Sand Hills Gets The (Good) Management It Deserves

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Sand Hills Gets The (Good) Management It Deserves

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:18 am

I just got back from 2 glorious weeks at St. A's (my favorite dunes), and was pleasantly suprised at the changes at Sand Hills Resort. This was the 4th year in a row that we stayed there. Gone are the hideous ex owners/managers Gene and Shirley :evil: (alias Camp Nazis, Grass Nazis, Gestapo, Friggin' Idiots, and other assorted nice titles), and now in their place are Fred and Katie 8) , the exact opposite of Gene and Shirley. The resort is the same beautiful place it has always been, but the atmosphere is completely different because now you don't have to fear the wrath of the half insane previous owners, who would throw you out of their park for the most ridiculous of reasons, and without a first warning.

Yes , the rules (which make Sand Hills the nice place that it is) are the same, which are necessary to maintain the Resort, are still in place, but the enforcement of those rules are now metted out in a civil manner. Fred and Katie are busy improving things around the park and inside the office, making a nice place even better. It is great to be able to walk into the office and be greeted with a friendly smile and someone who will take the time to chat and laugh with you in a small town atmosphere like the Rexburg area is known for. Katie even stopped by our campfire one evening and hung out with us for a while.

So if you are staying away from Sand Hills because of issues and confrontations from Gene and Shirley, fear not!! it's now a better place. :D
Last edited by TEMPORARY INSANITY on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Larry Linkins
O3' Funco Gen 3.5 W/90 HP Subaru

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!
The hand you save may be yours!!

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:25 pm

Kewl Larry,
St. A's (my favorite dunes),
good you made it back....

A neighbor of my brother gave my phone number to a fellow duner last week before he went to SA. I had to explain Sand Hills and Oasis. He had heard all the rumors, and stories.

I guess we are vet's of SA... We've been there EVERY year since 1998!

He chose to move his stay to SH's.
I've never had a run in with Gene, but, close, bberrryberry close... 8) :lol: :? :shock:

Looking forward to my next stay at St Anthony...

Steve

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:30 pm

Oh yea....

Did the weather get better?

This year was the weirdess ever...

I have been there over Memorial Day and never put a jacket on. Shorts and sunscreen....

Not this year....

If the big "H"
on the weather map is over Nevada, then the weather will be fine and hot...

If a Northern low is moving through, look out!

s

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:22 pm

Sorry Steve, but after you left, we had some SERIOUSLY awesome weather, it rained on Sunday the 12th which packed the freshly wind smoothed dunes and Rod & I had the best ride of our lives, i'm not kidding, IT WAS A 10!!! The only thing that I regret on that ride was that I forgot to throw an extra 5 gallon jug of fuel in the back seat to feed my gas sucking Subie, and had to head back to camp sooner than I wanted to. What a great trip, no problems with anything whatsoever, no crashes, and we covered almost 600 miles on the GPS! :D

BTW, while I was there, I saw some crazy guy :twisted: in a Stainless Steel rail going backwards down the face of Devil,s Dune at about 50 or 60 mph TWICE!! I think you might know him??? :lol: :lol:
Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

SandCarFan
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by SandCarFan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:43 am

BTW, while I was there, I saw some crazy guy :twisted: in a Stainless Steel rail going backwards down the face of Devil,s Dune at about 50 or 60 mph TWICE!! I think you might know him??? :lol: :lol:
Strange seeing the roost coming off the front tires, eh? I shoulda snapped a photo :lol:

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:16 pm

OBSESSED wrote: I've never had a run in with Gene, but, close, bberrryberry close... 8) :lol: :? :shock:

Steve
yeah RIGHT... :wink:

BTW,,, do you still have that wig??? :D
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:26 pm

SandCarFan wrote:
Strange seeing the roost coming off the front tires, eh? I shoulda snapped a photo :lol:
I got 2 good picts of Steve going backwards down Devil's, and the wet sand tracks show perfectly what he is doing, the only problem is that I don't know how to upload then into my posts on this board, I've seen others post picts on GOL but I need someone to give me a clue. :?:
Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:51 am

Larry,
pics need to be online somewhere. You can create a photo album here in the gallery, using the user galleries. Create a sub Album, upload your pics, then copy and paste the URL into your post using the Img button located on the reply page.

