Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Ok, here's a sneak preview

Post by jhitesma » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:41 pm

This is still pretty rough so I'm hesistent to show it off yet. But with all the political nonsense going on lately I want to share something more recreational and positive with the users of the board.

And this is something I've been wanting to do for a few years. Yesterday I finally sat down and got started on making it happen:

http://www.yumaduners.com/jth_upload/maps/index.html

Thankfully I've had a few clients who gave me the excuse to get familiar with Google Maps recently :D

The add is fully functional. You just click on the map and it will pre-load the coordinates for you then you can fill in the rest. If you add a point you can also delete it and there's an option to 'protect' it which removes the delete option.

I still have to add an edit function, just haven't decided how I want the interface on that to work yet.

I'm also working on adding a GPX export so you can download the info and bring it into whatever software you use to up/download points from your GPS.

Eventually this will have a more stringent moderation setup...and I may even incorporate it into the ASA site so supporting members can login and use it to store and retrieve their own lists of waypoints.

Let me know what you all think. Any feedback is appreciated at this time as this is a major work in progress. Oh and if it suddenly stops working don't be too shocked - like I said I'm still working on it :D

AlxCook
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by AlxCook » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:05 pm

Jason, something looks wrong, doesn't seem to fit the page right?
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:13 pm

Can you be more specific about what dosn't fit and how it dosn't fit?

The map itself is 700x500 which is fairly large I admit...but like I said this is a work in progress and right now a bigger map is making it easier on me testing things. In a final version I may either let people choose a map size or just go with a smaller one.

But that's the only thing on the page that would force a size.

Ahhh, wait a second. You must be in IE. I just checked in IE and something sure is mucking up the map size in there. I'll look into that when I have a few minutes.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:18 pm

Ahh, found it. Apparently the anchor tag above the DIV was confusing IE for some unknown reason (unknown since it was perfectally valid HTML.)

I hate trying to make things play nice in IE....that !@*@*@ browser is so misbehaved it makes my live miserable.

IE also seems to be having some issues with the code that adds the closed area to the map and the code that recenters the map when you click on a name. Again it's all valid to spec but apparently I have to figure out what non-standard way IE wants for it to work as expected there.

It should be viewable in IE now but I cat't make any claims about it being fully supported in IE due to IE's non standard implementation of Javascript and HTML.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:18 pm

Added some new features to this tonight. I've been working on something similar for some clients and then Sloppyduner asked me something in e-mail that made me think about applying it to my GPS page.

It now does directions :D

http://www.yumaduners.com/jth_upload/maps/

At the very bottom of the page are two forms.

The first on the left lets you get directions between the last place you clicked on the big map and any point in the table. Just click somewhere on the map and it will fill in the coordinates - then select one of the waypoints from the pulldown and it will try to get directions.

The other you can use to try and get directions between any two waypoints in the list (and since you can submit your own points this works for your own locations too.)

It is somewhat limited. It's designed for street/driving directions NOT off road direcitons. And it considers things like the canal road and Ted Kipf to be acceptable when figuring it's routes. For example from my house to Keyhole it suggested taking the sandhighway from Gordons!

But it's kind of neat to try.

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”