ISDRA Photo takes grand prize in Palm Springs

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

ISDRA Photo takes grand prize in Palm Springs

Post by Woodglue » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 pm

This bit of 'news' has been out there for a couple weeks now. But I thought that this was a nice article. A little more about the dunes and a litttle less about the photographer.
He was in the ISDRA over Thanksgiving, expecting to take some pics of nice dune formations and was willing to have a few tracks in the sand. What he found amazed him! And, his award winning image attempts to showcase the ISDRA at Thanksgiving.
Creating art in the desert and at the Dog, Langley photographer takes grand prize in Palm Springs
By Patricia Duff - South Whidbey Record

Published: March 27, 2010 2:00 PM
1.jpg

Rich Frishman's 'Imperial Sand Dunes' won the grand prize at the “Earth Through A Lens” international photographic competition in Palm Springs, Calif.
Rich Frishman photo
Send him to the desert or downtown with his camera and everything just clicks.

International photographer and local resident Rich Frishman has been awarded the grand prize in an international photographic competition and exhibition sponsored by the city of Palm Springs.

The “Earth Through A Lens” exhibition will feature “Imperial Sand Dunes,” a mammoth 2-by-8-foot giclée print by Frishman. The grand-prize image depicts hundreds of dune buggies racing across the scenic desert sand in southeastern California.

“I stumbled on the Thanksgiving Day week of events at the Imperial Sand Dunes, which

I learned is a preeminent destination for sand toy aficionados,” Frishman said.

“I went there knowing it is a beautiful spot when the dune buggies are not around, and I expected to see some rolling dunes and maybe some tracks. I didn’t expect to see hundreds of thousands of people in RVs towing AVs of some kind,” he added.

The surprise of so many people in so many dune buggies (also called off-highway vehicles, or OHVs) didn’t deter Frishman from shooting.

The sweeping panorama is actually composed of more than 200 separate images shot during a two-day period.

The winning print will hang in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency in Palm Springs and at other galleries April 1 through April 30.

Only 30 images were selected for exhibition. Three of them, the limit an artist could submit, are by Frishman.

In addition to the grand-prize winner, his panoramic images “Bombay Beach” and “Garbage Dump; Essex, California” will be exhibited in galleries along Palm Canyon Drive, the heart of Palm Springs’ art and business district.

The Imperial Sand Dunes, which are situated in the Southeast corner of California in the Mojave Desert, are the largest mass of sand dunes in the state. Formed by windblown sands of ancient Lake Cahuilla, the rolling hills of the dunes extend for more than 40 miles in a band that is about five miles wide. Frishman said it’s one of the last places left where OHV enthusiasts can run roughshod over the land.

“Watching these big sandrails — which are basically dune buggies on steroids — I realized any one moment would give me an inadequate representation of what I was photographing,” Frishman said.

“I wanted to photograph what it feels like out there, with the sounds and people flying from all directions. In 1/1,000 of a second I can see no more than a dozen vehicles in my view. I wanted to capture the hundreds that were all around me.”

To tackle that dilemma, Frishman said he shot the background first and then started shooting individual congregations of activity or vehicles.

When he got back home, he spent more than a month on the computer sorting out thousands of shots, tiling the selected photos together and masking the frames so they blended properly.

“I put each vehicle where it actually had been. But they weren’t all there at the same time.”

Another example of Frishman’s photomosaic collage work is “The Dog House,” which hangs at the Brackenwood Gallery in Langley.

“The Dog House” is a 4-by-6-foot photomosaic composed of 217 separate prints shot over 18 months. Though the processes of the two pieces are similar, with the Dog House montage, Frishman took a slightly different approach.

In the sand-dunes photo, he wanted to show the scene in an articulated fashion, but the Dog House photo is purposefully disjointed.

Frishman shot the Langley tavern at different times during the day to show changes in light and activity. At the sand dunes he shot only between the hours of 1 and 4 p.m. when the light remained the same and before the shadows became noticeably longer.

“With the Dog House I wanted a more impressionistic result. The disarticulated method of it is part of the entertainment value of the piece,” Frishman said.

He spent about a month on that piece, too, only this time he was hovering over a board on which he mounted the photos to create a single piece of art. Whereas his presence in the dunes piece is barely noticeable, the Dog House montage is very personal and obviously manipulated.

Frishman said both pieces represent a process he began in college when he used contact sheets to line up photographs in sequence. The British artist David Hockney was an early influence.

The two other pieces that were accepted into the show are similar to the stitched-together style of the dunes photo, but the elements of time and activity do not play into those, Frishman said.

The “Earth Through A Lens” exhibition is to honor the 40th anniversary of Earth Day on April 22. Frishman and his work will be recognized at an awards ceremony at the Hyatt Palm Springs that evening, and he said he is appreciative of the honor.

“It’s hard to know if something is resonating with anyone but yourself,” he said.

“Getting this positive feedback is very rewarding for me.”

The Langleyite’s photography regularly appears on the covers of Life, Time, Sports Illustrated and numerous other national magazines.

Frishman has garnered dozens of prestigious national awards over the past 30 years, and was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in 1983. He was selected as one of 125 of the world’s leading photojournalists to participate in the latest “Day in the Life” photo book by HarperCollins. His art is published extensively worldwide.

