Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

CPAP in the dunes

Post by DuneRookie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:54 am

Sloppyduner wrote:Oh noooooo. Yep!!! I like the soothing sounds of a generator. I'm not being sarcastic either. I really do. There is a guy in camp who uses a c-pap machine. He needs a generator all night long for that. If he doesn't use it he will fall asleep during the day. Now I know thats a one in a hundred that you'll find that, but I know he does his best to get the quietest generator he can. I "help him out" by parking where I can hear it (keep others away :wink: )
I too use a CPAP. However there are other ways to accomplish the goal. I have a separate 12 volt set up. Worked flawlessly for 6 days with only 2 separate charges during daytime hours. 1 charge for about 30 minutes and another day for about 45 mins. This was my first time useing this set up and I know about being tired camping from previous trips without my CPAP.

This is the forum I learned about a 12 volt set up.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html

And this is where I ordered the connectors to use my 12 volt set up. Look for Power Solutions.

http://www.cpap.com/

Got battery from WalMart. Deep Cycle Marine 125 MAH. Hope this is helpful.

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Kudos again

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Guilty, :roll: it is I that they speak of. Shortly after I obtained my C-PAP machine I purchased a 12 volt adapter for it, but was disapointed to find out that it was only good up to a certain pressure rating. Unfortunately, my pressure rating was 4 units above what it was good for, so I have been runing it off of my generator ever since. The first time I went out with it I had a 1850 watt generator that I ran it off of from costco... I unfortunately didn't think about how loud it would be until I got out there, and let me tell you that was two nights of me being a big Richard. After that weekend, I ran out and purchased a yamaha 1000 watt, and had that unit until Thanksgiving, when it finally bit the dust. I replaced it with a honda eu2000i, which I think is even quiter than the yamaha that I had (honda eu2000i 53 to a max of 59 decibels). I run it inside the bed of my truck with the exhaust pointing towards the bed pointed at the inner circle of camp (plus it keeps it out of the dirt). I found that it is quiter this way and most of the small amount of noise that is generated is rebounded up and outside of our camp. When it is dead silent outside, if I listen closely I can barely hear it idleing from about 20 feet away (which is where it runs all night). I really hope that I don't bother anyone in camp with this, and if I did I would hope that they would tell me. The last thing that I want to be is the Richard of the Washroad Nation. :wink:

DuneRookie if you know where I can get a 12 volt adapter for my Respironics REMstar plus that is good up to 16 let me know and I will get it and try it out. I wouldn't think that it would kill my two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm

You know I dig your genny George. 19!?!?! REALLY? Dang!!! I think mine was 8.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:48 am

DuneRookie if you know where I can get a 12 volt adapter for my Respironics REMstar plus that is good up to 16 let me know and I will get it and try it out. I wouldn't think that it would kill my two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
I will do some homework and see what I can come up with. :)

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:08 am

You know I got to thinking that this may be good info for others that that use or would like to use CPAP while camping. I would bet there are many others on this board with similar needs. Maybe consider making it it's own thread. Possibly Dune camping survival?

You are correct on more pressure equals more drain. I am at a 10.5 myself.

Below is a link to a discussion about CPAP and batterys. It does a pretty good job of explaining how to use and maintain battery operation for CPAP use. IMHO.

This last trip was the first time I used my portable set up and WOW! what a difference on how I felt the next day vs. not using my device. I went for the highest Amp Hours (125) I could find. True it's a big heavy battery but worth the effort. I need to get me a digital volt meter to be sure to not over drain and properly maintain my battery. That way it can be charged during the day if needed. Someone always has a generator and if not there is always solar.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=28154

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:20 pm

DuneRookie wrote:You know I got to thinking that this may be good info for others that that use or would like to use CPAP while camping. I would bet there are many others on this board with similar needs. Maybe consider making it it's own thread. Possibly Dune camping survival?

You are correct on more pressure equals more drain. I am at a 10.5 myself.

Below is a link to a discussion about CPAP and batterys. It does a pretty good job of explaining how to use and maintain battery operation for CPAP use. IMHO.

This last trip was the first time I used my portable set up and WOW! what a difference on how I felt the next day vs. not using my device. I went for the highest Amp Hours (125) I could find. True it's a big heavy battery but worth the effort. I need to get me a digital volt meter to be sure to not over drain and properly maintain my battery. That way it can be charged during the day if needed. Someone always has a generator and if not there is always solar.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=28154
My problem isn't getting a battery that can live, the problem that I ran into was that the 12 volt cord from Respironics was rated to a lower number than what my C-PAP was actually set at. If my memory serves me correctly, the cord that I had bought was only good up to 12 and I'm set at 16, so I just sent it back. I know that those units aren't cheap and the last thing that I wanted to do was burn it up, or the 12 volt adapter. I am trying to get a hold of a Respironics representative, but haven't had any luck so far. I will let you know what I find. We can move this topic into dune camping survival, I think it would probably help others on the board as well 8) Thanks, DuneRookie :wink:

Well, I've been on hold for 30 minutes to Respironics, but I did find this http://global.respironics.com/UserGuide ... nglish.pdf while I was looking, but it still doesn't tell me what pressure setting that it is rated to ](*,)
'05 TRX450R

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: CPAP in the dunes

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 am

These CPAP machines can run on 110, can't they? If so, why not just use a good inverter on a large enough battery bank. Then charge up the batteries during the day?

