Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Heating my trailer

Post by Sloppyduner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:02 am

Well it was cold over New Years, not as cold as it could be , but cold enough for me to do some thinking on ways to heat my enclosed trailer. Normal ritual is to turn on my single burner butaine cooking thing, while heating water for my hot water bottle. That takes the chill off pretty good. I also have a 150 watt heat lamp hooked to an inverter, hooked up to a battery in my trailer. This lamp is over my bed and really helps warm up the covers. That works but not good enough.

Sooo. I was looking at heater options. I was looking at the Mr Buddy It seemed like it would do good. My wife always ends up at Wall Mart on Friday mornings She found THIS for $27.

:?: What I'm wondering is, and I guess I can always try it out and take it back if it doesn't do a better job. What is the differance between my open flame on my little single burner and this catalytic device? :?:

I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping with any of these units running, even though the reviews make it sound like people in tents leave them ruunning all night. I'm surounded by dry gluey paneling and the celing is only 6 feet tall. I'm just looking for a way to heat up the trailer right before I climb in bed and a huge blast once I wake up without choaking me out. Thats one thing I DO NOT like about that open flame I use. I do seem to catch a bit of a buzz right about the time the water is ready for coffee.

Thank you for any thoghts, stories, or expereance you might have with this stuff.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Heating my trailer

Post by ChuckZilla » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:52 am

Jon I was thinking about your trailer heat wise and thought how cool it would be if you had a heater like the one in Steve's WW, it's not ducted or anything, just spits heat right out the front. Might be able to get one from Walt's RV. Would have to plug a propane bottle into it and 12v but otherwise pretty simple.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Sandcock » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:04 am

Looks like it got five stars from seven consumers, but fire needs oxygen and so do you. I would hate to have anything happen to my little buddy :wink: If you were to get this type of heaters things to consider: make-up air, surrounding combustibles, and an o2 alarm.

I get cold now to (the age thing). If the esposa doesn't come to keep me warm, I use a down comforter over my sleeping bag, crawl into the bag with sweats, socks and a knit cap to keep my bald head warm :lol:

As for the story. My dad was stationed in England during my HS days. We fed a meter for the electricty in the flat we rented. So, dad and mom bought a kerosene hearter (parafin in England). One day while my mom and I were out, my dad at home taking a nap, he had the heater on. When we came home his skin complexion had changed due to lack of o2. To say the least, that was the end of that.

Moral of the story: If you are going to use heating equipment in a closed or confined space/area follow the manufacturer's recommendations for safety.

Then there is always the option..............bunk up with King Richard :lol: =D>
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Sandcock wrote:
Then there is always the option..............bunk up with King Richard :lol: =D>
If Gail is not coming out then that would be a win win for both of them. :lol:
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Why not just get a warmer sleeeping bag. I got one that is rated to -5 and it is toasty.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:30 pm

DuneRookie wrote:Why not just get a warmer sleeeping bag. I got one that is rated to -5 and it is toasty.
But does it heat up your "rig" when you get out of in the morning? :wink: My "while sleeping temp is fine. Its getting the "room" warmed up before I go to sleep and when I get out of bed in the morning that kill. :cry:

GlamisLovingFool
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by GlamisLovingFool » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:44 pm

get a small space heater(electric) and plug it in to George's Genny.
Josh Hashim - 08 Yamaha Raptor 700
Maria - 04 Honda 400 EX
Jonah - 2007 12V Powerwheels Batman Edition
2008 23' WW Superlite

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm

GlamisLovingFool wrote:get a small space heater(electric) and plug it in to George's Genny.
:-s :-k :shock: :D =D> George? [-o<

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 am

GlamisLovingFool wrote:get a small space heater(electric) and plug it in to George's Genny.
What am I the power pimp O' Wash 23 :-k
Sloppyduner wrote:
You will have to duke it out with Robert for my extra outlet. It depends on how much wattage the heater requires. If it is above 500 probably not. If it is 300 or below, no problem. :wink: The only situation we might run into is when the whole brood comes out and I have to plug them in as well, but I think those trips will be few and far between.
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 am

