Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Is there Dune Buggy Driver Class?

Post by sbheg » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:42 pm

I have thought about getting some training on how to ride the dunes. I am a novice driver and would like to increase my skill level without slowing down my friends while I get better.

Is there driver training available at Glamis or Gordons that some company or organization promotes?

TIA
sbheg

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:31 pm

The DuneBuggy.com crew is building a dual steering wheel sand car to do demo and tour rides. You may want to check with them. Doug Dixon (King Glamis) can get you info.

Other than that...

Practice
Practice
Practice
:wink: 8)
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

steveh
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by steveh » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:45 am

The DuneBuggy.com crew is building a dual steering wheel sand car to do demo and tour rides
i think what they really need is a dual brake car :lol:

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:48 pm

LoBuck wrote:The DuneBuggy.com crew is building a dual steering wheel sand car to do demo and tour rides. You may want to check with them. Doug Dixon (King Glamis) can get you info.

Other than that...

Practice
Practice
Practice
:wink: 8)
I was thinking more I follow the instructor in my car showing how to maneuver different situations.

Yes I intend to practice twice a month during the season. :-)
sbheg

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Re: Is there Dune Buggy Driver Class?

Post by OBSESSED » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:52 pm

sbheg wrote:I have thought about getting some training on how to ride the dunes. I am a novice driver and would like to increase my skill level ...
sbheg
Harold,

Everyone dunes different but the same. Some faster, some slower.

Some can only dune one speed. Some can only dune one way.

Some go on all out Off Road rides with their sand rails never turning just going straight over stuff.

Others turn and maneuvering up and over every dune that gets in the way.

I always enjoy seeing how others dune. I have followed many through the big bowls at Glamis-without them knowing!

I wait at a tall dune in the big hills behind and south of Osborne Overlook. When I see a group duning in a fun style, I head for them and fall in behind! I see how they transverse and go from dune to dune.

Maybe you could try that technique.

Or else meet us and follow us on a ride.

Seriously, the dunes heal all issues.

I'd love you to dune with us. I'm not sure you'd learn anything, but it'd be fun!

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

Poiks

Re: Is there Dune Buggy Driver Class?

Post by Poiks » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:54 pm

sbheg wrote:I have thought about getting some training on how to ride the dunes. I am a novice driver and would like to increase my skill level without slowing down my friends while I get better.
heg,
Have you duned at all before? I mean dirt bikes or quads? Although the duning style is completely different between bikes, quads, and buggies, the knowledge you get learning to read the dunes translates well from one ride to the next.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 pm

Even if you don't like him I have to admit that following Steve for a few runs is a GREAT way to learn. He's a very good leader espically when he knows there are newbies behind him....though with his new car he does sometimes forget that not everyone has upgraded to long travel ;) But he's still much easier to follow than most long travels I've tried to keep up with. He won't "go easy" on you and he won't sugar coat his evaluation of your driving (he's got a rearview mirror and isn't afriad to use it!) but after my first time following him I've been looking forward for more chances.

And when I was stuck with an almost dead battery, bad alternator and no lights - Steve led the way for me with his lights and made sure I made it back to camp in one piece without having to take any super nasty surprises in my path.

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:53 pm

We have a seriously fast group. For some of our guys, it was a little intimidating to keep up at first; but after some fast seat time they start to get the hang of it. Most of them say that mainly focusing on the car in front of them, and that car's whip; and imitating that car's movements; they gain more confidence each ride.

Some of these guys who once complained that I was driving way too fast, (including my Wife) now complain when duning with another group that they are going way too slow! :shock:

Our group is compromised almost entirely of Funcos. These cars handle absolutely incredible, and are capable of much more than most drivers ever realize. Once you learn their ability and agility, duning at speed starts feeling natural and instinctive. 8)

No matter what you are driving, in my opinion; the best way to increase your skill level is to pick a person to follow who you think is a good driver and spend alot of time chasing him or her, and don't be afraid to raise the bar a little each ride. before you know it, it'll be instinctive! Good Luck!! :D
Larry Linkins
O3' Funco Gen 3.5 W/90 HP Subaru

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!
The hand you save may be yours!!

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:38 am

TEMPORARY INSANITY wrote: Most of them say that mainly focusing on the car in front of them, and that car's whip; and imitating that car's movements; they gain more confidence each ride.