If you need more help, drop me a pm or e-mail, and I can help you get them up.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:49 am

Like this picture...

That was Steve and my daughter Justine going backwards in Idaho. I believe that was taken at Trash Can hill?
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:14 pm

Thanks Bryan, now I get it!

Here's that backwoods... er.. I mean backwards guy

Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:09 pm

Geeze man candid tricken camera!

:lol:

What lens is that?

and how many pixies?

I am in the market for a fair digital...

s

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:50 pm

OBSESSED wrote:

Geeze man candid tricken camera!

:lol:

What lens is that?

and how many pixies?

I am in the market for a fair digital...

s
Steve, it's a Kodak Easyshare CX 7340 4.0 megapixel.
There only $199 at Fry's Electronics. This camera takes some astoundingly clear pictures ( way better than the ones in this post). Check out the pix in my "One Serious Funco Group" album in the photo galleries, the clear ones were taken with this camera, and the "fuzzy" ones were scanned prints from my old film camera.
Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:20 pm

I just made our June reservations at Sand Hills Resort today, Katie said that the weather hit a nice warm 30 degrees this afternoon. The 2nd week in June can have highs that range from the high 40s to the low 70s, I hope we get the latter. :D
Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:44 pm

Larry said

There only $199 at Fry's Electronics. This camera takes some astoundingly clear pictures ( way better than the ones in this post). Check out the pix in my "One Serious Funco Group" album in the photo galleries, the clear ones were taken with this camera, and the "fuzzy" ones were scanned prints from my old film camera.

We bought a Kodak Easy share P850...
It is so easy to use, I can not beleive I waited so long to get one...

Cathy says I CAN'T take it on dune rides though...

How can I convince her?

Do you get sand in your camera?

s
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:41 am

OBSESSED wrote:Larry said

We bought a Kodak Easy share P850...
It is so easy to use, I can not beleive I waited so long to get one...

Cathy says I CAN'T take it on dune rides though...

How can I convince her?

Do you get sand in your camera?

s
Tell Cathy that Larry said..."Why have a camera if you can't take duning pictures???"

We put the camera in a Ziplock freezer bag, then wrap it in a towel and put it in one of the console compartments where it dosen't move around, and have never had any issues with sand or vibration. It's always handy to have a camera with you WHEN someone in your group crashes!

Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:38 pm

TEMPORARY INSANITY wrote: It's always handy to have a camera with you WHEN someone in your group crashes!
YUP... :lol:

Still have that lava rock in your front yard Steve??? I still have the stain on my back seat from your extra oil sump you ripped off the motor... :shock:

DON'T CUT CORNERS TOO CLOSE AT ST. ANTHONY'S... :D

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:16 am

Still have that lava rock in your front yard Steve??? I still have the stain on my back seat from your extra oil sump you ripped off the motor...
Yes, sitting pretty, and again sorry for the stains...
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:38 pm

No worry on the stain, brings back the great times we had there. Can't say the same for the other side of the seat, when someone couldn't hold it... :wink:
Last edited by SANDUNERS on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:28 pm

SANDUNERS wrote:
TEMPORARY INSANITY wrote: It's always handy to have a camera with you WHEN someone in your group crashes!
YUP... :lol:

Still have that lava rock in your front yard Steve??? I still have the stain on my back seat from your extra oil sump you ripped off the motor... :shock:

DON'T CUT CORNERS TOO CLOSE AT ST. ANTHONY'S... :D
Steve, I hope when this happened, you did the environmentally responsible thing and called for a HAZ-MAT team to come in and de-tox that mess! :lol:

You do know that a spill like that will eventually cause a ripple effect to the whole eco-system of the world (according to your buddies over at the Sierra Club). :x :roll:
Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Attn: Sand Hills and Deset Oasis vets.