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:33 pm

I just went 3 days on my battery set up without a charge. Havnt checked yet to see how much juice is left. I will try to remember to check this evening and post results.

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Checked battery. Had 80% charge left. Very cool. Goal is to not go below 50% before a recharge. So based on that I could do 4 days for sure and maybe 5 on a single charge.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:31 pm

WoodIsGood wrote:These CPAP machines can run on 110, can't they? If so, why not just use a good inverter on a large enough battery bank. Then charge up the batteries during the day?
I run my CPAP off my inverter every night.

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20 pm

DuneRookie wrote:Checked battery. Had 80% charge left. Very cool. Goal is to not go below 50% before a recharge. So based on that I could do 4 days for sure and maybe 5 on a single charge.

I don't know if you have a way of doing this, but if at all possible can you see how many amps your cpap draws while running it off of 12 volts. Do you notice any decrease in pressure as the battery drops? Thanks
'05 TRX450R

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:12 am

GlamisSandDuner wrote:
DuneRookie wrote:Checked battery. Had 80% charge left. Very cool. Goal is to not go below 50% before a recharge. So based on that I could do 4 days for sure and maybe 5 on a single charge.

I don't know if you have a way of doing this, but if at all possible can you see how many amps your cpap draws while running it off of 12 volts. Do you notice any decrease in pressure as the battery drops? Thanks
If someone can tell me how to do an amp draw check I will do that. I do have a volt meter. As for pressure drop I have not noticed any at all. Appears constant. I do disconnect everything soon as I get up so I dont have any residual drain. I will report again after the Prez weekend and see if I get similar results.

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:12 am

DuneRookie wrote:
GlamisSandDuner wrote:

If someone can tell me how to do an amp draw check I will do that. I do have a volt meter. As for pressure drop I have not noticed any at all. Appears constant. I do disconnect everything soon as I get up so I dont have any residual drain. I will report again after the Prez weekend and see if I get similar results.

To check for amperage draw, you need to have the multimeter hooked up inline. Disconnect the positive lead from the battery, connect the meter lead to the battery, then connect the positive lead to the meter.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

djw
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by djw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm

you need to have the multimeter hooked up inline.
Make sure that your VOM or DMM can handle the amperage. Typically they are only milliamps.
Other wize it's smoke city, and you can't put the magic smoke back in.
:wink:
djw
W8AME

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:37 pm

I was reading my user manual and it said max output is 3 amps. Just based on usage experience so far I am guessing but possibly only pulling about 1.5 amps give or take. I will try to see if I can figure out what I need to do to test. While I wouldnt want to smoke my little meter reader it was fairly inexpensive. So not sure what to expect. If I get it figured out I will play with the presure and see what difference that makes. Wont be till this weekend though.

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Ok finally was able to do amp draw with GSD's help. Tested both our units and seems only to pull about a single amp. That's good news. Based on that could easily do a 5 night trip with no recharge. Based on a 125 mah battery.

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 pm

DuneRookie wrote:Ok finally was able to do amp draw with GSD's help. Tested both our units and seems only to pull about a single amp. That's good news. Based on that could easily do a 5 night trip with no recharge. Based on a 125 mah battery.
Thanks again for letting me check the amperage draw while using it on 12 volts. =D> Your BIPAP ranged from .3 to .8 amps at a pressure of 10.5 so about an average of half an amp(.5A). My CPAP took about .8 amps to 1.2 amps at a pressure of 14 which averaged out to be about 1 amp of draw. What was odd about both machines is that they drew about .5 amp more when they the mask was not on your head :-k . I would have figured that the added restistance of the air blowing into a sealed mask and building pressure would of caused the amperage to rise instead of falling about half an amp, but I was wrong. When I checked DuneRookie's battery it was at 12.71 volts after using it all night with out recharging it. He uses a big 12 volt deep cell, marine type battery and it looks like it works great. Definitely worth a good nights sleep, and a lot less wear and tear then running a generator all night. I am going to go ahead and pick up one of those 12 volt adapters so I can quit running the generator all night, sorry Jon :wink:
'05 TRX450R

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:07 pm

OK heres a tip. First, most know I tent camp. I do not have a heater/humidifier and while on battery couldn't use it anyway. So when it gets below about 65 degrees at night which it does during the season my mask will fill with condensation and I swear I almost drown. So to counter that I had a great idea. Put the CPAP inside my sleeping bag. Wow that worked great as my body heat was warm enough to heat the air thus no condensation. Just one draw back. Do not, I repeat, Do not pass gas while CPAP is in bag. :mrgreen: [-X :shock: You have been warned.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmm, I never thought of that before.
There's a fine line between drowning and suffocating. :lol:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Woodglue wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmm, I never thought of that before.

