Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Time for a GPS

Post by Sloppyduner » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:59 am

Last Friday we were out on a "Gail ride". We came up on a hill near some closure stakes. None of us could figure out what hill we were at, nonetheless they started up and down the hill. "Aly" was enjoying the hill the most it seemed until his bike tried to beat him down the hill. Pretty evil bike. It smooshed him once trying to get down the hill but in the end, as they reached the bottom it was dead even with Robert under the bike. The bike claimed victory as it rolled off Robert, leaving Robert slightly up hill.

I got to thinking on my drive home, "What if Robert was seriously hurt. Besides the closure stakes what other land marks did we have?" Ckukzilla has always said a GPS and charged cell phone are two must haves now on a ride. Its starting to hit home with me.

Washroad, Rich B, Aly, and I were the only ones on that ride who use this bbs. Did any of you have a GPS, plan, or even think about this later? I know Aly usually has a GPS on him. Digging through a hurt persons pants to try to figure out their GPS doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I know Washer had one back in camp. I don't think Rich has one. I know for sure I don't have one. I'm thinking, since I'm now in the position to pick one up, I should start looking for a good deal.

For a long long time I thought GPS were for newbies who couldn't find camp. But now Im starting to see the light. Either that or I'm getting old.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Time for a GPS

Post by WoodIsGood » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 am

I have a GPS on my quad on all rides. In my mind it's an essential piece of safety equipment - when coupled with a cell phone. An even better coupling might be a ham radio, but I don't have that license. Most any of the hand-held GPSs should work fine for this. Though some have trouble dealing with the engine vibrations when mounted on a quad or bike.

I make sure at least one other person along on every ride knows how to use my GPS enough to determine our location, and knows that my cell phone is in my left front pants pocket. If I were to get incapacitate I want someone to be able to use my GPS and cell phone to get help to me. In my cell phone I have numbers for BLM and ICSO (both listed under "Glamis - ___) in addition to the obvious 911.

Fortunately I've never had to use my GPS for an emergency yet, and hope I never do. But I have helped a broken down motorcyclist get help sent from camp (his dad had left him in the dunes and went to get parts but was having trouble finding him again) and a stuck rail get tow help. And I frequently get asked things like "how far is it to _____" which is easy to answer.
Sloppyduner wrote:I know Washer had one back in camp.
Washer, we talked about this a year ago Thanksgiving. You need to learn how to use that GPS and start carrying it. What if your "mean" wife's slow speed crash a long while back that cracked her ribs had been more serious? Wouldn't you want to get help to her as quickly as possible? OK, I'm done scolding now.

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:05 am

As technology challenged as I am, I'm starting to get the idea of how to use my GPS. I have a very "user friendly" one. I always thought they had to stay out in the open once turned on and you were "found" by the sats. According to Robert, not so. He turns his on, gets found, and puts it in his backpack and it'll still track where you are once you bring it back out. OK, so now I'm going to start doing that. I know how to use it to mark a waypoint and how to use it to get back to camp.

I also have a better cell phone than I used to have; holds a charge up to 4 days even with my "normal" usage. That will be carried from now on also.

John, I want to know about the radio setup you have with your helmets! Tell me about it!! I'd really like to get something like that also. If I'd had that, I could've warned Gail about not going over that razorback, and I could help direct her back to camp or wherever.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:04 pm

I put THIS on my Christmas wish list. Will it work for what I want?

The only reason I looked at QVC is because my mother-in-law seems to get packages twice a day from there. And she asked justy yesterday what I wanted. The price range seems about right for what she spends each year. I didn't want to ask for much more than something that will work to mark my location.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Sloppyduner wrote:
I got to thinking on my drive home, "What if Robert was seriously hurt. Besides the closure stakes what other land marks did we have?" Ckukzilla has always said a GPS and charged cell phone are two must haves now on a ride. Its starting to hit home with me.
I had a GPS in my pack (and a cell phone) on that ride \:D/ Listen to CZ, he knows what he's talking about.
ASA Member

RichB

Post by RichB » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Sloppyduner wrote:I put THIS on my Christmas wish list. Will it work for what I want?

The only reason I looked at QVC is because my mother-in-law seems to get packages twice a day from there. And she asked justy yesterday what I wanted. The price range seems about right for what she spends each year. I didn't want to ask for much more than something that will work to mark my location.
I'll pass on to you what was passed on to me a few years back when I was asking what to get:

#1. Make sure you get one that will connect to your PC straight out of the box.

#2. Get one that is designed to be used outside in rugged environments (water, dust, vibration etc).