Now that the Management isn't an issue, is having more shade and grass outweigh the inconvience of being further from the big dunes?

I have not stayed at Sand Hills, what other benefits over Desert Oasis?

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:45 pm

Kevlar wrote:Attn: Sand Hills and Deset Oasis vets.

Now that the Management isn't an issue, is having more shade and grass outweigh the inconvience of being further from the big dunes?

I have not stayed at Sand Hills, what other benefits over Desert Oasis?
Not a potato patch? :lol:

I just made my 2006 reservations at Sand Hills. When I go its a VACATION and I want the best I can get... :P No Gene & Shirley is a bonus... :wink:

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:17 am

Betting it's cold at St. Anthony's :shock: it's currently about 15 degrees around Boise, and I know it's a lot colder there. Let's see, the weatherman says it's -7 there right now and will get up to about 16 degrees today; sun will come out though and weather reported to be generally pleasant. Wind blowing N E at 6 mph. That doesn't sound too severe. I wonder how the guys are doing in Idaho Falls.

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:38 pm

Hey Roger...
Doin good. The weather here has been cold....single digits at night, teens during the day, but it really is a different cold. I remember nights in Cali that were 50 degrees that seemed a lot colder than a 20 degree day here. Maybe it's the lack of humidity here. I had the oportinity to go skiing at Grand Targhee last weekend. It's in Alta, Wyoming, 'bout an hour and ten minutes from Rigby. From the top of the Tetons, you can see the dunes..Incredible..Can't wait till Spring! Some of the guys I work with take their 4 wheel drive quads out to the dunes in the snow..Thinkin 'bout joining them, but, I still need to get everything out of my trailer and have them re-jetted. I'm still looking for someone that can put a new main seal on the Autocraft, I have a slight oil leak, and it's bathed up the clutch pretty good. I'm running a Chassis Shop double disk clutch system, and found a guy who can cover that. But no one's even heard of Autocraft. I was hoping to find someone in Salt Lake....Any ideas? I told my Dad you were moving to Eagle. He laughed and said that after a few months of freezing your *****, you'll be back... Hope all is well....

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:59 am

I've been snowed!!!.....mild winters, my arse! get the 4 sale sign out and post it in the front yard....we're in the midst of a blizzard... :?: what's that you say? not a blizzard...just a little snow....put the Toyota in 4 WD, bundle up the kids.....what ya mean, shovel snow? I'm from So Cal, don't you know...this'll sleigh you....did you know Santa Claus is from Idaho ho ho? that's right! hey, the flag on the green across the street is blowing N E....does that mean the wind is coming from the S W :? Where's Henry Fonda when you need him? Golden Pond, ha! Frozen Pond is more like it...I'm watching for Santa to come by, so I can hitch a ride on his sleigh....BTW, I hope Santa brings you what you want....cause I didn't get you anything! :P hey! close the door, you'll set off the fire alarms!....everythings different here in Idaho.... :shock: Is that good or bad? oh, yeah; bad sometimes means neat....I think :wink:
David, you tell that old man of yours that some of us aren't stuck in our old ways.....we've still got some wood left to stoke the fire....ha ha......geez, can you imagine? life's a beach in So Cal 8) but here in Idaho, we're dreamin' of a White Christmas, like the ones we never knew....just don't make it too harsh, Lord.....white is good....none of that crytal colored ice, now! take it easy on us So Cal patties....we can't be satisfying the likes of Danny Lopez, and go scurrying back home?????I'm confused; I am home, and when in CA, I'm also home.....where do I belong? right now, I'm enjoying it here.....but I'm a pragmatist.... :wink:
As far as engine guys around here, not sure; you might check with Jim Behrens at B & B Dyno....you know him, right? he's getting moved out of his shop....maybe you could bribe him to come up for a winter vacation in the interim, before he opens his new place.... :roll: well, maybe some of the engine guys down there, know of someone up here.....We dealt with some people from the area, but you never know where their abilities extend....

