Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Laptop GPS?

Post by crash » Wed May 03, 2006 3:09 pm

Been looking for a better alternative to my Garmin Legend for traveling in the truck, bigger screen, voice prompts, better maps, etc. Any suggestions?

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB » Wed May 03, 2006 3:36 pm

No can help. Mine's even cheaper than the legend. Somebody on this board will have your info tho, with plenty of experience and some opinion thrown it to boot!
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

like2bcrazy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by like2bcrazy » Wed May 03, 2006 9:38 pm

If you want something that works with a laptop, try Delorme.

http://www.delorme.com

Has voice prompts and speech recognition. You just ask it "where am I' or "next turn" etc.

You may want to look at the garmin street pilot series.http://www.garmin.com

The big GPS at Garmin is the new 7200/7500series. They have traffic and weather information.

It all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. I have the Garmin 2610 and the Delorme. I like the portability of the 2610.

Mark
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Wed May 03, 2006 11:39 pm

like2bcrazy wrote:If you want something that works with a laptop, try Delorme.
W:shock:W

$99.95 for the GPS reciever AND Street Atlas USA. That looks like a really good deal.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Thu May 04, 2006 1:54 am

I've used street atlas on a laptop with my GPSIII+ before and it worked very well. Only problem was battery life on the notebook.

Of course it didn't die until we got to a point where we really could have used it as the road washed out in a flash flood and we were wondering if it would be quicker to wait the few hours for it to clear that DPS was predicting....or to go around the long way and take a different path.

If I did a LOT of driving and could justify it the all in one GPSes with navigation are nice...but I don't drive that much.

My mom has a Pacifica with the built in naviation and it's kind of nice...I tried it last time I went home. But again she never uses it since she knows her way around where she lives. And having grown up there I knew my way around as well. Not having been there in a few years though I gave it a try...and even my hazy memory was good enough to know that the directions it was giving were not the best way to go.

crash

Post by crash » Fri May 05, 2006 2:37 pm

I've noticed that the prices for these things have stayed about the same the last couple years, but the features have increased substantially. Did not know the Delorme had live updates. Thank you.

Poiks

Post by Poiks » Fri May 05, 2006 3:22 pm

I just ordered the PalmOne GPS Navigator for use with my Treo 650. Looks good online...we will see. $199

crash

Post by crash » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:32 am

I just bought the DeLorme. $79, free shipping, no tax. SWEET!!!.......I hope :?

Bought it through epinions at atomicpark.com if anyone is interested. It's a $15 savings when going through the epinions link.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:05 pm

crash wrote:I just bought the DeLorme. $79, free shipping, no tax. SWEET!!!.......I hope :?

Bought it through epinions at atomicpark.com if anyone is interested. It's a $15 savings when going through the epinions link.
:? I guess you finished the Cost of Living analysis. :lol:

Be sure to give us a review.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

crash

Post by crash » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:47 pm

:D :shock: :lol: :oops:
Last edited by crash on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crash

Post by crash » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:52 pm

I just installed this afternoon. It works great. Wish it had more than one female voice to choose from, but, so far, very intuitive and easy to use. The database is VERY limited. Didn't have any of the race tracks I frequent or stores I frequent in there, but as long as I knew the point I wanted to end up at, it was OK. Also had trouble with a couple of airports I was looking for. Multiple ways to search so I ended up finding them. Interestingly, the shortest routes are almost always NOT the quickest. And, I know for a fact that it is wrong at least once so far already. The route that it says is the quickest takes me through back roads in the mountains that are twisty, slow, and has stop signs, as opposed to three minutes in the wrong direction to get on the freeway and avoid all that. Not bad for $79.00, but certainly not as good as advertised.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:53 pm

I just got Garmins GPSMap 76Csx. It has a color screen which I've loaded the Western US Topo map. When travelling I plug it into the laptop and use Streets & Trips. Nice unit, I reccomend it.

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by RacingRay » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:28 am

I use the Delorme for city driving when traveling. I visited the Radio Shack in Yuma just last week and picked up a 150Watt power inverter plugs in the cigarette lighter. Not only did I run it all the way back to Phoenix but the laptop was fuly charged when I got back.

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:51 am

I used to have a Magellan Roadmate 500. It needed servicing and thats when I found out it is impossible to get them repaired at the factory. I now have a Garmin StreetPilot 2720 and it is amazing. The hard drive makes it work 200 times faster than the Magellan which uses a photo card.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:19 pm

Are these above products so you guys wont:

Need to learn how to read a map?
OR...
Ask for directions?
or
Are they just "Toys" for you to play with?

If you are not a traveling salesman that makes numerous calls in cities and towns away from where you live, what would be the need for the above devices?

My GPS in my rail is for telling me my speed and top speed, and miles...
We dune, then we find the funnest dune route, getting there is 1/2 the fun, following the arrow? Why?

In twenty years, will reading a map be like reading a 'Sun Dial' is today?

Some things [a lot of things... :lol: ]
... I just don't get!

S

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Its a convienience thing. Remember, we dont like to get out and ask for directions!

Here is a couple personal situations from my last trip that made me love having my GPS and streets.

While in Elko Nevada on the way to Idaho, I had a bad shimmy in the front end of the Mohorhome. Having the GPS hooked to streets I was able to:
1)Quickly locate an auto repair place using the find nearby places feature where I could get assistance to diagnose the problem.
2)A local pizza place so I could drop the family while I took care of #1
3)The local Walmart so we could spend the night once I found out that I needed to get two front tires on Monday.
4)Verbal turn by turn directions to the tire place on Monday.

