Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

scanner frequencies

Post by old flatty » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:28 pm

radio frequencies that scanners can pick up at the dunes ?
any LEO frequencies that are known ?
ICSO
BLM
etc
real Jeeps have flatfenders

jmhill5
1st Gear Member

Post by jmhill5 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:49 pm

BLM was using 168.425 with a pl of 146.2 last weekend at Gordons Well and Buttercup. The ICSO is using the San Diego County 800 site which is very hard to monitor but you can listen to it by having a good trunking scanner such as a Bearcat Trunktracker scanner with APCO P25 incorporated in it. You will need to program all the frequencies and talkgroups to monitor them. Go to http://www.californiascanner.com and pick up the southern California frequencie directory for more information. Also http://www.radioreference.com is a good site.

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by old flatty » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:06 pm

thank you
I'll give those sites a try
real Jeeps have flatfenders

jmhill5
1st Gear Member

Post by jmhill5 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Old Flatty; Did you try the frequencies yet?

proglamis
ASA Transportation Vice Chair

Post by proglamis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:25 pm

Jackie bought a Radio Shack scanner for last weekend(Thanksgiving).

I've never felt so stupid about anything "techno" before. I was expecting it to be as easy as my old Fannon scanner, but NO. This thing has got me frustrated beond belief.

How can I listen to what's going on in Glamis? BLM, ICSO, CHP etc... Or, should I take the thing back? It wasn't cheap! Hundreds.

Jason?

jmhill5
1st Gear Member

Post by jmhill5 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:16 am

Proglamis...when I bought my uniden scanners I was completely in the dark as to the programming. I dont have a radio shack scanner but I am assuming they are programmed by a computer. If you sit down and play with the program you will learn how to do it. Trial and error. The frequencies out at the dunes to listen to are Blm and ICSO. They are all listed on the websites I mentioned with Oldflatty. Dont take it back yet, just keep messing with it and once you learn how to program it is a great past time out at the dunes. The best resource I have found is on http://www.arizonascanner.com and http://www.californiascanner.com and but the southwest frequency directory and southern california frequency directory.

proglamis

Post by proglamis » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:49 am

If you sit down and play with the program you will learn how to do it.
What program? I was already out in Glamis when she brought the scanner out there. Do I need a computer to work this thing?

If you don't hear back from me, I went to Glamis for the weekend.

Thanks!!!

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:12 am

I really don't have much experience with scanners. Mainly communications receivers and HF/VHF two way stuff.

But in general trying to program any modern radio from the control panel is a major PITA unless you have tons of patience. Without knowing which model of scanner it is it's hard to give very specific help...but I would look into finding out if it has a way to be hooked to a computer for programming as that will be the easiest.

I'd suggest getting a month or two subscription to http://www.radioreference.com/

With a subscription on their site you can download frequencies right into most scanners. I used it to program the scanner program for my Icom PCR-100 and it was super easy. The software for my radio had a built in interface to radioreference so I just had to tell it my location and it pre-programmed everything of interest from the database for me.

It's when you get into the trunking systems that things get complex. With trunking systems the idea is there are a bunch of different "channels" and one main "control channel". Each time a radio transmits it sends a coded burst on the control channel asking which of the other channels it should use for the actual transmitting/receiving. There's more to it than that but that's the basic idea. BP you probably won't be able to pickup as I'm fairly certain that they use an encrypted trunking system. The details on the SD 800Mhz trunking system are on radioreference so if you get software that can talk to your scanner and supports radio reference it will be real easy.

jmhill5
1st Gear Member

Post by jmhill5 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks Jhitesma...I was just assuming it was programmed by a computer. Almost all the scanners are now. Radioreference.com is a good resource.

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”