Need help on picking GPS model

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Eatmyroost
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Need help on picking GPS model

Post by Eatmyroost » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:11 am

Iam in need of some good advice. Iam looking into buying a handheld model. Garmin seems to be the most popular. Just wondering what model will be the best for me. How many of the trick little features do you actually use, like mapping, color screen, size memory, ect. What are the pro and cons of getting a cheepy vs more expensive one. I will be using it mostly when i go to the desert. I don't see a need at home or work unless you can tell me some neat uses. :D

RobC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by RobC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:50 am

I have the Garmin eTrex. It works great for me. I mainly use if for marking spots, finding hills, or seeing how far it is to a certain location.
Save the Dunes!!
Rob's Dune Site
My Pics

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by quad1100 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:44 pm

I have a Magellan Platinum. I have a mount in my sandrail and that is where I get my speed indication from a long with any other data I need. Mainly just a straight-line path back to camp if that is what I want for some reason. Could also help in an emergency so you can give coordinates of your location to rescue personnel.

As for home use I have used it many times when traveling. Instead of getting a local map at the gas station I use my GPS with that regions maps loaded in it, also use it when traveling to give ETA and other info.

Eatmyroost
1st Gear Member

Post by Eatmyroost » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:36 pm

Thats a good idea about the speedometer/ odometer. Are they really that accurate and able to give you real time speed?

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:34 pm

Speed from a GPS is almost always more accurate than speed from a spedo in most cars.

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:02 pm

The type of sand toy you have might be a consideration.......where you plan to mount or carry it etc.... Color probably isn't necessary, and alot of these things are lost out in the dunes. If it's just for finding your camp or a location in the dunes, a cheap one will do. If you plan on using it for hiway/city navigation go up in price. A basic etrex (yellow) works fine and relativly cheap. Does everything you need but maps for the most part.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:32 pm

Eatmyroost wrote:Thats a good idea about the speedometer/ odometer. Are they really that accurate and able to give you real time speed?
The only thing I have noticed about the speedometer is it only refreshes about every second, when we were trying to figure out the 100-yard speed of my buddy’s sandrail it did not refresh fast enough to be perfectly accurate. The other thing I noticed is when you are climbing a dune and trying to figure out speed, I don't think there is any compensation for change of altitude, thus if the GPS is only measuring flat ground speed it will not read accurately. But what the heck, it's close enough for my sake.

Most the guys on this board will recommend the Garmin units. Nothing wrong with them either, some even have some radio's built in.

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:09 pm

I think all GPSs have a "maximum speed" setting you could use. Just reset it before the start of the drags, then look it up after your run. I use the e-trex myself and it works great. Bring extra batteries, because they don't last forever and it is worthless if the batteries go out when you need it most. I have had experience with this advice.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:14 pm

I love the "trip computer" function on my Garmin. This morning I was driving Dr. Phillips around (he's got a Garmin III+ and a V+ himself) and used the GPS the whole way. So I know we went 7.4 miles total at an average speed of 15.5mph and top speed of 29.2 (hey it's a standard travel swing axle car and I had a passenger who had to balance a GPS and a clipboard on his lap)

And thanks to the track feature and USAPhotoMaps I can even show where we went today on a satellite image:

(Click for detailed view)

Eatmyroost
1st Gear Member

Post by Eatmyroost » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:43 pm

Again, Iam new to the GPS thing and researching the different models and brands. Like everything else there are so many to choose from with a wide price range and so many different features. Who has a better reciever Garmin, or magellin. They seem to be the biggest names on the market.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:06 pm

I have the Garmin ETrex Legend and really like it. I use it for off-road, out of town driving, and for work. The map features really help out when trying to find a streets & location you're not familar with.

If I wasn't "LoBuck", I would spend some cash on one with a bigger screen to use in the Jeep and Suburban.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Hopper
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Hopper » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:34 pm

I have a Garmin emap delux, this is a very user friendly GPS. It is getting harder to find, I think they might have discontinued making them. If you can find one I would take a look at it.

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:49 pm

I have the Magellan Platinum, it is great. A much larger screen than the Garmin Etrex. Also you can get the Motorcycle mount and hook it up to your to your car for continued power. The mountain bike mount works awesome. It never turns off when the car is riding on rough ground.
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

Dunedog
1st Gear Member

Post by Dunedog » Sun May 06, 2007 10:22 am

I would check the GPS and radios at DogByte Computer. Not only do they have great prices they also give good descriptions to help you decide.[/url]

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”