Dude you're flirting with death on the stove for heat & some of the other heaters that use up O2 & put off CO :shock: Be careful :wink: It's the heat while getting ready for bed & when you wake up that can be an issue in that enclosed space :idea: Sometimes we're not as sharp after a long night of riding & hanging out @ the campfire etc... so we might make a mistake &wake up dead if you know what I mean. :( Fuel burning requires combustion air & ventalation, Electric heat requires power :| You'll figure something warm & safe out :wink:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:26 am

Astro catalytic device says ok for indoor use while the burner said use in well ventelated area. I do have a CO2 alarm I will not forget to bring out this time.

I figure with a heat source oked for indoor use and a CO2 alarm I'd be on the right path. :(

A Family of 4
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative

Post by A Family of 4 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 am

GlamisSandDuner wrote:
What am I the power pimp O' Wash 23 :-k
Sloppyduner wrote:
You will have to duke it out with Robert for my extra outlet. It depends on how much wattage the heater requires. If it is above 500 probably not. If it is 300 or below, no problem. :wink: The only situation we might run into is when the whole brood comes out and I have to plug them in as well, but I think those trips will be few and far between.

hmmm....maybe next trip out I'll camp closer to George??

:D
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

-Ronald Reagan

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:17 pm

sloppy, carbon monoxide is evenly distributed in air and as in the case every year, people die because it goes undetected. I know you are taking safety precautions, i.e. with the detector, just be careful bro. If you choose to buy the heater, (can't blame you for wanting to keep warm) check those batts in the detector frequently.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Even the catalytic heaters use oxygen. If they're in good repair they won't give off CO...but they will use O2 and if you're in a sealed place that can mean no O2 for you...not good. You need to leave a window or vent open while they're running to make sure you have enough O2 for the heater and yourself...which if the heater isn't warm enough can kind of defeat the whole point of having a heater.

We tested out the space heater in our new RV for the first time this weekend:

I had one of these in a house I rented about 10 years ago and even in the cold Ohio winters it cranked out enough heat that we'd HAVE to leave the window above it open just to keep things from getting too hot :D

The one in the RV is no different. I fired it up and about 3 minutes later was ready to shut it down because it was getting uncomfortably warm.

We do have a CO detector, LP leak detector, and Smoke detector...but Amy was still nervous.

Rocketscientist was along this trip and brought his newest toy, and high end CO exposure meter with digital read out of the current CO PPM. So he brought it in when I fired up the heater and was unable to detect ANY CO anywhere around it. None above, behind, next to, beneath, in the output, in the input...none anywhere. Downwind from the campfire it was reading 14-18PPM.

So our heater is actually safer than the campfire from a CO perspective.

I'm still not going to sleep with it on, and I'm still always going to leave the window above it open, the roof vent above it open and usually the door next to it open when we're using it. But it's good to know that it really is clean burning even if it's still important to remember the other side of the equation and make sure there's enough O2 available for the heater and anyone in the RV.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Just wear one of these and you can run any heater you want...

GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:17 pm

Seriously now...

If you run one of the Mr Heaters, which have a low O2 shut off, and you run a CO2 detector..and you have a windowed or vent cracked open, you'll be fine.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:59 pm

ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

MattV
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by MattV » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:51 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. An RV furnace. They vent to the outside and draw from the outside. You still need to be using a CO and a LP gas and smoke detector, but that's the best solution. You could probably rob the furnace, thermostat, and and all the plumbing and wiring from one of those donor rigs. And the detectors too, just make sure they work.
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

ddjthomas
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ddjthomas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Sandcock wrote:I get cold now to (the age thing). If the esposa doesn't come to keep me warm, I use a down comforter over my sleeping bag, crawl into the bag with sweats, socks and a knit cap to keep my bald head warm :lol:
=D>
The knit cap is the right thing to do for bald people (I do it too). But as for wearing sweats to bed that is the wrong thing. In the military sleeping in a lot of really cold places, I learned that it is way better to only have on socks, underwear and a t-shirt (or undershirt). You will stay much warmer. As for getting up in the morning, put the clothes you plan on wearing inside the sleeping bag and they will be toasty warm to put on in the morning :D
Sandcock wrote:

What happens in Glamis :!: Stays in Glamis :!: But I don't want to know anything about it :lol:
Donny
AKA: Digger
feet in the sand.....
you gatta love that

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm

ddjthomas wrote: put the clothes you plan on wearing inside the sleeping bag and they will be toasty warm to put on in the morning :D

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!!! What I was doing since I got the heat lamp is once I was set on getting up I'd immedeatly turn on the inverter, that turned on the lamp that was positioned to warm my clothes that I drapped over a chair the night before. That worked pretty good but probably not as good as putting the clothes in my bed with me. =D> =D> =D>

GoofyDuner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by GoofyDuner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 am

Jon,,,justin here..I have the best old camping heater..It works great in my 20ft. enclosed.It takes about 5 min. until I have to shut it off..I will show you this weekend[[[[[[[ come inside where its warm]]]]]]]
Dune Riders..If your not cranken on it,you must be Yanken on it......

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:47 am

GoofyDuner wrote:Jon,,,justin here..I have the best old camping heater..It works great in my 20ft. enclosed.It takes about 5 min. until I have to shut it off..I will show you this weekend[[[[[[[ come inside where its warm]]]]]]]

JUSTIN!!!! Why don't I trust you? I could only imagine what you use. I'm picturing some blow torches, like Robert uses to make Nachos. Ya I said "some" with some industral pizza oven venting around it pointed from the front of the trailer towards the back, with burn marks on the celing.

Cool thing for this weekend, besides you and Drew being there will be it'll be hot all day so cool nights will kick butt!!!

GoofyDuner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by GoofyDuner » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:05 am

remember,,,what happens in Glamis,goes on you tube
Dune Riders..If your not cranken on it,you must be Yanken on it......

MattV

Post by MattV » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:24 pm

GoofyDuner wrote:remember,,,what happens in Glamis,goes on you tube
Some things should never be searched for.

valen76
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by valen76 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Jon have you tried the heat the water till it boils or is warm before you crawl out of the bed? Just stage it so you can fire it up while still in the bed.
Darrin
68 Baja Bug
86 TRX310R
98 Bounder
06 Chevy

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Check out:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... oryid=3000

then

http://www.rverscorner.com/catalytic.html

My buddy uses something very similar in his trailer - hasn't killed him yet.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:Check out:

then

Thats exactly what myu wife picked up. I never got it out of the box this weekend because it was on the warm side. Infact two weeks ago it was 4 plus blanket weather. This weekend was 2 blanket with no heater needed and the box was almost too warm to just fire up the burner to make coffee. Had to crack a window just to cool the place off.

I guess the perfect way to ensure proper tempature is to do every thing to prepare for it so when you get out there you have a bunch of other shtuff you don't need. #-o

I'm ready for it now with TWO "new" heaters, but I just didn't need them with the 46 degree nights, and 80 degree days...in January.

MattV

Post by MattV » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Sloppyduner wrote:
Vincent J Brunasso wrote:Check out:

then

Thats exactly what myu wife picked up. I never got it out of the box this weekend because it was on the warm side. Infact two weeks ago it was 4 plus blanket weather. This weekend was 2 blanket with no heater needed and the box was almost too warm to just fire up the burner to make coffee. Had to crack a window just to cool the place off.

I guess the perfect way to ensure proper tempature is to do every thing to prepare for it so when you get out there you have a bunch of other shtuff you don't need. #-o

I'm ready for it now with TWO "new" heaters, but I just didn't need them with the 46 degree nights, and 80 degree days...in January.

It's just like tools, parts and everything else. If you have it, you wont need it.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 pm

The smart thing to do is install a RV furnace. Fumes exit the living area. Any other way is just like throwing dice, with your existence on the line. If you go the cheap route, don't turn the heat on and then jump back in bed. That is when people die, falling back to sleep.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”