Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

spectr17
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Turn off problem with GPS units

Post by spectr17 » Thu May 24, 2001 10:46 pm

Several people have been figthing an annoying problem with their GPS units that are turning themselves off for no reason. Fresh batteries and cleaning the battery contacts are not curing the problem.We think we have discovered the problem. Hard jolts to the GPS while offroading are causing the batteries to seperate causing carbon arcing like in an old car's point ignition system.To cure this problem, tape the 2 batteries that have the negative end pointing down together and the 2 with the positive end pointing up together.Keep the battery compartment clean and you can polish the battery springs/contacts up with a pencil eraser.Pic is of our old class 10 A arm buggy. SCORE Firecracker 250 race near Slash X Cafe, circa 1991 maybe???~Jesse

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Fri May 25, 2001 12:33 am

I know this was a problem with some Garmin units in the GPS II and III as well as II+ and III+ series. I got lucky and got one which came out after the became aware of the problem and redesigned the battery compartment.If I remember correctly there is a replacement battery door, or some type of ship available from Garmin if you have a unit with the problem. Probably worth checking their site.----Jason Hitesmanjason@hitesman.comhttp://www.hitesman.com/jason

Kevin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevin » Thu May 31, 2001 6:15 pm

i think garmin even addresses this issue on their site. i have read that even with the new baterry door that it will still arc. the best fix i have found is to toss the batteries and wire it directly into the vehicles electrical system. the even sell a kit to do it. kevin"I Love the Smell of Race Gas in the Morning"

Jeff Catlin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Jeff Catlin » Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:53 pm

I just hard wire it in to 12V. THat way I can leave it on all day and night without having to by stock in Duracell...Jeff

EBCMIKE
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by EBCMIKE » Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:41 pm

Spread the springs apart to make the spring pressue even tighter, this along with taping the batteries in a foursome like before mentioned.MIKE NESCHKEhttp://www.extremebuggies.commiken@extremebugg ... lathon.com

Kevin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevin » Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:46 pm

i read that in addition to taping the batteries together that you should coat the ends of the batts with vaseline to help reduce the arcing. got this from dirt bike magazine.kevin"I Love the Smell of Race Gas in the Morning"

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”