New Safety Whips

Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

racewerks
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

New Safety Whips

Post by racewerks » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:27 pm

Racewerks, Inc has developed a new lighted safety whip for buggies and quads for all you night riders. Best of all, ASA members can receive $10 off the retail price if purchased directly through the manufacturer. More information is available at http://www.wiredwhips.com

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:27 pm

The buggy whip is 1/2" diameter. I wonder if it is stiff enough? I like stiff stuff on my rail. Will this violate the new laws concerning colored lights?

What happens on the ATV whip (1/4" diameter) when you crash? Is it history?

Hey, maybe I should get some "Team Stiff Stuff" T-shirts made? How about "Team Stiff Stuff" shorts and a "Team Bolt-on" t-shirt. Now were talking! This could be a whole new career for me. I wonder if Paris Hilton would wear this? I have got to go. I need to Google and find Paris's phone number. Hello Paris, I have a new outfit for you. Yes, the cover of People would be perfect.....You don't HAVE to pay me, your happiness is enough for me.....Well alright, you can pay me if you insist....How many zeros are behind that number?......Thank you Paris. 909 421-2558.....Hellooo Funco, I need to order a new rail!!!!

It sounds sooo easy.
Last edited by Sand Commander on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

racewerks
1st Gear Member

Safety Whips

Post by racewerks » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:53 pm

After speaking with the powers that be in Sacramento, red or blue flashing lights/beacons that could be mistaken for emergency vehicles is a no-no. Since this is a whip and not a beacon, it is a little gray area. However, since the whips have a continuously on mode, I was told that they would be ok. Most of the rangers I have spoken to are fine with it. Many have never seen this new style whip. I showed some rangers at Pismo how it worked and they all want one now.

As for the 1/4" ATV whip, we found that the 5/16" whip, though stiffer, was more prone to snapping in the mid scetion of the whip. The 1/4" is more flexible and we haven't had one break under normal riding. Of the whips that have broke, all were due to crashes. Many broke at the mounting bolt. Since the lighting element is on the outside of the shaft, we simply cut the protective shield up a bit to expose more wire. Cut the fiberglass square above the break and put it right back in the mounting bolt. Everything worked fine. My 12 year old neighbor is an expert at doing this now whenever he misses the double jumps. When darkness comes, his whip still works.

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:17 pm

I am planning to run a large flag on my whip next season on my buggy. The buggy whip sounds great and I like the added visability at night. How much does the 1/2" whip flex? A stiffer whip means more safety.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

racewerks
1st Gear Member

Safety Whips

Post by racewerks » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:33 pm

The buggy whip is a tapered 1/2 fiberglass whip. It is solid all the way through versus some competitors that are hollow to allow for their wiring. Our illuminating wire is then wrapped around the outside if the whip and then covered with a Mil-Spec clear shrink tubing. This process also makes the whip stiffer than normal. The clear shrink tubing helps protect the illuminating wire from the elements and abrasions. The mounting fitting is 303 stainless steel 1/2"-20 (fine thread). It is designed to thread into a billet whip mount. You can also contact me off list for more info. 760-822-2428.

Voice
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Voice » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:46 pm

I've got one of these ATV whips and it seems very sturdy and well crafted.
They have top notch customer service as well. (My control unit malfunctioned and they sent me a new one from an invoice number in an email)

I plan on doing a full write up on our website after using the thing a bit but here is the preliminary report...

The ATV whip is nice and bright, though a bulb socket at top would be a nice addition. (I'm thinking of adding one myself)
The only concern I have is that it is very flexible and seems to bend straight back at even moderate speeds.

As for the cops having an issue with a blinking whip... Give me a break. That's one ticket I would take to the top. They are full of crap if they are going to try to tell me a blinking whip somehow confuses people into thinking it is an emergency vehicle. Honestly, some of this crap is getting a bit out of hand.
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

racewerks
1st Gear Member

Wired Whips Update

Post by racewerks » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:17 pm

I am glad you like our product. We have put a lot of effort into creating a high quality unit. As for some of your concerns, let me quickly address those. First, we purposely eliminated the bulb on top because they are always getting broken, or the sockets get corroded (Pismo Beach guys). Secondly, this product uses 4000 Hz AC current. The control unit is optimized for the amount of illuminating wire used in each model. Finding a bulb that would work under these conditions is almost impossible. A second wire specifically for the top bulb would have to be used.

As for the flexibility, this is on purpose. Our prototypes originally we built with the 5/16" shafts. We found that these shafts while being more rigid had a very high rate of breakage in the mid point of the shaft. Our fiberglass supplier said this is due to the stress put on the rod in the nature of our sport. We went with the 1/4" and have had virtually zero failures under normal riding conditions.