#3. Make sure you get one that will connect to your PC straight out of the box.

I didn't think I really needed that (the PC connectivity) but right away I was so happy I got one that had it.

The one you show looks a little small (screen wise) and perhaps a little short on features however, I don't keep up on GPS products. I know the Magellan one I picked up has been real tough and has done everything I need. The only thing I bought for an accessory was the bike mount, which I had mounted on the "dash" of the buggy and have since moved it to the handlebars on the dual sport.
ASA Member

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:49 pm

The Garmin Gecko isn't a bad GPS...but it is a little feature limited, and that price is a little high. I've seen it for <$80 at chain stores. (Actually it's the Gecko 101 that I've seen for <$80, I guess right around $100 is what the 201 is going for and that looks like the 201 in your link.)

I'd suggest an eTrex since they're a little bigger, little fancier, and can be had for <$100 if you shop around.

This is the one I currently have:
Garmin Legend @ Amazon

It's a lot nicer for about the same price.

alyshka
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by alyshka » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:44 pm

I keep my GPS in my Camel pack, no room for it in my paints :wink:

Had it been mounted on my bike it would have been killed in that little roll over.

I've had that GPS for a long time now I got years ago for backpacking. After hearing the Ranger talking how much easer it is to find you when they know excatly where you be I started keeping it with me. Now it is cool to look at the stats after those #2 (clay) rides
Robert Hancock
"The task that has fallen to us as Americans is to keep alive the hope and dream of freedom"
Ronald Reagan
alyshka r.i.p. 1987-2004
Alyshka's Photos

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:08 am

alyshka wrote:Now it is cool to look at the stats after those #2 (clay) rides

Yes it is very cool to have the stats for your rides....I was suprised to find out the average moving speeds of our rides, and it is always fun to get the official recap from you =D>
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Glenn
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glenn » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:33 pm

I have one of the Garmin Rino 110 GPS / FRS combo units that I have used for years and love. I was riding with Wood-is-Good a couple weekends ago and he uses the same headset that I have but stopped as the kids keep braking them. The mic keep getting torn off when the kids took off the helmet.

Having the radio and GPS in one unit can be a benifite. Only one thing to mount and carry, but if it fails, both are down. I like the one feature that the Garmin has that will show the location of others using the same equipement. That way I can find the kids easy if we get seperated. Even works at Disneland (SP?)

I will find the link to the headsets that I used and post it with a link to radio/gps.

The Rino does have one problem. The batterys can vibrate and loose connection. I always wired it into my quad to run off the bike, and never had problems with the thing quiting. Others have not been so lucky.

GPS / Raido:
http://www.gpsnow.com/gmr110.htm

Headset:
http://www.csonline.net/crawford/Helmet ... efault.htm

There are a lot of differant type of connectors to match the raido that you are using. The headset site also has complete systems with raidos, headsets, everything needed to set up 2 people, along with the Garmin Rino 110 units.
Last edited by Glenn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
KF6IAT
Go fast, turn left, and look both ways and have FUN

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:05 am

Glenn wrote:The Rino does have one problem. The batterys can vibrate and loose connection.
Had the same problem with a couple of our FRS radios. Fixed it by putting a small wad of cotton ball under the battery tabs (springs) so they wouldn't flex as easily. Haven't had a problem since.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:42 pm

I think I'll have to put a GPS on my ToDo list :wink: I might have some room on that little front lightbar my 250R has :roll: It would be good to have & the seat of your pants internal GPS does no good like you said if you're the one that's hurt :shock: Good coordinance like longitude & latitude vs. over there could make all the difference in an emergency :idea: Something tough & reasonably priced would be good :)

By the way my cell phone is in my Camelback with Kristy's # on speeddial #1 :idea:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 am

My GPS is 114 feet out of position since last year?
Or someone move my City around the the IE :shock:
What gives?

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:38 am

RAD4EVER wrote:My GPS is 114 feet out of position since last year?
Or someone move my City around the the IE :shock:
What gives?
What make/model and how old is it? Has it been off for a long time? If so did you give it some time out in the open with a good clear view of the sky?

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 pm

When my kids rode with me we had 2 GPSs. One on my bike and another on one of the other quads. If it was just us on a ride occasionally I would stop. Wait for the kids to stop and fall on the ground. I would tell them I am hurt and one of them needs to go back to camp and get help. They had to decide who was going back to camp and how he could find his way back. Talking to my wife at camp was the proof they made it back to camp. First time I did this drill it was chaos. With practice they got much better.

You can talk about accidents and still not remember what to do. Once they actually did it themselves their confidence increased.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”