Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

sandhead
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

NEW Yaesu FTM-10R radio

Post by sandhead » Fri May 25, 2007 10:08 pm

It's almost like they made a radio for specially for a sand car.

Dual Band
Small
Water resistant
MP3 input
Intercom
Waterproof Bluetooth Headset

I wonder if the headset can be heard over engine noise?

What do you all think about the radio?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... /0813.html

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... 813op.html
KE6IBH

djw
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by djw » Mon May 28, 2007 10:56 am

Nice little rig, the only thing missing is a data jack for easy packet operation. But then again, that's not the market that this radio is aiming at.

Speaking of which, very interesting on Yaesu's marketing approach. Words like, noisy off road environments, able to work the controls with gloves, handle bar mounts, controls sealed for dusty environments. Thumbs up to Yaesu, would be fascinating to hear why they green lighted the product

When I looked around for a rig to install in the car, at the time the only dual banders out there had fans. Nice to see that they are using the chassis as a heat sink. But after three years, I haven't killed mine yet. [-o<

The PA function could be fun, or embarrassing if you weren’t paying attention.
:shock:
djw
W8AME

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Mon May 28, 2007 11:27 am

Yaesu's always been good about making tough radios. My old FT-23r's are still kicking after over two decades of abuse!

Their current FT1802 2m rig is fanless and has had an off-road race truck kicking up dust in it's advertising for the past couple of years.

This new rig looks very exciting...as long as it doesn't encourage the rash of illegal operations in the desert that are starting to become problematic...we don't need another federal agency giving OHVers a black eye because some of us can't be bothered to follow the rules.

I'm guessing this was just announced last week at Dayton since even Yaesu's own website doesn't feature a photo yet. Kind of surprised I didn't hear anything about it from friends who were at Dayton...then again most of them weren't there looking for off-road capable rigs :D

Interesting that it has a built in mic and a hand mic is an optional accessory...not sure how useful a built in mic is on a mobile.

A data jack would be nice though to enable APRS use on the 2M side and voice on the 440 - a very useful configuration in the desert that doesn't appear to be possible with this particular radio.

Very cool little radio overall.

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Sand Diego Duner » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:18 pm

jhitesma wrote:This new rig looks very exciting...as long as it doesn't encourage the rash of illegal operations in the desert that are starting to become problematic...we don't need another federal agency giving OHVers a black eye because some of us can't be bothered to follow the rules.
Jason how bad are the illegal operators out in the dunes? A friend of mine just passed his tech exam and we wanted to try using our 2m HT's while we were out at the dunes.

MFortie
1st Gear Member

Newb questions

Post by MFortie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:18 am

Being new to this sport, I don't know much about radios, so...

What kind of license is required?

Can someone have a mobile unit like this and a base station setup at camp?

What kind of range are these setups good for? Line of sight?

Any of these setups work with aircraft ANR headsets?

Thanks,

Mark

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Re: Newb questions

Post by Sand Diego Duner » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Mark these radios are Ham radios (Amateur Radio). A license is required to use them but a Technician license is all that is required for the particular radio mentioned in this topic. You can have a mobile setup in a rail and have a base station setup back at camp. The only catch is if your out in the rail the person your talking with at camp must also be licensed. Most radios work line of sight but there are repeater stations setup on the surrounding mountain tops that extend your range. I can personally reach the Catalina Island repeater from my driveway with 25 watts of power on the 2 meter band in my truck. The island is about 75 miles away! You should be able to use air craft style headsets.

If you would like more information about licensing check out http://www.qrz.com
MFortie wrote:Being new to this sport, I don't know much about radios, so...

What kind of license is required?

Can someone have a mobile unit like this and a base station setup at camp?

What kind of range are these setups good for? Line of sight?

Any of these setups work with aircraft ANR headsets?

Thanks,

Mark

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Good info from SDD.

In response to the other question about how much abuse is out there...it's enough that it's something that could easily become an issue soon. Many of the frequencies the "race radio" companies are setting people up with are licensed by legitimate users in the Imperial Valley and Yuma. I've personally listened to several instances of guys with race radios knocking out local users with their operating.

I've heard of at least one account of a search and rescue operation (thankfully just a practice and not an actual emergency) that was affected by people with "race radios" operating illegally.

I've also heard from several QRP VHF operators who have had problems with dune users operating in the Amateur bands. QPR means low power, they operate at <5w of power usually into portable temporary antennas and they use CW or SSB which would just sound like background noise (or less) to someone with an FM radio. That also means they tend to have antennas that are designed for very high gain in exactly one direction. If they're not pointed at you and they can hear you....it's pretty much a guarantee you're not operating legally - and with those high gain high directivity antennas they're good at narrowing down exactly where a signal is coming from.

Quite a few of them are also retirees with plenty of time on their hand to write angry letters to the FCC enforcement bureaus. I'd think of them as neighbors who will be very helpful, generous, and friendly unless you repeatedly upset them - and then all the things that made them strong friends end up making them even stronger enemies.

We REALLY don't want yet another federal agency to fight with if we can avoid it. Being legal in this respect isn't hard. It either takes a little bit of time and money...or a decent about of money and no time. Getting an amateur license is easier than most people think, try the practice test at QRZ.com and just guess on the ones you don't know until you get more right than you do wrong, the test is a one time cost and cheap renewal is free as long as you remember to send in the form every 10 years or so. The other option is getting a commercial license, it costs money and there are fairly strict limits on frquency, power and where you can operate. I have no interest in commercial radio so I can't answer any questions about that path.

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Sand Diego Duner » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:15 am

Jason I thought the abuse was coming from non-hams using ham equipment out in the dunes. I'm sure one of these days the FCC with step in and track down the biggest offenders using "race" radios.

It sounds like "race" radios are the new CB radios. The channel 19 idiots here in San Diego think you must run 1000+ watts to talk to another idiot across a valley from them. I'm really surprised the FCC hasn't had more complaints about TVI and interference.

JAT
1st Gear Member

Re: NEW Yaesu FTM-10R radio

Post by JAT » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:25 am

These FTM-10R radios are awesome....

I've been using one on my dirt-bike for some time. A year now.
The bike... has a battery (for elec.start), and is able to with stand the juice needed for this 50W radio.

However, I am in need of the FTM-10SR version... a 10Watt, smaller water-resistant chassis (with the same remote-head-unit)

I have two of the FTM-10R radios, and am going to sell them very soon. Or, if anyone has a FTM-10SR in their back pocket... I'll trade one of the FTM-10R straight across. And still sell the second one I have.

If you'd like to see pics of this radio installed... I'll see if I can muster them up. I used a small dual band antenna on my fork leg of the bike, mounted the radio base under the seat (not environmentally sound for the radio) and the remote-head up on the handle bars. Worked GREAT... as I run all of this through my helmet radio (mic and speakers) with a remote mounted Push-to-talk on the handlebars, within thumb reach.

I've used it mostly to pre-run for SCORE races in Baja, and to free-ride communicating with our chase-truck. So much better than using a 5watt portable.

Thanks for reading... and let me know if your interested in pics, or what have ya.

JAT

:!: -- SDD... I understand that (radio frequency abuse) issue, and I've been practicing for my test(s). I try and preach proper etiquette... but, it sometimes seems futile. I don't want to be "one of those" that get caught with their pants down. Plus, it'd be kind of nice to be able to use a repeater in case of urgency, or talk to fellow HAMers.

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”