Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

North Rim

Post by RichB » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:33 pm

Anyone been camping over on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? I want to venture over that area later this summer and am looking for some suggestions on where to go, places to camp etc.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
ASA Member

RichB

Post by RichB » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Nobody's been over to the North Rim huh....hmmm guess I'll have to be the guinnea pig on this one then.
ASA Member

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:32 pm

I suppose You got the New GAS Tow Vehicle??
If You did, I appreciate someone else going with GAS, I take all kinds of Krap for NOT going DIESEL. I only use it to tow several times a year and to go to Home Depot to haul some home improvement stuff, so Diesel did not make sense.
Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread BUT,
I have only driven several of the roads along the north Rim, never stayed there so I can't help much.
Good Luck
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 am

I didn't reply Rich becuse I've never been there. Hmmm. Driven by the road to it when we were traveling between St. George/Coral Pinks, but that's the closest I've come to it. Sorry. Wasn't ignoring you. :D
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:02 am

North Rim is beautiful!

No crowds, and lots of space.

We drove to it for the day on way to Lake Powell.

The Vermilion Cliffs were awesome on the way, and it is just one big post card drive.

We did not spend the night, but we might have??!

It has been a few years ago, and I have killed those brain cells.

Steve

RichB

Post by RichB » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks guys. It's not that big of a deal, my boss has been over there camping right on the rim so I'll pick his brain some. My thing was he hadn't been over there in a while and he's not "one of us" so sometimes you get a very different opinion than most of us would report back on.

Bob - Sorry, but I ended up with another diesel :shock: What finally tipped me back to the diesel side ironically enough were the guys on the V10 forum on the FTE site. What it boiled down to was once they realized how much (frequency) I tow, and the elevations I tow at (Utah trips in the summer) they were almost unanimous agreement that 4:30 gears were necessary. All I could find was trucks with 4:10s, and really never did find a 6-speed gasser (I didn't want anymore automatic trans nightmares) so I opted for another diesel.

C-ya,

Rich
ASA Member

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:29 am

NO NEED to be SORRY.
I am glad You did NOT get a Ford V-10, I work on about 30 of them from 2002 thru 2005, I am not real impressed by them.
We are happy with the Chebby 6.0 gasser, probably would be happier with the 8.1 gasser, but I knew I had to use it for an everyday driver for the first year, so fuel mileage was a issue. Now She sits in the backyard hoping I need to haul some lumber from Home Depot, or cooler weather.
Good luck on the trip to the North Rim, wish I could say more about it, but I only have driven the roads and not camped up there.
I will be up Your way next Tues, Taking the wife to Mandalay Bay for a few days for Her B-Day.
See Ya soon
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

RichB

Post by RichB » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:51 pm

In case anyone cares, here's a couple of things I can report about camping over at the N. Rim:

The CG is nice, clean restrooms scattered throughout, showers are pay and are a trek from the CG spots (didn't use them), very quiet CG, but no hookups. Most of the spots are pull-throughs but can be tight with trailers like ours. My WW tag along is 30' nose-to-tail, if you have a trailer larger than that you may want to think it over. It was very tight in places and I had to be very carefull and a little skillful just getting in and out of the dump station. Generators can only be run from 7-9a.m. and 6-8 p.m., glad we had the Trojan 6v batteries, didn't have to go w/out power at all. Oh yeah, I've never seen so many Class C Moho's in my life (90% of them were rentals).

Lots of ranger led activities all day long and into the night as well. Tons of stuff to keep mom, dad, and the kids occupied the entire time. The staff there are 1st class, very friendly folks. Of course the scenery is awesome and the place is empty compared to the S. Rim. Temps were in the low 70s during the day and down in the upper 40s at night (our heater never kicked on though). There's a very nice general store at the entrance to the CG and the main lodge is about a mile away. We did lunch at the lodge restaurant one day, it was priced like you'd expect but the food was nasty, don't recommend it.

Fuel: There's a gas station at the park but NO DIESEL. About 40 miles to the north (Jacob's Lake), there's a gas station but again NO DIESEL. Supposedly, there's diesel available at a small store in between the main gate and Jacob's lake but they didn't have any fuel prices up on their sign and even if they did I doubt I'd trust it was good fuel (it'd be low volume for sure). Since we came in from the North I can say that you can get fresh diesel in Fredonia, AZ (@ the cutoff) or in Kanab, UT.

Woods riding. I stopped at the Kaibab Forest ranger station and asked about off-roading nearby. The ranger I talked to actually rode and said the forest roads are pretty much wide open for use (unless otherwise posted). The forest is awesome around that area, big Ponderosa Pine and nice Blue Spruce, I plan on going back and doing some woods riding at some point, just need to figure out what AZ needs so we don't get arrested (heard they are real strict).

Rich
ASA Member

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:55 pm

Kewl report Rich...

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:17 pm

UHHH,
Which CG ?? or did I miss that one??
I would like to head up there (maybe next year), and keep going up to Moab area.

Dizzle won't be a problem here :lol:
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

RichB

Post by RichB » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:39 am

Mr Big Wrench wrote:UHHH,
Which CG ?? or did I miss that one??
Bob,

There's only 1 CG in the park itself, and it has a real creative name....North Rim :D

Outside the park (in the Nat'l Forest) there's a CG called Demotte that is closed all this season for upgrade/maint, then there's a commercial CG and another Nat'l Forest CG in Jacob Lake. IMO those are too far away if you're going there for the primary reason of hanging out at the Canyon.
ASA Member

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:22 am

Thanks for the info Rich

The info I have isn't very detailed

I want to get up there soon, It's been a loooong time since We camped in the area, and then it was in a tent!!
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”