Possible site downtime

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Possible site downtime

Post by jhitesma » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:00 pm

Just a heads up.

Hurricane Rita is headed for the datacenter of the hosting company that the ASA server is located at.

I was notified this morning that if they're told to evacuate they will be taking all the hardware with them to higher ground. That means there would be downtime for the site while they looked for a temporary location and got their connectivity restored. It also means things may be slower if connectivity is affected.

If it comes to that I suspect our plans to find alternative hosting will be pushed into super high gear and we'll just have them ship the server over here and finally make a decision about which hosting option to go with.

The owner of the company has assured me that they've weathered many a hurricane successfully. All the same this is a big one and they want to play it safe so if they're told to get out they won't be leaving the hardware behind either.

Unfortunatly as any frequent visitor to this site will know the UPS on our server is not in good shape and power outages will mean downtime for us.

I did a backup of our database last night just as routine maintance but Greg and I are both going to be working on making off-site backups quickly in case the worst happens.

If the server is unplugged we may have to have the ASA domains temporarially redirected to one of my other servers but would be unable to put up a fully copy of the site - we would however be able to post updates about when the full site will return.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the storm changes course.

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:14 pm

if desperate space is needed, I may not be able to get you a new connection for the server, however I can get a new server and connection(great price too) setup most likely within 24 hours. So then we can atleast move the information to a new spot.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:49 pm

Well, just when it was looking like we were safe things went bad. The hosting company is actually located in Beaumont and Rita hit them HARD.

We're back up obviously. But there are still some issues that may result in more donwtime.

Beaumont currently has no electricity and their power company is saying it will be at least a month before they have it back. So the datacenter is running on generator power.

We're also in the progress of physically relocating the server. EoNet who are currently hosting the server have been VERY generous and helpfull over the years and we are extremely gratefull for the service they have provided to the ASA completely free of charge. However we've decided it will be in the ASA's best interest to change to a hosting company with a larger datacenter and more technicians on staff so they can respond to issues quicker when something goes wrong.

Within the next week or two we will be physically re-locating the server. Currently we are working on taking steps to assure no loss of service while that happens. Several ASA members have graciously offered us additional hosting capacity and other technical assistance which we will be taking advantage of to setup a temporary server while our main server is relocated.

We may have to temporarially disable the BBS a few times during that transition to assure no posts are lost while data transfers from one server to another. In addition the site itself may go down for a few hours here and there but we will work to prevent that from happening.

Also as the datacenter is running on generator power right now and our server does not currently have a UPS installed there's a good chance of a power outage which would cause us to go down for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours depening on whether I or one of the other admins is available to reboot the system after it comes back up.

So please bear with us for the next week or so and sorry about the extended downtime. Please try to remember that despite loosing their houses and much more the staff at EoNet has been working tirelessly in a disaster area to help bring us back on-line as soon as possible. It's worth noting that they actually were able to recover so quickly that the bigger problem was the phone company not recovering as quickly leaving them with no upstream connectivity to the backbones!

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by ggorman » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 pm

Thanks for your patience everyone. We've been in a bit of a panic just trying to find out the status of the server. We thank EoNet for their foresight and their selfless work to safeguard our very expensvie asset. They don't even have their server running yet, at least as of my post time.

Jason and I will be working over the next few weeks to try and get a more reliable setup accomplished. One hosting center we have looked at is here in Phx so that we can 'lay hands' on the box if we have to. In most cases we just remotely administer it so it's not necessary, but every now and then it's nice to be able to press the big red button on the front.

Keep the gang at EONet in your thoughts and prayers, they are working their tails off even when their own homes are destroyed.

Greg
ASA Volunteer and Supporter
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by quad1100 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:25 pm

Yeah, it kind of brings you back to reality thinking of those poor folks down south that lost everything. Sure we watch the TV and see all the devastation then we go to the computer and try to get onto the ASA website and curse Rita for taking that away from us. But to lose your entire life's belongings is just beyond imagination, god bless those people.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:59 am

Nice to have the site up this morning. Many people aren't that lucky and face a long and hard battle of getting their lives back together; some never will. It's hard to put that in perspective from afar, but the inconvenience of this site being down and the possibility it will have more down time, at least serves as a reminder of those whose existence now may seem very bleak.

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by ggorman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:09 pm

Sorry gang, we were out most of Sunday. Looks like they had some Internet connectivity issues and a power hit because our server rebooted.

Back now though. Zip ties and duct tape.

Greg
ASA Volunteer and Supporter
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Return to “Wide Open Sand”