Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Yuma Hamfest?

Post by nats-fj40 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:19 pm

Any of you have any inside info on this? Just got the flyer so I'm guessing they sent it out to anyone in the general area.
Just happens I may be at the fairgrounds that saturday (daughters horse show) so may have to slip away and check it out. IF the horse is back on his feet! :(

http://www.yumahamfest.com

Feb. 17-18-19
Jon B.
KG6NLC

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:24 pm

I got my flyer. Haven't talked to any of the organizers since this summer though so I don't know any details.

Interesting that there's a horse show as well....they show most of the fairgrounds being setup for potential vendors. Though if last years showing is an indication them about 90% of the spaces will be open still.

There were some good deals there last year and friendly vendors....but it was kind of silly that they enforced their space assignments because there were so many spaces but so few vendors it was a lot of walking inbetween tables.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 pm

I got the mailer as well. Didn't make last years event as I was out if town, but heard the same thing Jason said. This being the 2nd year, I hope attendance will be better.

Might be a good idea to listen to the "roundup" on the local repeaters at 9am.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:39 pm

While attendance was low at last years innaugural event...I still felt it was worth the trip over (free admission) and I did get a number of things I had been needing.

But head over early. The deals went quick last year and many of the vendors left early because of the small crowds (and rain...that didn't help either!)

The sand drags will be in Yuma that weekend again as well, so if you're looking for a longer event to use as an excuse to hit the hamfest there you go :D

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:51 am

Horse show is over at the rodeo grounds, just a short walk over to the bldgs. Her horse came up with a limp at the last show (1/21) and she had to drop out. If he's ready we'll be there gawd awful early, if not he's gotta be ready for her showing at the mid winter fair. Anyway still kinda looking for a dual band handheld.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:43 pm

I love my "new" FT-470 not nearly as small or light as a "modern" handheld but it feels like a real radio :D And with dual recieve it's nice for working sats as well as monitoring the local echolink node (on 440) and the local repeater (on 2m) at the same time.

I heard about a few deals on handhelds at least years show...but most of them were snatched up in the first 10 minutes from what I heard! A few volunteers spotted them while the vendors were setting up and made a beeline as soon as sales started ;)

But I also heard the usual story about one that didn't sell all weekend, nice radio but asking price was too high...then just before the vendor left someone made him a lowball offer and he took it so he wouldn't have to carry it home. Ya just never know when you'll get a deal at one of these things!

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”