Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Helmet two-way radios for quads/cycles

Post by WoodIsGood » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:42 am

One of the first and best things I bought when getting my family - wife, 2 teenage boys, and I - quads was a set of MotoComm helmet headsets. We already had 4 FRS radios so all we needed were the headsets and push-to-talk buttons. It cost about $55 each but has been priceless for our family. They were especially useful initially when teaching my wife and boys to ride as I could talk to them even as they were climbing a hill or shooting a bowl or explain what I was doing as I demonstrated dropping onto the face of a dune or rolling over a razor. And I continue to be able to verbally call out hazards; or let them get a glimpse of the coyote I saw running through the dunes off to the side of us; or they can alert me that someone towards the back in our string of riders (commonly a dozen or so long) has had a problem that I wasn't aware of yet. Yes, most of this can be done with visual signals, but the radios are quicker and the communication is more concise.

I was concerned about the possibility of not enough unused frequencies in a busy place like Glamis but we've rarely had to change channels or privacy codes to find a clear one. No, I won't tell you which combinations we tend to use. :wink:

I strap the radio on the quad and have the PTT button mounted on the bars so all we have to do is plug the cord from our helmet into the cord on the quad and we're ready to go. And if you have the misfortune to get separated from your quad the cord just unplugs itself for you.

The radio plug on the harness is specific to the brand and model of radio so make sure you buy the right one if you get these. The radio plug portion of the harness can be changed without buying the rest of the setup if you get new radios with a different style socket. And rechargeable NiMh batteries power our radios for a whole weekend as long as we turn them off when we're done riding.

Be safe out there.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Helmet two-way radios for quads/cycles

Post by WoodIsGood » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:15 pm

I was asked by Washroad for info on this so thought I'd revive this old post. I got my helmet headsets online from Dennis Kirk. There are full-face helmet sets and open-face helmet sets, so make sure you get the right thing. And the plug to connect to your radios is brand specific too. If I was starting from scratch I'd probably buy GMRS radios instead of the FRS radios just to get better range.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Tree
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Re: Helmet two-way radios for quads/cycles

Post by Tree » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:53 am

I have the baja designs head set. It's a little more then the motocom stuff but it has the noise canceling mics so you get better reception. I plug it into my rino 530 hcx gps unit and it works great.
DBS Blast and Powder Coat-owner http://www.dbspowdercoat.com/

'03 KTM 540 EXC dual sport

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”