My New Dash....

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

azpyroguy
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster
Please enter the middle number: 5

My New Dash....

Post by azpyroguy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:51 pm

Here are a couple of pics of my new dash in my Sand Car...

Lowrance 4800M GPS
Kenwood TM-271 Radio (not being used until I get my ham license)
Hour Meter
New Pro Comp Tach
SoftComm Panel Mount Intercom.

Scott Swenka, ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

550hp Tatum Evolution Long Travel
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 40' 5th Wheel
2006 Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:12 pm

Looks Great!

Now all you need is:
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml?State=AZ

:D

Better hurry...ISS has been active and that radio is plenty to talk to them ;)

porboy
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by porboy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:25 pm

The 271 is a great radio. We use it in our race car and love it.

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:32 pm

LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

Now can you tell me where wash 10 is scott? :lol:

Feel free to smack my hand if I attempt to play with all the gizmos.

azpyroguy

Post by azpyroguy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:31 am

norocksplease wrote:LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

Now can you tell me where wash 10 is scott? :lol:

Feel free to smack my hand if I attempt to play with all the gizmos.
Har Har.... its not my fault the old GPS decided to mismark my position... and lead me to wash 8 to then wash 7, and back to wash 9...

First it would say your 2 miles away, then 330 feet way, then 1.5 miles away, then 3 miles away... then 50 feet away.. and then back to 2.25 miles away...

I think it had something to do with the fact when I marked the position I was inside the motorhome, and it had not found all sattellites... :?

The lowrance is really cool... no book needed...(for the most part..) it has a bunch of pop-up help menus that that tell what each menu item does...
Scott Swenka, ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:19 pm

Wow that is bad ***. Now you need to put an alarm on it with a proximity sensor to keep the riffraff away.

azpyroguy

Post by azpyroguy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:04 pm

quad1100 wrote:Wow that is bad ***. Now you need to put an alarm on it with a proximity sensor to keep the riffraff away.
Just picked one up.. it will starter kill, siren, shock,flash lights, 2 remotes.. my cost on it was like $39.00 (own small electronics dealership).. I have the prox sensor here that I can add on here from a old alarm.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:43 pm

I'm actually going to have to make a new dash for my Manx soon. Need to fit in a boost guage and never liked the position of the key or fuel guage on the current panel. Plus I want to add a tank switch so I don't have to manually connect the wire for my second tank anymore. I'm also adding seat heaters (this is a street car mainly remember!) and need to fit in the switches for them. And moving the key to a different position will make it possible to re-install the wiper motor and have working wipers without them hitting the back of the keyswitch and guages.

And now I'm thinking about incorporating my Icom V8000 after seeing how your radio looks in there. I assume yours is run though the intercom though since the mic cord ducks back inside (Too bad the TM-271 dosn't have a packet connector you could use instead on the back :( )

Since my Manx is street legal I don't run headsets most of the time and will be using the normal speaker. Nice thing about the 271 and the Icom V8000 are those LOUD front firing speakers. An install like that wouldn't work with most radios since the speaker is on top.

Jason your sure yours isn't a TK-7160 the commercial version? The 271 in the amateur model and isn't FCC legal to operate on race frequencies even if it's been modified to be capable of it.

I'm also thinking about incorporating a MegaView (http://www.bgsoflex.com/mv/megaview.html) to go with my MegaSquirt to keep an eye on the engine.

The big question is...do I want to keep the classic metal turned look or should I go for a more modern clean look. frontpanelexpress.com did the end plates for my MegaSquirt and they came out great....could make for a nice clean dash. I could even have the YumaDuners logo engraved into it. May look slick. Here's the job they did for my MegaSquirt:

Then again I could probably get Jim to water cut what I need (and I probably have enough spare aluminum to do it.) then use a friends lathe to do the engine turned look. Lots of pattern ideas here (http://www.fpmmetals.com/automotive.php). But then my switches and warning lights would be unlabled (like they are now.) And I'm kind of tired of people asking me what the switches do when they get in. Hmmm.....

Guess I need to get the motor running first...then I can worry about the new dash ;)

azpyroguy

Post by azpyroguy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:27 am

jhitesma wrote: And now I'm thinking about incorporating my Icom V8000 after seeing how your radio looks in there. I assume yours is run though the intercom though since the mic cord ducks back inside (Too bad the TM-271 dosn't have a packet connector you could use instead on the back :( )

Jason your sure yours isn't a TK-7160 the commercial version? The 271 in the amateur model and isn't FCC legal to operate on race frequencies even if it's been modified to be capable of it.

The big question is...do I want to keep the classic metal turned look or should I go for a more modern clean look. frontpanelexpress.com did the end plates for my MegaSquirt and they came out great....could make for a nice clean dash. I could even have the YumaDuners logo engraved into it. May look slick. Here's the job they did for my MegaSquirt:

Yep.. I just used a RJ45 network cable to duck back in behind... I wanted to get a radio that had the packet connector on it... but no one had the unit I wanted at a decent price... I got this one for $179.00, and the Yeasu Commercial Radio was well over $400... and the PCI Race Radio was over $500.00 (which is only a $50-60 radio!)

Its a stock radio right now.. which I why I need to get my ham license to operate it... I just wanted to get it mounted/installed so that I would not have to tear the dash apart to add it later.

Cool looking panel.. I might have to contact them for my switch panel, as right now I am just using a silver tape loaded brother label maker.... which works.. but looks kinda tacky...

Return to “Wide Open Sand”