early present from santa

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

saychz316
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

early present from santa

Post by saychz316 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:31 am

my wife gave me an early present this year. have not really had a chance to play with it yet much. i have been saving jhitesmas link for the dune coordinates, just for this occaision, but it dont seem to be working right now. sure could use another link to glamis coordinates for all the good stuff! :D cant wait to get to glamis in january to try it out. just need to get me a good bar mount, but i may just carry it in my pocket, or hip, for the time being. i found a couple nice aluminum mounts, just have to see if i can find room on my bars for it. :D

this is the link i saved, thats not working. http://www.yumaduners.com/jth_upload/maps/index.html

08 Weekend Warrior CR-3905
06 Ford 4x4 F-3 Fiddy Stroker
07 KTM 525 XC-W
06 Raptor 700R
70 Redneck that pilots all of the above.
74 Ole' Lady
06 Raptor 350
03 Little Girl
07 Honda CRF-50
04 Little Girl
?? Long Travel Rail (Someday)
We are all proud to be ASA Members. Are your kids and spouse members?

quadfather
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by quadfather » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:37 am

garmin makes a plastic bicycle bar mount that works fine on standard diameter atv bars. i've had mine for about 4 years without any problems or breakage. i mounted mine on the left side just inside the clutch perch.
bob

"You can't fix stupid."
R. White

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 pm

That's a good unit. I own that exact model. It does tend to shut off every now and again by itself, and I haven't figured out just what it is that is causing that. Some people have said that this is a problem with this model due to vibration and the batteries losing contact, but I recall it happening when hooked to the power cable as well. Anyway, if you have a 12 volt system on your bike, I woud recommend hooking it up that way so you can leave it and the back light on at night while riding. Otherwise bring a couple sets of batteries. :wink: It's cool to see all the stats from a ride. Top speed, distance travelled, etc. :D

Jerry Seaver
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Jerry Seaver » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Cahuilla Ranger Station (Gecko Road) N 32 58.44 W 115 10.30

Glamis Store N 32 59.76 W 115 04.37

Wash 10 (shortcut to Boardmanville) N 32 58.81 W 115 02.77

Boardmanville (Tavern/general store N 32 59.14 W 115 02.06

Osborne Overlook N 32 59.01 W 115 07.96

Gecko Road Camp sitesPad #1: N 32 57.97 W 115 10.23
Pad #2: N 32 57.24 W 115 09.68
Pad #3: N 32 55.92 W 115 08.18
Pad #4: N 32 55.13 W 115 07.28
Keyhole Campground: N 32 54.83 W 115 06.94
Roadrunner Campground: N 32 54.68 W 115 07.01
Gecko Campground: N 32 56.49 W 115 08.40

The Big Hills:
Competition Hill: N 32 59.04 W 115 07.66
Oldsmobile Hill: N 32 57.77 W 115 05.96
Brawley Slide: N 32 56.65 W 115 04.82
Lizard Hill: N 32 55.57 W 115 04.04
China Wall: N 32 54.48 W 115 02.19
The Wall: N 32 53.25 W 115 01.47 K-12: N 32 58.66 W 115 07.65 Banshee Point: N 32 57.64 W 115 06.34
Honda Point: N 32.56.65 W 115.05.39

South Dunes, Buttercup and Gordons Wells
Patton Valley: N 32 46.83 W 114 56.88
Dune Buggy Flats: N 32 43.10 W 114 56.16
Plank Road Monument: N 32 42.72 W 115 08.14
Midway Well: N 32 42.95 W 114 54.89
Buttercup Comp Hill: N 32 43.82 W 114 52.86

I'm not even sure where I got these but it will give you a start.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:43 pm

crash wrote:That's a good unit. I own that exact model. It does tend to shut off every now and again by itself, and I haven't figured out just what it is that is causing that.
We had the same turning off issue with FRS radios we use for helmet-to-helmet com on our quads. The batteries were losing contact momentarily when the radios were jarred by a bump or jump. I stuffed some cotton from a cotton ball under the spring contacts to make the contacts stiffer and now only rarely have a problem.

I have and love the RAM mount system for my SporTrak GPS. I love the adjustable arm and feel that it provides some shock absorption for the GPS. The plastic cradle is TOUGH - I rolled the quad on hardpack and mashed the thing and it only cracked in one spot and still holds the GPS very securely.

I had mine powered from the quad battery until I killed a battery by forgetting to disconnect the power cable (mine draws some power even if the GPS is not attached). I'd rather use AA NiMHs than make that $60 mistake again.

crash

Post by crash » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:43 pm

RAM products are second to none, but they can be a little pricey.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:01 pm

crash wrote:That's a good unit. I own that exact model. It does tend to shut off every now and again by itself, and I haven't figured out just what it is that is causing that. Some people have said that this is a problem with this model due to vibration and the batteries losing contact, but I recall it happening when hooked to the power cable as well. Anyway, if you have a 12 volt system on your bike, I woud recommend hooking it up that way so you can leave it and the back light on at night while riding. Otherwise bring a couple sets of batteries. :wink: It's cool to see all the stats from a ride. Top speed, distance travelled, etc. :D
I have the same model AND same problem Crash is having. To the point I'm asking Santa for a new GPS. I've always liked this unit b/c it's pretty user friendly but when it shuts off 3 times by itself on rides, what's it really worth? Maybe I'll try the cotton thing!
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:19 pm

If your Batts have a "spring" thing holding them in contact, there is no way to get them to stay on, 100% of the time. Spring = Old School.

