Safety tips

Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

CGMaxx
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Safety tips

Post by CGMaxx » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:27 pm

Hey, I am new to the forums and new to riding the dunes. I live up in Oregon and have been out a couple times with a friend of mine and recently purchased my first quad.

I have been doing alot of reading on here and do have alot of common sense when it comes to safety. I am pretty comfortable on the new machine (LTZ 400), but I am curious about general etiquete (sp) and hand signals while out riding on the dunes and dune trails. I just want to be as educated as possbile when I go out to ride.

Thanks....Jeff

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:35 am

<Moved from Wide Open Sand to Dune Safety • Survival • Camping>

Welcome to the board CGMaxx. :D

Its been a few years since I've spent any real time on an ATV, but here are few that can be used with any OHV.

Always crest a dune at an angle, never straight up & over.

No jumping without a spotter.

Just like the roadway, Keep to the Right.

If coming across another group the leader should make the other group aware that others are following with a raised hand. Raised fingers with the number to follow if possible.

One more and I'll give a chance for others to chime in. Have Fun and Be Safe \:D/
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

CGMaxx
1st Gear Member

Post by CGMaxx » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:20 am

Thanks Lobuck!

I was wondering about the hand signals and indicating the number of riders. I hate to sound ignorant, but is there a signal for the last rider to use to let the group know that the trail is clear now?

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Last rider hand signal

Post by Dunepilot » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:02 am

My understanding when riding in a single-file group, the hand signals begin with the leader. He/she holds up a hand with the appropriate number of fingers equal to the number of riders who are following. Each subequent rider does the same, obviously, showing one less finger, till the last rider.

As I recall, the "last rider hand signal" is: A closed hand (fist) with the fingers facing forward.

Those, in the know, who pass by me, generally give an understanding wave.

Any other versions, methods?
DunePilot

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Good stuff. Ive always just given a nice wave as the two groups tried to avoid each other. As long as the groups are duning like LoBuck suggested, not cutting accross dunes, but "going with the flow" nobody in either group has ever had to stop. Well......there was that ONE time with the corvair..... :lol:

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”