Is there a high cost of Kennels in the last couple of years?

Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Is there a high cost of Kennels in the last couple of years?

Post by RAD4EVER » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:21 am

Road conditions pretty much dictate where class "A" coaches are able to park, most washes are taken up by said vehicles and whatever they're hauling and 35 plus 5th wheel trailers?
Would most agree.....pretty pricey, yes?
Has anyone notice there's been an increase of wandering dogs loose/lost in the camps?
Why are they being tether or caged...left unattended?
Zilla Buck Rigs and owners too tight to park their pets for a weekend?
Presidents Day, I **** well nearly took a Blond/Gold Lab home for free!
I wouldn't have, just feeling sorry for him while the Ranger collared him and drove off.
Past TD, A lap Shizu/WhatZoo came to our camp and parked herself on my lap during my Hallmark Moment coffee/cake morning breakfast and most of the afternoon.
**** animal broke my heart, when some kids came into camp, recognized her and took her away!
Wife and I walked the last TD and counted two animals wondering around the Glamis Store area with tails tucked under?
Maybe instinct guided them to watch for owners exiting the place where they first entered?
I would like to think so.
What is the daily price of kennels lately?
RAD

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Glamisbound » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:49 am

To Kennel a dog for the day averages I say $25. So if you drop them off Friday and don't get home early enough to pick them up Sunday, you are looking a $100 per dog for 4 days. Plus the time to run them back and forth.

Personally I don't think the lack of willingness of people to kennel their dogs is the problem. The problem is that many dog owners do not teach their dogs to behave. How many times have you heard someone call for their dog and then have the dog just blow them off??? All the time!!!

I love bringing my dogs to the desert b/c they love it too. Difference is my dogs know the boundaries, they don't wander off, and they do what I tell them or the get a stiff kick in the rear end. My dogs could be chasing a rabbit and I could call them off and they will stop.

Bottom line, people need to train their dogs. If they can control them, then they shouldn't even have them IMO.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:44 pm

[quote="Glamisbound"]To Kennel a dog for the day averages I say $25. So if you drop them off Friday and don't get home early enough to pick them up Sunday, you are looking a $100 per dog for 4 days. Plus the time to run them back and forth.
GB,
Didn't know that rates were that high!
Now I have a new gig......I'm going to set up air conditioned/sound-proof Kennel Trailer!
Seriously, glad to see there's someone who'll take time and care for animals.
But, how about all the WolfBait" scattered in the Washes/Campground/Dunes left by animals and humans?
We know most dogs without a thought, gobble them up in a second.
That in itself would force them (owners) to heighten their diligence regarding dogs/animals.
Here's one for fun!
One huge Blue-Yellow Parrot jumping/flying from trailer to trailer.
Can see that it's flying feathers were clip?
Later,
RAD

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Glamisbound wrote:To Kennel a dog for the day averages I say $25. So if you drop them off Friday and don't get home early enough to pick them up Sunday, you are looking a $100 per dog for 4 days. Plus the time to run them back and forth.
I pay a bit more than that. I dropped my dogs off on Tuesday afternoon before Thanksgiving, picked them up on Monday morning. I also supply the food for the dogs. Still cost me over $200.00 or over $36.00 per day. That's more than I spent on gasoline for the moho!

Was it worth it? Yep!

My dogs aren't good campers. They like the kennel, I don't have to worry about them all weekend, no get up at 4am to take them for walks to do business they should've done at 10pm, no worry about my rotty biting people, they won't get lost, etc.

So, if you want to setup a kennel at the dunes, let's talk! :D
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm

My estimate was definitely conservative. I have paid $35 per day before.

The kennels sounds like a really cool idea. I'm sure the BLM would never sign off on it though so it would probably have to be on private property. Maybe you could set something up with GBS, they seem to be selling themselves out for anything these days. :-s
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 am

Washroad wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:To Kennel a dog for the day averages I say $25. So if you drop them off Friday and don't get home early enough to pick them up Sunday, you are looking a $100 per dog for 4 days. Plus the time to run them back and forth.
I pay a bit more than that. I dropped my dogs off on Tuesday afternoon before Thanksgiving, picked them up on Monday morning. I also supply the food for the dogs. Still cost me over $200.00 or over $36.00 per day. That's more than I spent on gasoline for the moho!

Was it worth it? Yep!

My dogs aren't good campers. They like the kennel

So, if you want to setup a kennel at the dunes, let's talk! :D
Doing business with BLM, is like pulling teeth with a pair of tweezers!
Having done events for various agencies have taught one thing....the more
you ask, the more they resist!
Sir, can those people(s) in "Kennel Denial".... at least agree "Most" if not "All" animals are terrified by "Loud Fireworks"......overly "Loud" exhaust systems?
What type of training would a dog go through in order to stay within the camp boundaries of a hundred campsites during the Nightly Glamis "Bang n Lite Show"?
Hunt dogs.... maybe?
Most dogs would and have checked out of town!
Not to mention other types of critters at campsite's!
I swear.....the next time a neat looking $hitZoo jumps on my lap...it's mine!
RAD....DogNapper

Washroad

Post by Washroad » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:58 am

Hey Rad,
If I can get my rotty to jump in your lap will you keep him???

