2006 Season Debrief

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

2006 Season Debrief

Post by RichB » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:55 pm

Made our last trip for 06 this past weekend.

Signage:

A major change that I'm checking for clarification on right now is some new signage posted on the North end of the dunes on the BLM side.

The old fashioned big-bold brown backing/white text sign is gone (with rules to not break on it), and has been replaced by a fancy new sign with a map and VERY small hard to read text. The old sign could be read from inside a vehicle, even at night, not so with the new fancy sign. Although the new signage says BLM on it it appears to me it was a colaborative effort with the Park folks as rules for both areas are on the signs. What is disappointing is so many new folks are there and didn't notice the sign or take the time to go read it.

What's really significant is after taking time to read the new sign, it appears there's at least 1 new rule on the sign that contradicts what we've been told by every type of LEO (BLM, Park Ranger, Sheriff Deputy) over the last 5 years. Apparently there is now OHV Quiet Hours in the BLM dunes (aka Moquitch Wilderness Study Area). 10pm to 930am. I am trying to run this to ground, I'll report back when I get official words.

Useage:

Pulled into the dry lake camp area Thurs night and there was 13+ campers already there :shock: I guess the days of Coral Pink being farily desolate except for Memorial Wknd are LONG GONE. :( Once Friday night came it got fairly packed full of folks i.e. people camped 3' from you. We had a "neighbor" that set up his camp about 8' from us and then proceeded to build a campfire 4' from the backside of our trailer....it really sucks how busy and cramped it is now in the dry lakebed.

Law Enforcement:

After a significant lul over the last year or 2 it appears to be ramping back up some.

Didn't see any BLM Rangers but the State Park Rangers were coming through at least once per day (in the morning). They actually went camp-to-camp in the dry lake campground checking for OHV registrations , whips, and looking for small quads and bikes that a minor would be riding. No OHV registration meant you went directly to the Park office and purchased them or you received a ticket. My camp neighbor got stung for 5 OHV registrations (ouch!) and some whips (good).

Again, when I hear back from the State and BLM on the new quiet hour rule and some other questions I had I will post the responses here.
ASA Member

alyshka
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: 2006 Season Debrief

Post by alyshka » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 pm

RichB wrote: Hours in the BLM dunes (aka Moquitch Wilderness Study Area). 10pm to 930am. I am trying to run this to ground, I'll report back when I get official words.

Did you ever get official words :?:
Robert Hancock
"The task that has fallen to us as Americans is to keep alive the hope and dream of freedom"
Ronald Reagan
alyshka r.i.p. 1987-2004
Alyshka's Photos

RichB

Post by RichB » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:49 pm

No they never did respond and since it was the end of the season I just let it fade away until the spring.
ASA Member

Return to “Coral Pink Dunes”