' away from someone else in the first place?

I guess I can't understand why anyone would want to either camp within 100' of another camp or in-between two camps that are only 100' apart if there's plenty of space. I usually try to camp as far away from anyone else as possible. Less chance of me bothering them or them bothering me - and I like to get away when camping and don't tend to seek out crowds but rather try to avoid them.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:05 pm

LoBuck wrote:I know what you're getting at, but.... what if that was their usual camping spot and they just wanted to be where they normally camp? :-k
I get that - it's our normal spot too. But if I would have to shoehorn in to find space I find a different spot - been there, done that.
Mudkattgowfo wrote:My vote is that I don't think you were out of line for asking the question. I have not been in the wash you are talking about for quite a while so my perspective may be skewed but I seem to remember the higher washes being HUGE so I don't see the issue.
Wash 22 isn't huge like 14 or 15, but it has a lot of space. The most coveted area where you can camp right next to the sand is limited - probably 3 small to medium circles can fit.
jhitesma wrote:I had to read it a few times over...because to me it sounds kind of like you're complaining about someone doing the same thing you did.

If the wash was wide open then why park only 100' away from someone else in the first place?
As I said, I felt a little bit like I was already camping on top of them. But I pulled in there since it's our usual spot. Right after I parked there I talked with someone from the existing camp and they were cool with where I was - even said come on over if you need anything.

When the new folks showed up and walked with flashlights past the first camp to look at the spot someone asked what they were doing. When they said they were checking to see if they could fit between us the response was something like "really?" So the first camp thought it was odd at a minimum.

We circled our rigs to obscure the view into and out of our camp towards the existing camp both for our privacy and theirs. The only reason we set up anywhere near them was it is our usual camping spot.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:03 pm

WoodIsGood wrote: Was I out of line, or were they being the idiots I felt they were?
My opinion: Thinking what you were thinking was not out of line. However, because:
WoodIsGood wrote: I walk over and say "you're not seriously considering camping between these camps are you?"
They were probably put off by your approach. And, this might be the reason
WoodIsGood wrote: Things stayed civil, but not what I'd call friendly.
You set the tone and I wouldn't say that your approach to them was friendly either.

I kind of look at it like anyone can camp where they want to. Even if I don't like it. I adopted this back in our Wash10 days, when our rigs would literally get land-locked on busy weekends!

Now, I would still walk up to the guy who is pulling between my camp and the one 100' away (as I have done inthe past). I start talking, "How's it going? I have to tell you, this is an awesome place to camp, but (as I point at my truck), I need to warn you that I probably have the noisyest generator that you've ever heard in the back of that truck and my wife like to use the hair dryer early in the morning." I end with a note, "you're welcome to be my neighbor, but consider yourself forewarned" as I laugh.

That usually pushes them away another 100' or so. :lol:
I actually have pretty quiet generator in the back of the truck, and my wife never did get up and use a hair dryer, but I still use the story when needed.

I think this is going to become a more and more common problem for us Wash 20's folks. With the new road making it easier for people to get back there, and with no kind of camper being able to get past Wash26, we are now at the end of the bonafied campground. Evidence by the BLM Ranger who stopped into our Wash24 camp last trip to talk to the kids and give them trading cards, etc. We've been camping in that Wash for 3 or 4 seasons now, and we've never had that happen!
Not to mention, over Thanksgiving weekend, kid camp racers had me wishing I had my caution tape and rebar posts (Camp - Perimeter hardware that I havn't used since we left Wash10). :roll:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Personally, no disrespect intended here, but you were more out of line camping 100' feet from another camp in a completely empty wash then you were saying something to someone for doing the same thing.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Woodglue wrote:You set the tone and I wouldn't say that your approach to them was friendly either.
Guilty as charged. I should have been much more diplomatic in my approach. #-o The feeling I had at the moment was similar to a few months ago when sitting in chairs at an airshow and having someone nearly step on our toes to squeeze in front of us and stand there blocking our view.

I'll have to remember your generator approach - I have one of the loudest Onan gensets I've ever heard.
Glamisbound wrote:Personally, no disrespect intended here, but you were more out of line camping 100' feet from another camp in a completely empty wash then you were saying something to someone for doing the same thing.
No disrespect taken. I asked the question to see if my feelings were realistic.

It is quite common, if not typical, that the first 2 camps in wash 22 set up at the sand's edge. And I personally think that there is an appreciable difference between taking a sand's edge spot by camping 100' away from a huge camp circle that was less than 1/4 full and squeezing between those camps and likely being less than 30' from my motorhome. I felt that my spacing was just marginally acceptable (and had been deemed ok by my neighbor) - hence my feeling that fitting another camp in the minimal space that was left was over the line.

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:03 pm

I think a 100' is a good buffer and probably a good use of space for later arriving campers. Further that buffer is used by all camps getting to and fro. Taking up that buffer with another camp makes for some potential vehicle crashes.

I dont think camping along the dune edge is the best camp spot especially if the wind comes up, then the camp gets sand blasted.

Your approach may have been uneasy and could have been a little more sensitive, but had you not said anything you would had a more uncomfortable weekend/week with an unwanted and too close neighbor.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:05 am

We get diappointed when we can't have the spot we were hoping for too :( . I never understand why people have to park close when there's open space available :?: The worst was @ W10 when someone blocked the access that ran behind our trailer & was close enough that I could almost touch both our trailers @ the same time. When he pulled in & started to unload I advised against it, but he set up anyway :? I pointed out that his window was right next to my gen exhaust & that I would be asking him to shut down his generator if I needed to use my fueling station [-X We must have been bad neighbors since he was gone the next day =D>

Leave space @ least a good access road between camps & try to be civil :wink: Most people are cool if you talk to them, but some times like the guy who pulled in next to us @ W10 they need some time to see the error of thier ways :oops: I guess try to nip things in the Bud, but not everyone sees things the way we do so 100' may be a lot to them :?: I don't think we can really ask for much more than a safe access & buffer, but most Duners will grant you that & more if you don't wait till they unload to approach them :) Kristy & I always Joke, They must be from California...they're affraid to camp too far apart :lol: When there's acres of open space & people insist on camping so close :?

See You Next Season the Renovation/Restoration Project is over budget & behind schedule :shock:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:00 pm

Maybe they were use to camping on Gecko and thought they were leaving a HUGE gap.

Approaching people upon their arrivals is always a sketchy thing. Last year I was one of the first on a couple of trips. There was one group that was close to us. George and I went to talk to them. Ended up being great people to camp near. It doesn't hurt to ask. I try to catch them BEFORE they get out of their rig. Start with "Hi! I have a huge group of friends coming from Chula Vista with lots of kids and dogs. I just wanted to let you know so it doesn't surprise you when this place turns into a mad house." This just might get them to go to a different wash all together. Of course being nice about it always helps. One thing that I try to remember is these people coming in most likely have just been on the road for some time. They just want to get parked, set up, and chill.

I think if it were me I would likie to be talked to before I shut off my rig and get out. Other than that. I don't think you did anything wrong.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”