To view an online gallery of his desert landscapes, click here.

To see the gamut of Frishman’s work, click here.

+More Arts & Entertainment Headlines
<Back to Mobile Edition
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ISDRA Photo takes grand prize in Palm Springs

Post by gelwell » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Cool collage'
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

sticksand
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by sticksand » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:41 pm

WoW Jason could you do something like this???
BRRRRAAAAAP!!

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 am

That would look very cool hanging in my new place! Wonder if he will be selling copies?
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

MattV

Post by MattV » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:49 am

Here's a link to his website.

http://www.frishphoto.com/index.html
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Nice pic - sure makes the place look more heavily used than it is though.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

MattV

Post by MattV » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Yes, it does, but he also provided a pretty detailed explanation of how he did the image.

Vincent J Brunasso

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:36 pm

MattV wrote:Yes, it does, but he also provided a pretty detailed explanation of how he did the image.
Yes, he did - let's hope it always goes with the pic...
Vincent J. Brunasso

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

MattV

Post by MattV » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 am

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:
MattV wrote:Yes, it does, but he also provided a pretty detailed explanation of how he did the image.
That would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it. Looking at it, though I can tell without being told.

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:49 am

Pretty cool pic. I'm wondering if he pitched a tent and camp in that spot for two days so he didn't have to move his camera?
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:00 am

BHenry wrote:That would look very cool hanging in my new place! Wonder if he will be selling copies?
I was thinking the same thing....I have one of Jason's panoramics that was done in 3 phases, I think he said, and I have one of Bill Luskleet's night open lens elapsed time photos, and this would make a nice addition....

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:16 pm

sticksand wrote:WoW Jason could you do something like this???
I could. But don't really have any interest in doing it that way. It's too manipulated and unrealistic for my tastes.

A few of my panoramics have the same kind of effect where vehicles moved between frames so they show up in more than one place. I could have gone in on them and removed those duplicate vehicles - but I don't for the same reason that I don't go through hundreds of shots to put vehicles back in. I like to document what's there and capture things as they happen. I really have no interest in trying to push photography to the point of showing things that aren't there.

At the same time I do enjoy doing things that cause a photo to give a feeling of something that may not be fully represented - exposure tricks that give a mood that may not have been there for instance.

It's a fine line but to me a shot like this just doesn't reflect reality as I see it. And my goal with my photos is to reflect reality as I perceive it. But to each their own!

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Frishman said it’s one of the last places left where OHV enthusiasts can run roughshod over the land.
I do not think Frisman was intending to show OHVs in a positive way. I think the purpose of the collage is to show how destructive he thinks we are.

But, I like it despite his agenda.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:
Vincent J Brunasso wrote:Nice pic - sure makes the place look more heavily used than it is though.
It didn't stay with the pic, but the pic wasn't shown either.
From Coachella Valley Green.com:
1.jpg
1.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
In Palm Springs, the “Earth Through A Lens” Award Ceremony was also held on Earth Day. This photography contest was visual attempt to enhance public education about sustainability. Thirty finalists were selected and on exhibit throughout the city of Palm Springs for the entire month of April. On April 22nd, the Awards Ceremony held at the Hyatt Hotel in Palm Springs awarded first prize to Rich Frishman for his photograph representing human activity and its impact on the Imperial Sand Dunes. The top three prizewinners received cash and their photos will appear in a coming issue of Palm Springs Life.
:roll:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

sticksand
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by sticksand » Sat May 01, 2010 11:41 am

Booo Hisssssss Cheater!!
BRRRRAAAAAP!!

frishphoto
1st Gear Member

Post by frishphoto » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:36 am

As the photographer who shot this panorama, I'd like to thank you guys for noticing it and discussing it...
and I'd like to clear up a few things. I have always explained how this picture was made in clear detail, that it shows many days of off-roading and that the vehicles were not there simultaneously. I have never made the "roughshod" comment attributed to me in this thread. I do not conceive of riding in that manner. I admit that I'm not an ATVer, but I love photographing this activity. As a professional photojournalist and landscape photographer, I always respect my photographic subjects, whether it's ATV'ers or doctors, bricklayers... or even politicians!!! The only agenda I had in making this panorama was to convey my sense of those beautiful days: the sound, the sun, the sweeping dunes, and the excitement that burst all around me. You guys live that on your ORV's, and I can only imagine how much fun it is.
So thanks for noticing the panorama in the first place.

Rich Frishman
http://www.frishphoto.com

Vincent J Brunasso

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 pm

frishphoto wrote:As the photographer who shot this panorama, I'd like to thank you guys for noticing it and discussing it...
... I have never made the "roughshod" comment attributed to me in this thread. ...You guys live that on your ORV's, and I can only imagine how much fun it is.
So thanks for noticing the panorama in the first place.

Rich Frishman
http://www.frishphoto.com
I can understand. I've been interviewed by the press several times in the past. Seldom did they quote me 100% accurately or convey the exact message I was trying to get across. Same thing for others I know. If the writer has an agenda or a pre-conceived notion, (s)he'll make sure his/her point of view gets inserted.

Like Mark Twain said, "If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Wide Open Sand”