Gas gouging?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Gas gouging?

Post by Sloppyduner » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:57 pm

2.05 a gallon is what I’m kinda remembering as what the price was this time last year. BP Just released their QUARTERLY profits. Their profit was at 29%. 29% of 2.05 is $.5945 So that would mean the cost of gas for them to make that profit would have to be at or above $2.64 a Gal.. Well I would say we’ve been paying much more for gas lately, But I THOUGHT we were paying this because of Hurricanes, Refinery problems, The going rate of a barrel, or somebody sneezing in the wrong direction. All the “EXCUSES” they made over the Summer, were they REALLY the cause of the higher gas prices? What is the going reasonable percentage a company SHOULD make? Exxon and Shell’s profits, that are expected to be released later in the week, are expected to be higher, but I always skipped those stations because it was cheaper at BP/Arco, or an independent, So I could see why the other two bigger companies would make more.

My question is basically Do they deserve this high of profit? And did they misinform us of the reasons for the price increase. Because to me IF they were really damaged by these hurricanes, the rising cost per barrel, and “change over in mixtures” Shouldn’t their PROFITS be a LITTLE less? Or is this “normal” profit amount for any given business in any given industry? Are we being taken advantage of? That was a stupid question. :? Is it a fair supply and demand situation? Looking at the total profit percentage alone? For example the GBS has duners kinda stuck and we all know their prices are high BUT do they mark up their stuff 29%? :x Someone TRIED to rip me off this much over the Summer and I told them they could go F themselfs I KNEW I was getting screwed, and I found I could get the same thing cheaper,and with more reliability. Now I just have to come up with a way of being able to tell the oil companies the same. :x But I'm NOT going to do it by giving up going to the dunes.
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0705/246653.html
Tuesday July 26, 2005 11:04am
LONDON (AP) - BP Group PLC, one of the world's largest oil companies, said second-quarter profit rose 29 percent on the strength of world oil prices, but said it was taking a $700 million (580 million euros) charge to settle claims from a refinery explosion.Net profit came to $5.66 billion for the three months ended June 30, up from $4.38 billion in the second quarter of 2004. Revenue jumped to $88 billion from $71.1 billion.

The company also raised its capital expenditure guidance for 2006 partly due to higher costs and warned its retail margins have been hurt so far in the third quarter by higher refined product prices.

BP is the first major oil company to report its second-quarter results, before Royal Dutch Shell PLC and Exxon Mobil Corp., both expected to post strong earnings Thursday because of oil prices that remain near record highs.

BP Chief Executive John Browne said that North Sea Brent crude averaged $51.63 a barrel in the quarter, around $4 per barrel higher than in the first quarter.

"The financial highlights have, of course, been magnified by the external environment," he said. "But they couldn't have been delivered without the investments and improvements which have been made over the past decade."

The company had one-time items of $826 million, including the $700 million figure for settling claims arising from the Texas City, Texas, refinery explosion on March 23 that killed 15 workers.

Browne said the $700 million figure included $127 million for the settlement of claims related to the deaths and serious injuries and a provision of $573 million for estimated future costs.

BP said its replacement cost profit for the quarter, considered a key indicator by analysts, was $5.81 billion (4.84 billion euros), up from $4.07 billion (3.39 billion euros) for the same period last year. The measure is the amount it would cost to replace assets at current prices.

The company's exploration and production division was the main beneficiary of the rising oil price as profit for the quarter rose 38 percent from a year earlier to $5.9 billion.

Browne said that oil prices are likely to average around $40 a barrel over the next few years.

"We continue to say that oil prices in the medium term will be pretty strong," he said. "Whether they stay at this level remains to be seen because of the lack of production capacity and the lag, the time it takes to get that production ready for the market."

Browne warned it was not certain that the second six months would be as profitable as the first half of 2005.

"The outlook for retail margins remains uncertain with continuing crude and product price volatility," he said. "Rising product prices have dampened margins over the past few weeks and have contributed to a weak start to the third quarter."

In its refining operations, the company said its "average refining global indicator margin improved by nearly $2.50 per barrel versus the first quarter to reach $8.42." But it added that while "refining margins remain very firm in all regions (in the third quarter)," they have fallen below second-quarter levels.

BP shares fell 1.7 percent to 631.5 pence ($10.97; 9.14 euros) in afternoon trading on the London Stock Exchange.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Rekd » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Here's another.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp. posted a quarterly profit of $9.9 billion Thursday, the largest in U.S. corporate history, as it raked in a bonanza from soaring oil and gas prices.

Record profits for Big Oil at a time when consumers are paying sky-high prices for gasoline have brought calls for a windfall profits tax or other penalties on oil companies.

The companies have been enjoying an unusually rosy environment for months. In the third quarter, oil prices and refining margins rose sharply after hurricanes Katrina and Rita ripped through the Gulf of Mexico, disrupting energy operations in the region.

While Exxon's quarterly profit was up 75 percent from a year earlier, and revenue rose 32 percent to more than $100 billion, the results fell short of Wall Street forecasts due to production outages caused by the hurricanes and sharply lower profit at the company's chemicals division.

Profitting off a national tragedy.
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:53 pm

one part of me says...
Well... business is a game, and sometimes there is an opportunity for a business to win.

Meanwhile, I'm distgusted that they've been soaking in so much money, while we watch cash go down the drain, our sport slowly depleating, truck industry being pulled around just as it got some leverage, and many businesses that involve petroleum and diesel consumption slowly fading away...