No matter what you are driving, in my opinion; the best way to increase your skill level is to pick a person to follow who you think is a good driver and spend alot of time chasing him or her, and don't be afraid to raise the bar a little each ride. before you know it, it'll be instinctive! Good Luck!! :D
Harold, Larry has some really good advise here. The only thing I would add about "focusing on the car in front" is that this is good for beginners, moderate drivers, or even very good drivers who don't care to lead.

To lead or run in the first couple spots, you have to learn to not to just drive the dune you're on, you must drive 1 or 2 dunes ahead. You need to always have an alternate path figured in your mind in case the path you want to take doesn't work. This is how you get into a "flow". And don't forget about those guys behind you watching your car or whip. They are counting on YOUR choices being good ones!

The only way you can do this is to be able to really read the dunes, and that comes with the practice of actually doing it. Focus on where you're going as much as where the guy in front of you is going.

With the Jeep, the suspension dictates how fast I dune. If I'm duning with a group of buggies, I usually run towards the back, and half the time I make my own line.

One more fun thing about following the vehicle in front of you. When I rode 3-wheelers and rode the middle or back, I could get so totally insync with the riders in front of me on long fast rides, that when we would stop I would have absolutely no idea where we were. :? :lol: That's would be when they'd say, OK your turn to lead. ..OK.. :wink: 8)

What I'm saying is that its fun to lead or follow, but if you're going to want to lead, you need to read... and that takes practice.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:07 pm

I'll hook up with any of you willing to put up with me :-).

I've been playing in the dunes for about 10 years, but driving my own setup started 1 year ago last May.

Got my self a Baja bug, set it up with 3x3's, fox shocks all around, bus tranny and a 2276 and started putting around. It was fun until I’d get stuck. I then decide shortly after to build my own rail it is a mid travel, dual sport, 2 seat chenowth frame, fox coilover’s all round with 13” of travel, razorbacks, paddles and cutting brakes, yada, yada.

I got it out after Easter last year and have been debugging the car since.

I think it is now ready for the season, I lost my 2276 on one of my test rides :-( and replaced it with my reliable 1600 for the next weekend, I flipped that weekend following my friends, fixed the dented roof and broken whip, got a 2054 for it and had an ok time presidents day weekend.

I am looking to have fun this year with minimal incidents.

Thanks for the advice,

sbheg

Poiks

Post by Poiks » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:10 pm

heg,
We're getting together with out group next week to plan the season's trips. I'll let you know when we're going and hopefully we can hook up. We have one buggy, one Pilot, and a bunch of quads.

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by ggorman » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:42 pm

Grab a copy of the Safe Duning Brochure too. It has some tips about looking for 'witches eyes' and stuff like that.

The best way to learn is hook up with an 'expert' (I'll leave you to define that...) :) That's what I did and it really was helpful.

Greg
ASA Volunteer and Supporter
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Rick Bowen
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Rick Bowen » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:14 pm

You may want to review this thread:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... php?t=9859
Milkvetch.... It's not just for breakfast anymore.

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:17 pm

I can attest that my ability to dune was influenced by my father, and those others who were better riders than I was. As I followed them, I learned what to watch out for, what speed was appropriate for the given situation, and to find that "perfect line." I have duned with many, both those who post here, and those who do not. I will welcome anyone who wishes to dune, and enjoy the sand for what it is. I just hope I get a chance to get out this season 8) (and not get snowed under at work).
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:45 am

I hold a PHD degree in sand duning from the University of Hard Knocks.

(Pretty Hard Duner)

(Phatt Hairy Duner)

(Phast Hassed Duner) Ebonics

(Phenomenal Humble Duner)

(Paranoid Hallucinating Duner)

(Perpetually Hard Duner)
[/b]
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:14 pm

I always PHD meant Piled Higher & Deeper, as in Dumont sand being PHD than Glamis sand. :P
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:46 pm

Rick Bowen wrote:You may want to review this thread:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... php?t=9859
I read it, it was short and funny, but had no information that was useful.

thanks
sbheg

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:48 pm

ggorman wrote:Grab a copy of the Safe Duning Brochure too. It has some tips about looking for 'witches eyes' and stuff like that.

The best way to learn is hook up with an 'expert' (I'll leave you to define that...) :) That's what I did and it really was helpful.

Greg
I have landed in some of those, not a lot of fun :-), I have not learned how to spot them very well, but I will.

sbheg

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”