My old Magellan had the same issue, and it drove me insane!

My newer Magellan has a two battery snap in pack.

If it is shutting off and it doesn't have a "Spring" keeper, you may have other bigger issues.

GPS’s are like cell phones, how we ever get by with out one before?

I buy throw away Batts, and always check batts before every run…

Total Miles driven, back track dotted line, are always fun to check, however,
My favorite is the MAX speed: It is always slower than you think…

crash

Post by crash » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 pm

I was actually thinking of stuffing another spring on the end that doesn't have one. That way, no matter where the battery moves, it will stay in contact. Make sense? Anyway, the other issues I had were when I experienced some other electronic issues due to solid core ignition wires. Those things caused SO much interference that my ECM would simply turn off. Put in resistor plugs and wires and have had no other electronic problems, so I guess those issues I had with the unit when it was hard wired could be attributed to those ignition issues.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:03 pm

Yeah, sorry about that link...it relies on the yumaduners site which is temporally down because it got hacked. And I just haven't had time to put a new version up.

Even if I don't get the whole site back up soon I may get that page since it's so useful. Plus I've been doing a lot of javascript work lately so I'm kind of wanting to play with it again :D

Oh and I also have the same Garmin Legend. I bought it to go geocaching with while I shopped for a new antenna for my GPSIII+ workhorse. Very nice, friendly little GPS. But I've never tried it in a vehicle since I do have a magmount for my III+ so I still use it in vehicles. The III+ is also easier to hardwire (since I have custom plugs for it.) so I only use the legend as a handheld.

If anyone wants I can easily do a dump of the waypoints from my database - putting together an automated export was next on my list for that page.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:30 pm

OBSESSED wrote:If your Batts have a "spring" thing holding them in contact, there is no way to get them to stay on, 100% of the time. Spring = Old School.

My old Magellan had the same issue, and it drove me insane!

My newer Magellan has a two battery snap in pack.

If it is shutting off and it doesn't have a "Spring" keeper, you may have other bigger issues.

GPS’s are like cell phones, how we ever get by with out one before?

I buy throw away Batts, and always check batts before every run…

Total Miles driven, back track dotted line, are always fun to check, however,
My favorite is the MAX speed: It is always slower than you think…
Yeah, they are spring loaded. Someone said something about using a conductive grease on the terminals as a way to keep the conection live...whadaya know bout dat?
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:12 pm

I have the same model
to the 4th power with me. :mrgreen: and ditto the shut off issue. My display also goes dark with lines through it when the batteries are getting low or just old. I have been really please with it though.

I have taken that Legend many places across the Western US with me when I was a travelin' fool in my old job. From where its really hot (and humid) to where its really cold and in the snow. Always worked well. Funniest thing was holding it up against the window on an airplane. Max speed ~460 MPH. 8)
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

saychz316
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by saychz316 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:17 am

wow, thanks to you all for the help with the dune coordinates, and the input. you guys have been great!

-kevin
08 Weekend Warrior CR-3905
06 Ford 4x4 F-3 Fiddy Stroker
07 KTM 525 XC-W
06 Raptor 700R
70 Redneck that pilots all of the above.
74 Ole' Lady
06 Raptor 350
03 Little Girl
07 Honda CRF-50
04 Little Girl
?? Long Travel Rail (Someday)
We are all proud to be ASA Members. Are your kids and spouse members?

RAPTOR DRIVER
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by RAPTOR DRIVER » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:01 pm

Glamisbound wrote: Yeah, they are spring loaded. Someone said something about using a conductive grease on the terminals as a way to keep the conection live...whadaya know bout dat?
I had those problems on my old Garmin when I first got it. As said in other posts you need to keep the batteries from moving around and loosing contact with the contacts. :lol:

I use a short piece of rubber tubing that fits around the spring contact. It has a large enough ID that it does not interfere with the spring and it is just long enough to keep the batteries tight and to prevent them from sliding back and fourth. The ends of the batteries can still rub against the contacts and each other due to vibration especially on a motorcycle or quad. When this happens the contact points can oxidize to the point that current stops flowing and you will think you have a dead set of batteries. Grease works perfectly to prevent this. Just a light dab on each end of each cell is all you need and it does not need to be conductive. I have used whatever is handy at the time with equal results. Silicone grease, wheel bearing grease, Vaseline or whatever, they all work. It just needs to have enough viscosity to stay on the contacts and not run off.

Dean

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:42 pm

My Magellan has springs also, I just opened it and checked.
The thing is once batts are put into spring holder use of a small wing nut screws the batt pack against the contacts.

Maybe a small conductive material wedged between battery [to in effect make batt longer] would work. If the batts can move while unit is in your hand, they will move off road.

Good luck...

Magellantook my last unit in trade [plus cash] for my present unit, and down loaded all way points into new unit for me. Magellan has or had a office in San Demis that I took my unit to. Service was very helpful, and understanding.
Good luck to all!
S

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”