Lastly, while the law states that red and blue flashing "beacons" are illegal, the rangers I have spoken with have little concern. In the worst case, you could always select the solid mode to appease an officer. I hope this addresses any concerns.

By the way, Wired Whips are now available at Sweet Marie's on Gecko Road and at SandGear at Gordon's Well.

Ride safe.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:52 pm

I'd like to purchase one for my rail but couldn't find any price info or order info on your web site. Please advise. Thanks
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

racewerks
1st Gear Member

Wired Whip Purchase

Post by racewerks » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:59 pm

Wired Whips can be purchased through our dealers or directly through the website. Go to http://www.wiredwhips.com. Click on the dealer button to find a dealer near you or click the Buy Now button on the bottom of the page. I hope this helps.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:58 pm

Cool, didn't see the buy link at the bottom. You might want to make that more obvious for better sales. Any chance of adding a light socket at the top like Voice suggested?
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

racewerks
1st Gear Member

Wired Whips

Post by racewerks » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:24 pm

Hello Glamisbound,

At this time we have no plans for a light socket. (See my reply to Voice). While there are some advantages to having a light socket, we decided to not go that route. I, along with many satisfied customers, are happy that we no longer have to worry about broken bulbs, shields and sockets. Not only that, the hollow core whips are much weaker and are prone to splintering on the inside. For those of you with the traditional lighted whips that could never find the short, it's most likely due to the spintering. Our product may not be for eveyone's tastes and that is fine. We stand behind ours a strive to put out a product that will last. I have many L.E.D. whips in my shop with burned out lights. Sometimes I feel that simpler is better.

rbjcampi
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by rbjcampi » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:48 pm

I spoke to a Ranger in Buttercup late last season (around May) about the red/blue light. He said it would probably be used to stop you IF they thought there might be another reason you needed to be stopped. Also, your attitude (and I'm sure the cops also) would be the biggest reason for you to get a ticket

The moral...

If you don't want to get stopped because of some "other reason", go solid, if you do get stopped for it, you really decide if you get the ticket or not based on your attitude

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:56 pm

okay, last ?. How do I take advantage of the $10 asa discount. I tried to order through the site but it charged full price.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

racewerks
1st Gear Member

ASA Discount

Post by racewerks » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:33 pm

We are still working on our new shopping cart for our website. In the mean time, you will need to call us directly to receive your discount. Office hours are 8-5 M-F. (760) 822-2427. Have your ASA membership card ready.

racewerks
1st Gear Member

Rangers

Post by racewerks » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:41 pm

That's good feedback from the Ranger. Another tid bit that I found out about. If you don't have a red or orange flag on the top of your whip, you are also a target to get stopped. There are many novelty flags out there which are fine as long as they are below the red or orange flag. I recently received this info from Sacramento. In a nut shell, there are many different agencies helping to police the dunes these days. They are trained to follow the law. What used to have rangers turn a blind eye may now result in a stop. Again what Beansub said, attitude is everything.

Voice

Post by Voice » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:08 pm

Yes, I plan on running a second wire.
I will find appropriate "two wire" wire that is white and wrap it next to the EL wire using superglue.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:37 pm

Brian something else you may want to try is getting some clear shrink wrap to hold your other wire on. I planned on doing my homemade EL wire whip that way but my whip is VERY tapered and it would take too many different sizes of shrink wrap to do it completely. But I have used it on some standard whips with great success for friends.

I haven't seen the whips in question but having made my own EL wire whip I have to say that the EL wire can take a heck of a beating. Two weeks ago at the Frantzo customer weekend I had the tip of my whip break allowing the wire to come off (since that's where the wire was attached) and drag behind my buggy (not the first time I've had this happen either)....despite the abuse of being drug behind my car for at least a mile the wire still works great. This is the 5th season on my EL wire whip and it's still going strong. Running it at 4khz it is starting to loose some brightness now...but it's still brighter than the cheapies you see out there running at 1.5-2khz....just not as bright as it was 5 seasons ago when I made it.

Voice

Post by Voice » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:35 pm

Well, let me describe how these are built...

They are using a very flexible fiberglas whip that seems less prone to breaking than most...
Then they wrap the El wire around the whip and cover the whole thing with a thick plastic cover making the thing heavy.. but again, less prone to snapping.
It uses a standard (non-lighted) whip mount and the converter/inverter can be unplugged and hung just about anywhere...

I examined the thing with the idea of having to replace the fiberglas if it ever broke and sure enough, the electronics are completely self contained and could be rewrapped onto another whip if needed.

If I used white wire and then shrinkwrapped it again that would make two layers of plastic and I don't think that would look too good. So I figured I would get some white speaker wire... small gauge... and wrap it around the pole in between the El wire wraps. Then use some superglue to keep the thing nice and tight.

