Home

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Home

Post by MT Buggies » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:23 am

Hey guys, if you didnt know, I have been in Korea since July of 2001, so I have been trying to keep up with everything from here while trying to subdue my sand fix....~! Iam home in 15 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Y E O W!

Its time to play, and to play hard! We'll be planning a trip to SL early August, both buggies are ready and hopefully we'll see you there!!!!

Work hard, Play Harder...

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Dunepilot » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:41 am

Make sure you have a spark arrestor...I hear the DNR is checking with a silencer probe.

Might also want to look into the sound levels, as they are being monitored as well.

Welcome back!

DunePilot(Eric)
BBS Moderator
ASA Volunteer & Supporter

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies » Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:08 am

Thanx Eric, as far as I know all buggies with a spark arrestor were making the 94 db level at SL, that was Memorial Weekend though.. I guess we'll see! Thanx again!

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:34 pm

I rode Silver Lake June 26-29 (Wed.-Sat.). On those days the rangers pretty much only checked for spark arrestors. They would insert a plastic tube in the end cap. Some would just see that you had stock exhaust and let you go through unchecked. I only saw one truck and one buggy sound tested. They really didn't care - they let some really loud bikes enter.

Overall I had a great time but one thing really pissed me off. Saturday night I fried the top-end on my 250. I was way at the north end of the dunes, opposite of the parking lot. My brother tried towing me with his 400 but quickly got stuck. A ranger was on the other side of the hill so my brother asked if he would give us a tow. "No," was the answer, "too much liability." Can you believe that! It is a five minute tow back to the parking lot, over mainly level terrain. Boy was I furious. Sure sounds like serving the public . . . NOT! Basically all the rangers are out there for is to harass people and bother them about minor infractions.

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies » Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:46 pm

That sounds like some *********t... From my personal experience most of those guys out there have a chip on there shoulder, I dont know why, but it happens at the lake too.... Just my 2 cents. Sorry about your 250, that sucks!

Smiley
1st Gear Member

Post by Smiley » Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:46 pm

Actually he could not give you a tow without the posibility of losing his job. Hundreds of vehicles break down up there every year, you are not the first. The DNR has stayed away from towing since they were sued years ago. That is not their job, the safety of everyone is what they are doing out there.

I have gone up to Silver Lake for over 20 years now and have driven every type of vehicle on the dunes. I have camped at the State Park there for years. I have never felt the rangers had a bad attitude nor that they where unhelpful. Some are kinda grumpy at times, but then you don't know what kind of week they have had dealing with drunks or fatal accidents either. Approach them and talk to them and you should see real nice people there.

The thing to have done is asked other people for help. I always tow people with problem vehicles because I break so often that I hope my kindness gets repaid :)

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey » Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:24 pm

Smiley, I can understand that the ranger would not give me a tow because he could lose his job. But that is the whole problem. The rangers are supposed to help the public. That is their job. If they can't give a guy a five minute tow, something is seriously wrong. I know the majority of us duners would have no problems towing a broken-down vehicle; I wouldn't care at all.

Do you know the details on the lawsuit that resulted in the rangers' not being allowed to tow broken-down vehicles?

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Dunepilot » Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:34 pm

While I do not know the details of the lawsuit, nor am I going to speculate on such, I can say the Rangers are there to provide assistance to the public, however it is not as broad as you appear to be implying. While I agree, it would be a wonderful public service if they could/would tow people out of the dunes. The problem lies with their requirement to promptly respond to calls.

Granted, the Ranger could have been more diplomatic in his response to your brother, but sometimes people only hear what they want to hear...

Lets say there is a serious issue which requires immediate attention, BUT, they can't cruise over to answer the call while towing someone. Nor would it be practical to stop the truck, get out, unhook the tow line/rope/cable/strap, then politely explain to the driver of the broken vehicle, why the Ranger can no longer tow him/her because of a more pressing matter.

Can you see the amount of time it would take to accomplish all that. Now imagine, a serious accident where seconds count, in fact, put yourself in that position as the accident victim or the individuals' family or friends, you would want help to arrive faster than ASAP, wouldn't you? I think you would especially if it was your life that was hanging in the balance.

But if the Ranger is towing someone in, or helping someone find a lost CV joint or whatever...he/she isn't going to be able to promptly respond to such an emergency.

Hopefully, you'll understand what I'm driving at with all that... Also, just so you know, I was in your position while at Silver Lake. I had broken down out on the Parade Route by the beach which, as you know is a bit far to walk to the parking lot. There also happened to be a Ranger, who wasn't any further than 10' from where I had stopped and didn't appear to be doing anything but sitting there. He could have easily started up that lifted Dodge pickup of his, thrown out the tow rope and towed me back in, but he didn't. Why didn't he? Yes...I asked, because of the reasons I wrote above, but he did say, he would if he could but he isn't allowed to.

Fortunately for me, almost everyone I've met at Silver Lake were great people and within minutes of asking the Ranger for help, many of those same people were stopping and asking if I needed help; and I got my tow.

Bottom line, the Rangers primary function at SL is law enforcement.

I hope you don't take this as ragging on you, but rather I'm just trying to enlighten you that the Ranger wasn't trying to be mean or disrepectful. I'm sure if he could have helped you, he would have.

DunePilot(Eric)
BBS Moderator
ASA Volunteer & Supporter

Smiley
1st Gear Member

Post by Smiley » Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:17 am

I don't know the details of the lawsuit and the DNR ranger that mentioned it did not supply any details. He retired in about 1998 but we had talked a few times and he mentioned it in passing during a conversation.

But the exact details don't matter, the effect is that they cannot give tows without risking their jobs. That is clear, no sense arguing with the ranger as he did not make the rules to limit his functions.

But also think of this - the State gets a contract every year with local tow firms for SL. I'm sure the tow company getting the contract could sue the State for towing and depriving them of their rightful business.

I agree with Dunepilot, they are really there to enforce laws, expecially the safety laws. With such limited personnel at SL they have little time to help with every vehicle problem. I wonder if you have ever witnessed the chaos surrounding a bad accident on the dunes. The rangers are normally one of the first people on the scene and they try to keep things under control till medical help arrives. I think they do a great job.

Ask yourself when the last time you saw other public servants towing a stranded motorist. Police officer? Fireman? Road worker? Nope, I've never seen it. They have to let others so that as they are not allowed. It is not part of their job function and opens the gov. to lawsuits.

The bottom line, if you get injured look for a ranger. If you have vehicle problems look for fellow duners for help. Look for a gray Bronco with blue flames - I'll tow ya :)

Return to “Silver Lake Dunes”