License for VHF radios

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

License for VHF radios

Post by RacingRay » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:10 am

With the type of mobile radios that PCI Racing sells is a license required or not? I have been searching for info and all I can find is it is no longer required for boating or avation (VHF) as long as you do not go through a repeater or operate in international areas. The FCC says it is because they are still considered short range radios they are not needed anymore for boating if used only in US territory the same for avaition.
Did I read something wrong?

I also bought a base unit for the trailer so does each station need a license if required? Or is it each operator? Thanks for any info!
Ray

like2bcrazy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by like2bcrazy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:29 pm

From the radios shown on the PCI Racing website, a license would be required. There some low power, license free VHF channels but they are limited to 2w ERP. It's not unlawful to sell unlicensed radios but it is unlawful to transmit without a license. You should as them about weather a license is required. I would be curious to hear the answer.

Aircraft and boat radios don't require a licence but the aircraft radio must be in an aircraft and the boat must be on the water.

One license will usually cover all the radios, base and mobile. There will be a maximum number of each, along with a maximum permitted power output listed on the license.

I would look into GMRS. It's UHF but the license is easy to get.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by RacingRay » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Thanks, I already have the mobile and base plus I bought my son a set-up for his car. I think for emergency situations it is worth getting the license I need. I will just have to do some searching to find out what I need. In the meantime I will just listen and learn without transmitting.

like2bcrazy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by like2bcrazy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:19 pm

If you only intend to use the equipment for life threating emergencies, then no license is required. The FCC allows for communications "by any means" if there is a life in danger.

Otherwise, you will need to know what frequencies and power output the radios operate on. This will allow you to determan what FCC "service" the radios are setup for. Then you can find out if you qualify for a license. Frequencies are allocated to business,fire,police etc.

If you can find out the frequencies, you can search the FCC database.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:22 am

As I recall, there was a discussion earlier that PCI maintains a blanket license for all of the radios it sells (or rather, the frequencies they transmit on). This is also the way most compaines which use radios comply with FCC regs.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by RacingRay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks Guys that is what I needed to know. I will start with a call back to PCI. I never even thought about a license until I started reading all your posts about Ham operators. I just couldn't find anything specfic reading all the old threads.

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”