It also came in handy countless times assisting me to navigate through the back roads of Idaho and Nevada when I got off the path looking for fuel stations. Like most of you, my rig is not easy to back up or take sharp U-turns. It helped me find the best route through some residential areas, instantly. Couldnt do that with a paper map.

I will not travel without em!

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by RacingRay » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Obsessed wrote:If you are not a traveling salesman that makes numerous calls in cities and towns away from where you live, what would be the need for the above devices?
Hey I resemble that remark! Steve you being resistant to technology? Hummm.....as he types on his keyboard for that computer he has no real use for.......................

crash

Post by crash » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Three weeks ago I was in Utah and the hotel was about 30-45 minutes away from the day time location. Got lost twice. Then we needed to drop the truck driver at the Freightliner dealer where he was getting a service. Ended up going the LONG way. Decided that as soon as I got back I was going to order this.

On the plus side, I did get to see a copper mine up close! :lol:

If you travel a bit and are not familiar with the area, these units are GREAT.

I've been lost in the South before with a semi full of race cars, and I can tell you, we would have paid $1000.00 for it right then. CAN YOU SAY WRONG TRIBE?

Oh, and by the way, I usually just use the stars to navigate, but this is for when there are clouds. 8)

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:49 pm

CAN YOU SAY WRONG TRIBE?
No I can not...
:lol:
Plan ahead... :shock: :lol:

The Lord is my Shepard...
He leadeth me beside the still water...
So, I guess that makes him my GPS...

It's funny, driving around the USA two summers ago, not once did I wish we had a talking GPS :lol:

A talking GPS...

A talking GPS :lol:

Did I make any "wrong" turns...

Yes, but, like I always say, if you just follow the arrow, you will miss a nice dune ride, or in my case above the Washington DC Ghetto...
The thing is, It was awesome, driving through DC in my MH watching the looks on all the "Different" people's faces...

It is an experience that I will always look back on with a smile.

Now If I would have had a talking GPS, I might have ended up in a tidal basin....

Enjoy your new toy, High Tech Toy...

Damm it, the sun just went down, what time is it?

Anyone wear a watch anymore? Is TiMEX still in business? Rolex, why?
No, cell phones have them. Can any teen even tell time? There is no more big hand! No one is on time anyway... but that's a different thread.

So... if depending on tech crap is your thing then by all means do it!

I prefer to experience my life without the aid of a GPS arrow.
If you want to depend on one, go ahead, when the power goes out, and there are no longer batteries available, and the grid is down, you’ll be yelling my name in vain… :shock: :lol: :lol:

BUT I can't HEAR YOU!
ya hear? :wink: :shock: :lol:

Speak up... My hearing aid that's hooked to my computer has a loose connection...

:wink:

crash

Post by crash » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:56 pm

Let me just say that driving through the DC ghetto may have been "fun" and memerable for you, but that is only because you didn't happen to meet the "right" guy who would have pulled his 9 and jacked your ride.

Getting lost in the ghetto is also MUCH different than heading down a two lane road in a semi and not seeing anyone from your "tribe" for an hour or so and preying to either find a place to turn around, although we really didn't want to slow down that much, or that the road would eventually hit another interstate that would have a marker on it.

You know, there are some "radicals" in this world that want to take us back a century or two in technology. Your not suggesting anything like that are you?

crash

Post by crash » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:54 am

I've been playing with this thing for about a week now, and all I can say is THIS THING IS COOL!! Within a matter of minutes I can find locations, plot a route between them, and adjust to specific roads I want to use. I save it and move on to the next route. Whenever I want to go to a particular location, I pull it up and all my trip info is there. It gives estimated travel times and logs as I go for future real number refference. It gives me voice commands, which are cool, but so far I have only used it for locations I know so not really required yet. It will respond to MY voice commands, but I haven't calibrated it yet as I don't know if my wife or I will be the primary user yet.

I have also used a screen shot and distance calculation for a traffic incident I am involved in as evidence. I couldn't be happier with this product so far.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:02 am

Crash, which model did you end up with?

crash

Post by crash » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:32 am

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it is a DeLorme LT-20 with US street maps 2006.

Yes, this is what I have. I see that the 2007 release will be out 8/16.

crash

Post by crash » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 am

The unit worked REALLY well this past couple of weeks. Drove hundreds of miles on interstates and back roads and found it indispensable. It REALLY sucked at showing POI's and gas stations though. A couple of times I needed gas in the boonies and was unable to locate a station with the unit. Luckily a station showed up both times. I tried using the search function while in towns and could see major stations in front of me and it still returned nothing. Changed all kinds of varibles and still got nothing. Maybe it was me or maybe it was the area I was in. I will try again around San Diego. Also sample rate is a little anoying. Doesn't sample fast enough when on country roads and going 55+ and coming to turn. Ended up going past turn streets many times. On the plus side, we were always within about 100 feet when we realized that we missed the turn. Ended up using it as map and looking for street name signs to find my way. On the way to airport with two vehicles and ten people, we avoided a a two mile back up by rerouting on backroads instead of interstate. We were on three different planes and made all of our flights. That was VERY nice. Needs improvements, but for $79.00 I can't complain too much.

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”