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:57 pm

Nice thread hijack guys :x
Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:52 am

TEMPORARY INSANITY wrote:Nice thread hijack guys :x
:oops: sorry Larry; just trying to make conversation; not getting a hell of a lot out of the snowman, and some of the questions the kids ask are tough to answer.
I haven't met the management at Sand Hills, yet. I doubt it'll happen much before summer, though you never know.
BTW, I'm sure you have something with which to get the thread back on topic :)

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:15 pm

I didn't mean to offend anyone.....In the future I'll E-mail direct.... :?

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:45 pm

TEMPORARY INSANITY wrote:Nice thread hijack guys :x
I didn't go back a count 'em up, but a quick glance says about 4 to 5 topic changes (some back and forth)...

..and Larry did a couple of those himself. :lol: :lol:

The common thread in this thread seems to be Idaho. :wink:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 am

Lobuck: The common thread in this thread seems to be Idaho. :wink:
uh huh, and not getting big time action at this point. :lol:
theboofooguy: Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't mean to offend anyone.....In the future I'll E-mail direct.... :?
David, Larry will get over it; he's just jealous because we're closer to his favorite dune place, and having something in common, he may feel we're being exclusive, and in his theater, at that; can you imagine? now tell me David, who uses that expression, all the time? :)
Last edited by FunRunner on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:44 pm

Hijack # 5... :wink:

The R&R Duners Club are going to stay at Sand Hills Resort next August. So far we have 6 spots reserved... 8) I can't wait to do this again... and again,,, and again... :mrgreen:

Only this time with some paint on the frame... :lol:

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:03 pm

The Insane Funco Group will be there from June 15th through the 23rd.
Larry Linkins

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:48 pm

I'm with you Roger..... BTW...I live literally 15 minutes from the dunes. I will be on an acre and a half, (house will be done in May) Should any fellow duners need a place to leave your trailer, or something welded while your here, consider my door open....If we don't help each other, who will? Sand Hills is a great place to stay, driving across the dunes to get to the good stuff kinda sucks though....with that comment, I qualify my being on this thread....

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:15 pm

TEMPORARY INSANITY wrote:The Insane Funco Group will be there from June 15th through the 23rd.
Oh boy! that will be a good time to go. How many buggies do you think there'll be?

David, you didn't answer my q. who was always saying, "can you imagine that?" :lol: 15 min away? geez, you're right there. Is there anyplace you can drive to and just park? from what I've read, it seems
you need to have a reservation at a campground. Is that true?

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:34 pm

Sorry, Yes, my Dad always says that... :lol: And yes, there is a BLM campground with full hook-ups, and next to it is a day use area. It even has a ramp to unload quads from a pickup! The day use area, and the BLM campground are right at the base of the Big Bowl. From Sand Hills it is about a 20 minute ride on the Sand Highway to get to Choke Cherry etc. There is also a day area over by Sand Hills. Some of the locals ride on the other side of the road from Sand Hills. The dunes are small, but none of the "idiots" usually go there.

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 pm

Sorry,...Sand Hills usually fills up fast over the summer. Reservations are a must on weekends, and stays over 4 days. The BLM campground is still relatively new, so alot of people don't even know it's there... :?

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:07 pm

So, what you are saying then, is that since you are only 15 mins from the dunes, you can leave home, park in the day camp area, and just go for the day? that would be awesome.
I know there are a few guys who live within 40 mins of Glamis, and some in Yuma who are very close to the Southern part of the dunes;
but 15 mins away would be really neat, just to go for a few hours. Can you imagine? :wink:

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:16 pm

That's the game plan....I figure after work rides wont be out of the question. I'll go occassionally on the weekends to see the hot rods, and race the rail...But with Disneyland in my backyard, I wont be doing any camping... :wink:

Return to “St. Anthony Dunes”