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:38 pm

Here is a website that will give you average fuel prices compared to a year ago.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp

RichB

Post by RichB » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:34 pm

My problem with it is it's not free enterprise, the oil business is nothing but a big cartel. Just look at diesel prices, 35-40 cents a gallon more than gas for a commodity that is a bi-product of refining gas and for the most part is a standardized base rather than 45 different blends of gas....it's crazy and wrong.
ASA Member

azpyroguy
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster

Re: Gas gouging?

Post by azpyroguy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:06 pm

Did anyone read the article/interview done with a Exxon representitive.... I will try and find the link for it... but basically when asked about the prices of fuel it was said that "they can charge whatever they want... its free enterprise".

I believe this article was in the AZ Republic, and USA Today, but not positive...

Sloppyduner wrote:2.05 a gallon is what I’m kinda remembering as what the price was this time last year. BP Just released their QUARTERLY profits. Their profit was at 29%. 29% of 2.05 is $.5945 So that would mean the cost of gas for them to make that profit would have to be at or above $2.64 a Gal.. Well I would say we’ve been paying much more for gas lately, But I THOUGHT we were paying this because of Hurricanes, Refinery problems, The going rate of a barrel, or somebody sneezing in the wrong direction. All the “EXCUSES” they made over the Summer, were they REALLY the cause of the higher gas prices? What is the going reasonable percentage a company SHOULD make? Exxon and Shell’s profits, that are expected to be released later in the week, are expected to be higher, but I always skipped those stations because it was cheaper at BP/Arco, or an independent, So I could see why the other two bigger companies would make more.

My question is basically Do they deserve this high of profit? And did they misinform us of the reasons for the price increase. Because to me IF they were really damaged by these hurricanes, the rising cost per barrel, and “change over in mixtures” Shouldn’t their PROFITS be a LITTLE less? Or is this “normal” profit amount for any given business in any given industry? Are we being taken advantage of? That was a stupid question. :? Is it a fair supply and demand situation? Looking at the total profit percentage alone? For example the GBS has duners kinda stuck and we all know their prices are high BUT do they mark up their stuff 29%? :x Someone TRIED to rip me off this much over the Summer and I told them they could go F themselfs I KNEW I was getting screwed, and I found I could get the same thing cheaper,and with more reliability. Now I just have to come up with a way of being able to tell the oil companies the same. :x But I'm NOT going to do it by giving up going to the dunes.
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0705/246653.html
Tuesday July 26, 2005 11:04am
LONDON (AP) - BP Group PLC, one of the world's largest oil companies, said second-quarter profit rose 29 percent on the strength of world oil prices, but said it was taking a $700 million (580 million euros) charge to settle claims from a refinery explosion.Net profit came to $5.66 billion for the three months ended June 30, up from $4.38 billion in the second quarter of 2004. Revenue jumped to $88 billion from $71.1 billion.

The company also raised its capital expenditure guidance for 2006 partly due to higher costs and warned its retail margins have been hurt so far in the third quarter by higher refined product prices.

BP is the first major oil company to report its second-quarter results, before Royal Dutch Shell PLC and Exxon Mobil Corp., both expected to post strong earnings Thursday because of oil prices that remain near record highs.

BP Chief Executive John Browne said that North Sea Brent crude averaged $51.63 a barrel in the quarter, around $4 per barrel higher than in the first quarter.

"The financial highlights have, of course, been magnified by the external environment," he said. "But they couldn't have been delivered without the investments and improvements which have been made over the past decade."

The company had one-time items of $826 million, including the $700 million figure for settling claims arising from the Texas City, Texas, refinery explosion on March 23 that killed 15 workers.

Browne said the $700 million figure included $127 million for the settlement of claims related to the deaths and serious injuries and a provision of $573 million for estimated future costs.

BP said its replacement cost profit for the quarter, considered a key indicator by analysts, was $5.81 billion (4.84 billion euros), up from $4.07 billion (3.39 billion euros) for the same period last year. The measure is the amount it would cost to replace assets at current prices.

The company's exploration and production division was the main beneficiary of the rising oil price as profit for the quarter rose 38 percent from a year earlier to $5.9 billion.

Browne said that oil prices are likely to average around $40 a barrel over the next few years.

"We continue to say that oil prices in the medium term will be pretty strong," he said. "Whether they stay at this level remains to be seen because of the lack of production capacity and the lag, the time it takes to get that production ready for the market."

Browne warned it was not certain that the second six months would be as profitable as the first half of 2005.

"The outlook for retail margins remains uncertain with continuing crude and product price volatility," he said. "Rising product prices have dampened margins over the past few weeks and have contributed to a weak start to the third quarter."

In its refining operations, the company said its "average refining global indicator margin improved by nearly $2.50 per barrel versus the first quarter to reach $8.42." But it added that while "refining margins remain very firm in all regions (in the third quarter)," they have fallen below second-quarter levels.

BP shares fell 1.7 percent to 631.5 pence ($10.97; 9.14 euros) in afternoon trading on the London Stock Exchange.
Scott Swenka, ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

550hp Tatum Evolution Long Travel
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 40' 5th Wheel
2006 Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:31 pm

Anybody notice gas prices dropped about 10 cents the same week they came out with their reports? Hmmmmm :?

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

azpyroguy

Post by azpyroguy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:17 pm

Yeah.. I kinda noticed that coincendence... I think they are trying to patronize us...
Sloppyduner wrote:Anybody notice gas prices dropped about 10 cents the same week they came out with their reports? Hmmmmm :?
Scott Swenka, ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

550hp Tatum Evolution Long Travel
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 40' 5th Wheel
2006 Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS

Return to “Wide Open Sand”