Please?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He really is a big (only 150+ lbs) baby and just loves to sit in laps and drink coffee and eat cake! He'd love you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When can I send him over? If you look cross-eyed he looks like a $hitZoo! :lol: :lol:
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:10 pm

Washroad wrote:Hey Rad,
If I can get my rotty to jump in your lap will you keep him???

Please?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He really is a big (only 150+ lbs) baby and just loves to sit in laps and drink coffee and eat cake! He'd love you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When can I send him over? If you look cross-eyed he looks like a $hitZoo! :lol: :lol:
Ha! Ha! Ha!
Only if you send 10,000 pounds of dog food and one huge shovel!
RAD......very small dog-napper!!!!
PS: One look at me, Rotty will think I'm a soup bone? 80(

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Is there a high cost of Kennels in the last couple of years?

Post by RAD4EVER » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:09 am

What is with dog owners?
They bring their animals to the dunes and expect those around them accept their dogs barking?
You've see them setting up fenced barriers in back of their RV's, trailers or tents and stick them inside for the duration?
We had a guy parked near (Next to) our group bring his monster horse of a dog tied upped between his pick-up and trailer. You could pretty much guess it? Guy was walking around his campsite with a mad dog look if anyone displayed a once of disdain or pain hearing his dog bark?
Being a person of few words, I walked over and kindly said "Please"?
Him and his buddy in two seconds got flared upped with "What"?
I smile and told them "I'm not here to argue" and walked away.
Guess my problem wasn't only with myself but others.....cause a Ranger came to talk with them while their War-Horse dog was trying to munch the same Rangers leg?
Don't know what was said, but from the look.... the dog owner was really put out?
Again don't know what the Ranger told him, but the barking situation was taken care of?
RAD4EVER

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:11 am

RAD,

Wow, you managed to revive a thread that was a year old! Times have changed though as Washroad's situation has changed substantially....(Washroad, you need to update how you do it currently).

Sad to say but your experience is just 1 more example of how people act as though the world revolves around them. Trouble is, most of them believe it so if you have the audacity to actually engage them on a matter they automatically fly off the handle *how dare you*? Used to be one didn't hardly see that within the off road crowd. Those days, unfortunately, are LONG gone. :cry:

For us, we've always brought our dog(s) with us. Every dog we've owned LOVED to ride in the truck and go camping. Years ago we put our Lab in a kennel, he got kennel cough, and we spent the next 4-6 weeks listening to him hack, going to the vets, giving him meds, watching him get shots in the throat and generally just putting up with a serious amount of hassle. 99% of the time the dogs go with us, the other 1% we find someone to house/dog sit.
ASA Member

Washroad

Post by Washroad » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:01 am

Yes, my dog situation has changed.

We had to let the Rotty go and it was very sad for us back in March.

In April, we got a new puppy and he's now 10 months old. Border Collie/ Lab mix. Very sweet natured dog and he's going to stay that way.

Sophie is still with us (Shepard/Husky mix) and she's almost 10 years old. The puppy drives her crazy.

They bark. Sophie is a guard dog. She watches everything. When out camping, Panda does the watching and Sophie takes a break.

We clean up after them. They stay inside our coach at night and are quiet. If we go on a ride and have no one to watch them, we put them in the coach.

I don't mind dogs in camp at all. I don't mind if they bark some, or get noisy when playing.

My dogs are never off leash. Just me. I take care of them and take responsibility for them. I'd hate to lose them.

Gotta go.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 am

RichB wrote:RAD,

Wow, you managed to revive a thread that was a year old! Times have changed though as Washroad's situation has changed substantially....(Washroad, you need to update how you do it currently).

Sad to say but your experience is just 1 more example of how people act as though the world revolves around them. Trouble is, most of them believe it so if you have the audacity to actually engage them on a matter they automatically fly off the handle *how dare you*? Used to be one didn't hardly see that within the off road crowd. Those days, unfortunately, are LONG gone. :cry:

For us, we've always brought our dog(s) with us. Every dog we've owned LOVED to ride in the truck and go camping. Years ago we put our Lab in a kennel, he got kennel cough, and we spent the next 4-6 weeks listening to him hack, going to the vets, giving him meds, watching him get shots in the throat and generally just putting up with a serious amount of hassle. 99% of the time the dogs go with us, the other 1% we find someone to house/dog sit.

R-B,
Yeah.....seems I'ver rehashed an old thread, but....not so old as to continue to ask: Why do you (Not RB) bring a barking, deficating , urninating animal and expect those who travel a long distance to enjoy the dunes, beaches, mountains and parks? And to mad dog those folks who bring it to your attention concerning bad animal behavior?
No my young friend......the propose of my (Thread) comment is to praise Rangers responding in a timely manner to quell campers in a peaceful manner.
Harf harf,
RAD

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”