Then I could put my LED top light in and it might just look cool! :D

And oh, a suggestion to Racewerks... a "whip leash" would be very cool. Something that will keep your whip from being left behind if it ever broke. Like Jason said, that El wire is tough. If the whip broke but was just dragged behind the quad for a while then it could easily be repaired and resued...

But if it broke and was lost in the dunes..... well...

IndyExploder
1st Gear Member

Post by IndyExploder » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:10 pm

I have seen these before. But like said earlier, how will these handle a regular size flag? I have 2 I would like to fly but I need a whip that can handle the flag. I would be using one flag per whip
'92 Explorer: 351, C6, McNeil Pre Runner, McNeil 3-Link, 33" ATs, Fiberwerx Fenders and Dash, Autometer Guages

Voice

Post by Voice » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:31 pm

I've got a standard, square ATV flag and it drags the whip down pretty good.
If I could change one thing it would be the whip stiffness.

Voice

Post by Voice » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:57 pm

Well, I'm back from a week long trip with my "Wired Whip" and I must say that I was unimpressed.

Right off the bat I had a problem with the connection between the electrical wire and the EL wire. Every time the whip was flexed, like when I started riding, the light would go out. It turns out there is a problem in the connection.
I cut the shrink wrap from around this connection allowing the whip to flex without bending the connection and this worked for a while. I would occasionally have to wiggle the connection to make it work.

Then, later on in the week the controller finally gave out.

The whip is very visible in the dunes and I really like the look, but I'm afraid this whip just didn't hold up to the dunes.

Barley101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Barley101 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:09 am

Hey Voice.. was this the "stock" wired whip.. or one that you doctored up yourself that didn't work propertly.. I've been thinking about getting one?

Thanks,
"Life is a Garden..
Dig it!"
- the immortal words of Joe Dirt

CrstyDmn
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by CrstyDmn » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:12 am

I can hear DEVO in the background....
"Whip it!...Whip it good..."
"When a problem comes along....you must Whip it..."

:lol: :lol:
'03 CHEVY 2500HD 6.0L CREWCAB 4X4 w/RCD 6" Lift on Bilsteins w/35" BFG's
'00 HONDA TRX400EX
'78 HONDA ATC70

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:36 am

S_ANDerson72 wrote:I can hear DEVO in the background....
"Whip it!...Whip it good..."
"When a problem comes along....you must Whip it..."

:lol: :lol:
Gee Thanks... going to be hear that song in my head all day. :lol:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Voice

Post by Voice » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:49 pm

It was stock. No modifications.

And I want to be very fair here. Racewerks has been very stand up so far. It's a new product and they seem very interested in how it performs. (which is why I posted)
I don't want to sound like a bash.

Barley101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Barley101 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:27 pm

That sucks... have you heard of anyone else having similar problems? I was seriously looking at getting myself one for X-mas... to make myself look cool on New Years :lol:
"Life is a Garden..
Dig it!"

Voice

Post by Voice » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:47 pm

I was hoping to see some responses from other whip owners myself... I'll try a thread at Glamisdunes.com

Barley101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Barley101 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:31 pm

I'm sooooo glad I never bought one! I saw these on display @ the Sand Show in Phx early December.. and they did not look at all like I thought they would/should. Not bright.. kinda pastel for lack of a better word... cheaper looking too..

Any thoughts on ArizonaWhips versions?
"Life is a Garden..
Dig it!"

Voice

Post by Voice » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:52 pm

Update:
I stopped by Wired Whips to exchange my bad whip and had no problems whatsoever. Mike was extremely friendly and he took the time to show me the whole operation. (made me a great deal on a new mount too!)

He tells me that there are some new things in the works, including a shorter buggy whip (thicker fiberglas than the quad whip) that would work great on a quad, though I'd recomend a spring to prevent breaking it in a roll-over.

As for brightness, I'd have to disagree. My whip was visible for a very long distance. It is plenty bright.

Voice

Post by Voice » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Well, my new (replacement) whip didn't last 5 minutes. Aparantly the solder at the wire to EL wire connection is just not up to snuf...

I'll be taking it apart and repairing it myself this time.. :(

Barley101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Barley101 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:49 pm

You're definatly not selling me on the quality of the wired whip Voice... I think I'll steer clear for now!
"Life is a Garden..
Dig it!"

Voice

Post by Voice » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 pm

I did eventually repair this myself...
It turns out that the solder between the electrical wire and the EL wire was broken.
I resoldered it myself, taped it up and it now works great.

So, the result is:
The owner is very stand up, good guy who listened to my concerns and took measures to see that I was satisfied.
in the end, though, I was unable to get a working whip. Maybe I had bad luck. I have heard reports of people who have had no problems whatsoever.
I'm extremely happy with the look of the whip.
The owner has future plans for more variety.

Give it a try... but be wary.

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”