Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Yuma Hamfest?

Post by nats-fj40 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

So I hear there's one on the 16th or so. I'm supposed to be at the fair grounds that weekend for a horse show so I may have to slip over and check it out. Maybe I can swap for a new radio?
Jon B.
KG6NLC

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:14 pm

http://yumahamexpo.com/

Feb 15th and 16th at the fairgrounds...surprised they're doing two events there the same weekend. Then again the hamfest hasn't been that big the past few years. I'm glad it's back and getting bigger each year...but I wouldn't hold out my hopes for a new rig - there haven't been any big vendors with new gear the past few years. Last year I think it took me just under an hour to buy some raffle tix, checkout the flea market and get a good deal on some connectors and an antenna.

If you're going to check it out let me know, always more fun with some friends.

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:41 pm

Jessie is supposed to be jumping her horse over at the rodeo grounds Saturday morning. With the time difference we have to leave here around 3 AM to have the horse ready to show. Anyway I'd like to slip over and check it out once she's done. Guess it all comes down to how it goes at the horse show and if I've got some time before we have to load him up and get him back to the stables. I'll take the radio and try to give you a shout out. Got a freq. to recommend for there?
Jon B.
KG6NLC

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 am

The 146.840 machine is usually the main checkin for the hamfest, so that ties up all of the DIN machines which are the most reliable down here.

146.740 is usually a good machine in town, but it's in the valley with limited coverage...haven't tried it from my new house yet.

147.120 the calzona machine on Black is usually pretty quiet...

I'll try to keep them all in scan...but since I don't have any antennas up at the new house yet no guarantees I'll hear much. Then again I may hear more than I did at my old location...just don't know yet!

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Well I've got a mag mount on the metal roof of my office and my HT is charged...not much but it's better than nothing. The .840 and .740 both seem to be within reach of my house with this setup ... but I hate the scan on this HT. So I'll mainly be listening to .840 and occasionally switching over to .740 if the .840 gets too busy.

I'm hoping to make it by the fest tomorrow sometime...Amy's slightly curious so we may go in the morning before she heads to work. If not I'll make it out by myself sometime early afternoonish.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:19 pm

So Jon did you make it over to the fest? We saw the horse event on our way in, and I had my radio on most of the day but never heard you so I'm not sure if you never called or if I was was just scanning the wrong repeaters at the wrong time ;)

The fest was bigger this year than last and is starting to flesh out. A few more years and it should be a pretty major event. I did so some good deals on bits and pieces I really could have used...but Amy was with me and I didn't want to bore her while I spent 3 hours digging through connectors :D

Saw quite a few good deals and some bigger vendors this year. Still not much computer stuff but every year keeps getting bigger and better.

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:03 pm

I got tied up with the horse thing. You know, pictures, clean dust off her boots and horse, haul water to her and the horse....etc........... I could hear the announcements over the loudspeakers but just couldn't get over to check things out. By the time she finished her last event we were beat and ready to load up and head to the barn. (no pun intended)
She and the horse did pretty well considering they haven't shown in a year. She/they took second on the 18" and 2' 6" jump courses. anyway, I'll make it over to that thing next time I hope.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”