Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Why do they ride thru my camp??

Post by DuneRookie » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:01 pm

And I'm sure it's not just my camp. But the last 2 trips out to Buttercup we had people cutting thru within litterally 3 to 5 feet of our camp with us standing there. It just boggles my mind. Granted it is usually younger riders; but where are the parents..Once it was even grownups with a trail of about 8 riders....I just dont understand the entire lack of courtesy....So when we yell at them for being stupid we get that deer in headlights look...Now I know why people rope off there camps (within reason) and personally I do not blame them....I just wish people could be a little more courteous. To me this is a serious safety concern.....

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by quad1100 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:40 pm

Well roping off camp does not work half the time either. Last time out we had a couple of kids show up one night and start riding on a little track we made for our kids while we were sitting around the fire. And I tell you we had the place roped off pretty good.

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:21 am

I will admit to, once in a while, ending up in someone else's camp by mistake. I think that happens to everyone.

BUT, I am not driving fast, and I get out by the shortest route possible. Though no one has ever said anything, an apology would be in order for an honest mistake.

HOWEVER, the flip side....YEAH..I have seen strings of riders go right through the middle of what is OBVIOUSLY someone else's (like MINE) camp.

Is that what I look like when I am lost? :shock: :shock:
I sure the heck hope not.
L&L
It is not ours to decide the times in which we live.
It is only ours to decide what to do with the time given us.

Make the most of your time.

Jelmore
1st Gear Member

Post by Jelmore » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:57 am

We have had people come flying through our camp, right through the flags we use to rope everything off. And, it is not like you cannot see the flags. The are attached to our cones, and most of the time we light Tiki Tourches and put them in the center of the cone. We actually had one guy who went through our flags get off of his bike take off his helmet and say "Did I just go through your flags? I thought this was my camp..."
People are idiots...
***Jenn***

Ride safe, or be Sorry!

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:28 pm

Way back in the late Eighties, The time when three wheelers roamed the earth, I borrowed a friends BTW something or other. Basically it was a motorcycle with balloon tires. I think Yamaha made it and they were called "Big Wheels". Since I was an old two wheeler rider I was confident I could still ride on two wheels. We headed out to a worm turn course right next to somebody’s camp. If you ever rode three wheelers you remember you lean the opposite way as a two wheeler to turn. Three wheelers turn better if you lean to the outside of a turn and unload the inside wheel and then tuck into the inside down low. Now back to the story. Here I was running this worm course trying to get the hang of this Big Wheel thing. One of my buddies gets a little close behind me and I decide to leave him in my dust. I go way deep into the next turn and, out of habit, lean to the outside. This little maneuver causes the two wheeler to go straight through the turn and not squaring off the turn as I had intended. I did clear the berm turn in fine style ( If I do say so myself) and landed smack dap in the middle of somebody’s camp. I then did a flying W, can can and something my kids called a superman before I regained control of this thing. This was years before motorcycle trick jumping was popular, and I believe I invented a few of the moves you see today, trying not to crash that day. I did turn back around ( big turn) and apologized for running through their fire and camp site. A little courtesy when accidents happen can go a long way to smooth things out.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

azsandrider
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by azsandrider » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:51 am

If I accidently enter a persons camp, I slow way down, wave if anyone is there, and make a safe U-turn and leave the same way I came in, to show that I'm not taking a "short cut" through their camp.

The problem is in certain camping areas, especially on major holidays, is that people close off access points to the dunes and basically create a maze through the campers. I have seen people that had no access to the dunes from their camp after others camped around them and parked vehicles in the road next to the camps as they did want anyone riding by.

I think, if this continues, the BLM will need to create "no parking" lanes down the ceter of the packed in camping areas, especially Buttercup, to alleviate the problems.
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

SandCarFan
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by SandCarFan » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:37 pm

Heck, I drove my truck and trailer into a camp at Gordon's. It was about 9:30 PM, we were searching for the group we were to camp with and we accidentally drove into a camp that happened to be shaped more like a horse shoe than a circle ... had to have been over 15 rigs. It was T'day weekend so the various camps were a bit closer than usual, even for Dunebuggy Flats

An honest mistake on my part :? Bad thing was the "circle" was so dang big, I had no trouble at all turning all 56 feet of my truck and trailer around and exiting the way I came in ... :roll: ... must have been a 150 yards across the opening.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:24 pm

azsandrider wrote: I think, if this continues, the BLM will need to create "no parking" lanes down the ceter of the packed in camping areas, especially Buttercup, to alleviate the problems.
They've already started. I think it was two years ago they put up the signs forcing people to leave a path at Buttercup from the end of the cul-de-sac to the sand highway.

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:46 pm

jhitesma wrote: They've already started. I think it was two years ago they put up the signs forcing people to leave a path at Buttercup from the end of the cul-de-sac to the sand highway.
If people use a little common sense and courtesy, there would be no need for the BLM to "force" people to park reasonably. If the BLM didn't have those signs up, there would be no way to get on the sand from the cul-de-sac on major weekends.

But some people only care about themselves and if they get their camping spot, who cares if the people behind then can get to the dunes, AND, we don't want them driving past us to get there either.

Of course, if everyone drove slowly past others camps, then others would not close off the access. No one likes to be "dusted", yet they will "dust" others.
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

fairlydangerous1
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by fairlydangerous1 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:46 pm

Let's not get off track of the original message. Dumb ****'s riding through our camps putting our families in danger. Yea, 2 trips ago a guy ran over my dog. He missed my wife by inches. I was in such shock, I actually didn't squash him. He had the same "deer in the headlight" look mentioned earlier. This trip, someone will not be so lucky. No respect for others is becoming a way of life for some people.

lisa simrak
1st Gear Member

Post by lisa simrak » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:27 pm

I think it is very easy to lose track andend up in someones camp. When it happens to us its allmost allways because these camp hogs block off a huge area. when you have to make a turn which way do you go?If you guess wrong you are now in there area.Maybe you camp hogs should but a rope completely around your camp to keep us humans out

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”