Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

New APRS stuff

Post by jhitesma » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:03 pm

The black mountian digi has recently been changed to no longer respond to WIDEN-N paths. If anyone was planning on running a tracker in the dunes You'll want to use 'RELAY,WIDE,WIDE' or 'WIDE,WIDE' or even 'WIDE,WIDE,WIDE' as your path as a result.

I'm hoping to test the 'RELAY,WIDE,WIDE' path with my 5 watt tracker and good antenna soon.

Also, there is now a nifty e-mail server designed to work with pagers and cell phones that will tell you how far apart two stations are. You just send an e-mail to mailto:aprs@kd5zlu.net with the two stations listed in the subject separated by a space. It will then e-mail back a reply saying something like "Station x is N miles from station y" in the subject. Could be handy to know out in the dunes if you have multiple people running trackers.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Another update on this. The paths above are no longer valid. I believe Black will still hear them but they're being depreciated.

Instead the southwest now follows the "New n-N" system. So your best path is now simply:

WIDE2-2

That will get you two hops from just about anywhere in the southwest US and two hops is plenty to get on the APRS-IS and see your position on the internet.

If you really need an extra third hop then the path to use is:

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

This is because plain WIDE and RELAY are being discontinued due to the way digipeaters handle them internally.

(BTW I recently acquired two more radios like the one I built my tracker in. I'm considering turning them into trackers as well that I can loan out to any licensed ham who will be in the dunes. If anyone is interested in this let me know, I don't have the money to get tracker boards for both of them right now but eventually I'd like to see them put to good use. And my tracker has been used several times to confirm that 5watts and a good antenna will make it in from just about anywhere in the dunes.)

djw
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by djw » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:26 pm

My weekend:

click here

:D
djw
W8AME

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”