In hind sight although not at the time of occurance it was pretty funny. My son was laughing his backside off. He woke up as I was ripping my mask off gasping for fresh air. :mrgreen:

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:39 pm

Still laughing at that! :lol:
Last night, when we went to bed, I told my wife about it. She didn't find it to be as funny as I do. :-k
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Woodglue wrote:Still laughing at that! :lol:
Last night, when we went to bed, I told my wife about it. She didn't find it to be as funny as I do. :-k
What's with chicks and flatulence anyway, like they never pass a little gas here and there :|
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:58 am

DuneRookie wrote:
Woodglue wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmm, I never thought of that before.

In hind sight although not at the time of occurance it was pretty funny. My son was laughing his backside off. He woke up as I was ripping my mask off gasping for fresh air. :mrgreen:

Ok here is an update. I discovered that if I place just my air tubing into my sleeping bag it helps to warm the tube thus reducing the "rain out" moisture issue and completley solves the back pressure exhaust problem as well. Tried this at home and in the dunes with much success. :mrgreen:

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:06 pm

I may start having to do that with my tube. I don't have a moisture issue, but that ice cold air really makes it hard to fall asleep sometimes. Thanks DuneRookie for turning me onto the 12volt connection through cpap.com =D> , it works great with the two 6 volts in the trailer, just have to make sure I charge up the batteries during the day so that the heater doesn't kick the cpap off. I think it cuts out at about 12.2 volts, and if that happens I have to go outside in the middle of the night and turn on the honda 2000....... it's cold outside at night in January :shock:
'05 TRX450R

Dennis AKA Walter
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dennis AKA Walter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 pm

George said
"and if that happens I have to go outside in the middle of the night and turn on the honda 2000....... it's cold outside at night in January "

Boo Hoo!!!! :cry:

You know I love ya George :!:
"enjoy your ride"

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 am

Looks like i have a volunteer to go out and start the generator in the middle of the night. Thanks Dennis
'05 TRX450R

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:29 am

George, have you considered getting an additional battery. I picked up my marine battery at Walley World for I think about $ 80. 125MAH. I can go 5 days easy without a charge and still be above 50% remaining charge. Hit it with a charge during the day and you could be set for many days on end. Just a thought. Glad the info worked out. The cold air breathing is definately uncomfortable. Warming the air tube made a significant difference. For me anyway.

GlamisSandDuner

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 am

DuneRookie wrote:George, have you considered getting an additional battery. I picked up my marine battery at Walley World for I think about $ 80. 125MAH. I can go 5 days easy without a charge and still be above 50% remaining charge. Hit it with a charge during the day and you could be set for many days on end. Just a thought. Glad the info worked out. The cold air breathing is definately uncomfortable. Warming the air tube made a significant difference. For me anyway.
I don't want to have to deal with another battery and it hasn't shut off on me yet, but when it does shut off I will be looking at that idea a little closer. Someone told me that they sell cpap tube covers on eBay that help with the cold air issue, I will try to find it on eBay and post a link.
'05 TRX450R

teardrop
1st Gear Member

Post by teardrop » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:45 am

remember if you need an oxygen concentrator in your cpap. you will need a true sine inverter usually over 600 watts.

http://www.outsidesupply.com/600-watt-p ... erter.aspx

The oxygen concentrator can be damaged by a modified sine inverter, plus it won't work.

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:02 pm

GlamisSandDuner wrote:
DuneRookie wrote:George, have you considered getting an additional battery. I picked up my marine battery at Walley World for I think about $ 80. 125MAH. I can go 5 days easy without a charge and still be above 50% remaining charge. Hit it with a charge during the day and you could be set for many days on end. Just a thought. Glad the info worked out. The cold air breathing is definately uncomfortable. Warming the air tube made a significant difference. For me anyway.
I don't want to have to deal with another battery and it hasn't shut off on me yet, but when it does shut off I will be looking at that idea a little closer. Someone told me that they sell cpap tube covers on eBay that help with the cold air issue, I will try to find it on eBay and post a link.
I have read up on covers and they sounded awkward. And unless they are heated I dont think you will get the benefit. Seriously though placing part of tube under the covers has worked pretty well for me. Just enough warmth to take the chill off.

Dennis AKA Walter
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dennis AKA Walter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 pm

GlamisSandDuner wrote:Looks like i have a volunteer to go out and start the generator in the middle of the night. Thanks Dennis
"enjoy your ride"

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:37 pm

OK so 4 full nights on the battery and I still have a 75% charge left and the battery has been sitting since the New year trip. =D>

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”