intercom & car to car communication

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Spookydust
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

intercom & car to car communication

Post by Spookydust » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:01 pm

Just wanted to let people over here on the ASA site know that I am a new Avcom and Vertex dealer and I am running a special on the 4 person"play car" kits. Special price is $1500.00 and it comes 100% complete. PCI sells this setup for $1695.00 and Mobile communications sells it for $1,750.00.

If you are interested, please send me a pm.

Thanks!

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:27 pm

Can you send a link with information on this type of deal because I have another neat use for it, if it does what I think it can do.
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

http://www.sandtramp.com

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:17 pm

Hey Dusty, that new Avatar looks nice on you! :wink:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:46 pm

I felt left out so I had to. :lol:
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

http://www.sandtramp.com

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:58 pm

What would be the required costs and needed 'stuff' for Rail to rail.

Maybe units for three rails but two are two seaters.

What is the range when talking rail to rail?

I don't want to talk to the dude next to me :lol: if there is one, but I want to warn my friend following me of the witches eye...

Can an Ipod type player be hooked in?

Thanks,

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

crash

Post by crash » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:22 am

I have studied this and the answer is YES to everything. With a standard intercom system from the likes of Spruce Aircraft and a radio setup from the likes of Racing Radios you can pretty much do it all.

1) Cut out the dangerously noisy buggy noise.
2) Talk on VOX to the guy in the passanger seat/ back seat.
3) Push a button to talk to your buddies in other buggies. and
4) Hook an outside device(xm radio, digital player, tape player, etc.) in for backround music.

Some of the systems even have auto shunting of backround music as soon as someone starts to talk.

It's really limited to how much you want to spend. But then again, what isn't. :P

I have also been on a heli tour in Hawaii where all this was done AND it was all recorded on a video tape showing us on our tour and what the guide and my wife and I said during the tour. All with backround music. The most impressive part. When we landed the pilot simply went under the back seat and handed tapes to both me and the group that was in the back of the chopper on the same tour. Their tape only had them on it and ours only had us on it. THAT WAS COOL!!! And no waiting for post processing. AMAZING.

This should probably be in the GPS two-way radio area. That is a good place to look for more, good info on this.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:23 pm

crash wrote:This should probably be in the GPS two-way radio area. That is a good place to look for more, good info on this.
Right you are. Moved. :wink:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Spookydust
1st Gear Member

Post by Spookydust » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Obsessed,

To talk rail to rail, all you really need in the radio and an antenna. If you want in car communication, add an intercom and headsets (2 or 4 person). Then if you have the in car, you cqn have a PTT and use the headset mic instead of the radio hand held mic. And yes, an IPOD can be hook up direct into the intercom and piped through the headsets....also, you can hook up a cell phone through the intercom. Its really a pretty cool set up.

Thank you for your interest.

OBSESSED wrote:What would be the required costs and needed 'stuff' for Rail to rail.

Maybe units for three rails but two are two seaters.

What is the range when talking rail to rail?

I don't want to talk to the dude next to me :lol: if there is one, but I want to warn my friend following me of the witches eye...

Can an Ipod type player be hooked in?

Thanks,

Steve
Roost-Ya Later!!

Spookydust
1st Gear Member

Post by Spookydust » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:43 pm

Thank you for moving this to the correct section.
LoBuck wrote:
crash wrote:This should probably be in the GPS two-way radio area. That is a good place to look for more, good info on this.
Right you are. Moved. :wink:
Roost-Ya Later!!

Spookydust
1st Gear Member

Post by Spookydust » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Everything you stated is correct....I really like the video taping idea. Im sure the chopper must of had two seperate units so you didn't get the other peoples voice on your tape. Thats pretty cool. Since I "have to go" to Hawaii next week, I will check it out for myself and let ya know....yeah me!

crash wrote:I have studied this and the answer is YES to everything. With a standard intercom system from the likes of Spruce Aircraft and a radio setup from the likes of Racing Radios you can pretty much do it all.

1) Cut out the dangerously noisy buggy noise.
2) Talk on VOX to the guy in the passanger seat/ back seat.
3) Push a button to talk to your buddies in other buggies. and
4) Hook an outside device(xm radio, digital player, tape player, etc.) in for backround music.

Some of the systems even have auto shunting of backround music as soon as someone starts to talk.

It's really limited to how much you want to spend. But then again, what isn't. :P

I have also been on a heli tour in Hawaii where all this was done AND it was all recorded on a video tape showing us on our tour and what the guide and my wife and I said during the tour. All with backround music. The most impressive part. When we landed the pilot simply went under the back seat and handed tapes to both me and the group that was in the back of the chopper on the same tour. Their tape only had them on it and ours only had us on it. THAT WAS COOL!!! And no waiting for post processing. AMAZING.

This should probably be in the GPS two-way radio area. That is a good place to look for more, good info on this.
Roost-Ya Later!!

dune4d
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dune4d » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:36 pm

So here's a twist. A buddy and I want to be able to talk from quad to quad. I'm thinking a 2 way radio with an ear piece. Best case scenario, it would have some kind of noise canceling so we could hear something other than the engines. Where would I find something like that??????

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:32 pm

dune4d wrote:So here's a twist. A buddy and I want to be able to talk from quad to quad. I'm thinking a 2 way radio with an ear piece. Best case scenario, it would have some kind of noise canceling so we could hear something other than the engines. Where would I find something like that??????
There are intercom systems for motorcycles that may work. I would start with Chatterbox, then look to upgrade it if it proves insufficient. I know Sand Commander has a set up between his rail and his son's quad, but not sure what they use.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:07 am

The rail to rail radio I use will talk from Keyhole at Gecko to the entrance to Olds valley by highway 78. I also have a hand held radio and its range is from Wash 7 to just past Olds. The hills do interfere with the hand held more than the in car radio.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:45 pm

So I have a kenwood TK-790H race radio setup from PCI that I got in trade. Seems like overkill for car to car type use. Looks more like a professional setup for a desert race team. Am I correct?

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”