Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

spectr17
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

What kind of GPS do you use?

Post by spectr17 » Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:50 am

What is everyone using for a GPS and any software if they are downloading into their computers? I started a few years back with a Magellan 2000. It plain sucked because of the 8 channel design. I upgraded to a 12 channel 4000 XL and finally loved using a GPS. I upgraded a year ago to a Garmin GPSIII. I like the feature of being able to rotate the screen and pop it on my truck dash while scouting. When I need to hike an area I just flip the screen back and take off. The external antenna is nice to have but I haven't really needed to use it yet. You do have to be careful about the protruding antenna, the antenna will not take the pounding like my dirt biker buddies dish out. Battery life is about the same for most GPS units I've used. The op manual is easy to figure out and the Garmin is very intuitive as far as buttons and menu functions. It locks up quickly on satellites. For dislikes, I wish there was more room than 6 letters for naming a waypoint. I made my own 12vdc cig. lighter cable and computer download cable using the connector from Larry's Pplug project. I have Delorme's Topo USA, Maptech's Terrain Navigator, Wildflower's TOPO and Ozie Explorer and I use Ozie the most. I get the free DRG maps (topo maps for computers), from GIS Data Depot and then use Ozie to upload/download my waypoints and other info. How about everyone else, what kind of GPS do you have and what are your likes and dislikes? Do you download or upload your GPS info to you computer and if you do, what software are you using? Links for GIS Data Depot http://www.gisdatadepot.com/catalog/US/index.html Larry's Pplug project for Garmin data cable connectors http://pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/g45_idx.htm~Jesse

Buggydave
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Buggydave » Sat Mar 24, 2001 9:48 pm

I also have a Garmin GPS III but have not really used it much yet. I built a mount for my quad and tried it out last summer at the Cinders but i do not have a mount for my rail yet to try it at the Dunes.

gtoland
1st Gear Member

Post by gtoland » Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:32 pm

I have a Garmin GPS III. I have used it for around a year. I do not go away without it.Gary

Paleale
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Paleale » Sun Mar 25, 2001 10:14 pm

I got a Garmin E-Trex for Christmas and I love it. I have yet to use it in the dunes but have used it all over town (I can't get lost that way...) It is very simple to use and water proof/sand proof. I can't wait to get out to the dunes and use it.Paleale"You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. What do you want to be?" SAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Winston Cup » Sun Mar 25, 2001 10:57 pm

I have a Garmin GPS 12 that I have used for a few years. I recently purchased the Garmin GPS 12 Map version. These units are about as tough as they get. Very easy to use and well thought out. The only ***** I have so far with the new unit is they should have illuminated the buttons as well. It is very ergonomic. I have built a custom mount for it that got such good feedback that I am going into production on them this summer. I have not tried the topo map and computer downloads yet because my GPS wizard friend that I give a ride to everytime his truck tosses it's cookies, and was supposed to set me up with the cool stuff, has not come by yet. Either he comes by with the cool setup soon or next time its omnitrans.Guy ChrestForum AdministratorASA Supporter / Volunteer

rollins

Post by rollins » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:43 pm

I recently purchased a Magellan GPS315, and so far, I love it. I did not buy the instructional video, so it took a few days to figure out how to work it, but now I use it constantly. I too however would like to see the buttons light up at night. Does anyone know where I could find a mount to put it in my rail? Currently I just shove it in a pocket or have my passenger hang onto it, but I would like to mount it on the dash bar.

Paleale

Post by Paleale » Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:05 pm

Go here for GPS mounts http://www.citivu.com/usa/idc/index.htm ... aleale"You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. What do you want to be?" SAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:18 pm

Woah, where did this forum come from? I haven't been paying attention at all lately.I got a GPSIII+ right after moving to AZ in June of 99. I love it. The screen is a little scratched now but other than that it's taken way more abuse than I'd like to admit to and still works great. I use DeLorme StreetAtlas for mapping and sometimes hook it to a notebook for longer trips. But for long term storage of waypoints and tracks I love Waypoint+ which can be found free somewhere on TAPR's website http://www.tapr.org I'll try to find the link later.Still have to come up with a good mount for it and I'm waiting for my dad to send me my Pfrank connector. He got the same GPS a few weeks after I got mine and ordered the connectors. One I get that I'll finally work up a mount for the rail.I also got a friend an eTrex for christmas this year and would rather have it than my GPSIII+. The III+ is nice but it's way more than I need 99% of the time. And at $100 for an eTrex there's no excuse for not having a GPS anymore. Now that SA is turned off they're accurate as heck and cheap to boot!----Jason Hitesmanjason@hitesman.comhttp://www.hitesman.com/jason

Paleale

Post by Paleale » Fri Mar 30, 2001 10:50 pm

Jason see the link in my last post for mounts. IDC is a little pricey but I think I will buy one from them.Paleale"You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. What do you want to be?" SAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Sun Apr 01, 2001 1:25 pm

IDC is really pricy. I'm going to hack something together myself for the GPSII since it's got a mounting nut in the back. $7 bar clamp and a few bucks in miscelaneus hardware and I'll be set. But the eTrex models don't have any provisions for mounting as they come from the factory. They list a replacement battery cover with a mount nut as part of a bike mount kit, but I've yet to see it. I told my friend about the IDC mount but they wanted something like $70 which would hav made it one of the most expensive parts on his rail....not to mention %70 of the cost of the GPS in the first place! At the south dunes clean-up (where Grant George had his personal car out to inspire people to buy raffle tickets) my friend spotted a really slick minimal mount for the eTrex on Grants car. I asked him about it and the next week he ended up selling my friend one for under $20. We're still debating where to mount it but I spotted a rearview mirror mount kit at Checkers for $8 the other day that looked pretty slick. Just mount a shoe on your tow-vehicles windshield and one on your dune ride somewhere. Then you can move the GPS with swivel mount (designed for a rearview mirror) quickly and easily without even taking it out of it's mount. But we're still tossing around ideas :)----Jason Hitesmanjason@hitesman.comhttp://www.hitesman.com/jason

Paleale

Post by Paleale » Sun Apr 01, 2001 9:44 pm

Jason I found another site for mounts go here they are Called RAM mounts http://www.freshtracksmaps.com/gps-hand ... aleale"You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. What do you want to be?" SAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

Duneguy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Duneguy » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:59 am

I run a GPS3 on my quad. I bought it in '98; never would have, but laid eyes on the handlebar mount and I was sold. Like it alot. Speedo is nice when debunking Banshee top speed myths. Waypoints are easy to set. Lighted screen is great when hunting for camp at night. Only drawback is I go thru a set of batteries every day - morning to midnightish.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Wed Apr 04, 2001 3:49 am

Paleale, did you notice the Sierra Club is a sponser for the website you created a link for?

Paleale

Post by Paleale » Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:23 pm

No I did not know that ooooops sorry, should I delete it or leave it there. I was thinking about buying one of those RAM mounts they are a lot cheaper than IDC so what should I do.................Paleale"You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. What do you want to be?" SAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Apr 05, 2001 4:33 am

This sounds like a moral dilema............ If you can buy one from an ASA supporter then it would help our cause. If you buy from the dirty, rotten, stinkin' Sierra Club, then you might not have a use for the mount once the dunes are closed. Try Kartek, they have a few in there shop.

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by ggorman » Thu Apr 05, 2001 6:53 am

I use an eTrex, and it works great. Battery life is excellent. I bought the "handlebar mount" from Garmin, it is really made for a bicycle. The pounding that it gets on the quad finally bent the pins inside the back battery cover. I use a minature bungee cord to wrap around it and it's really solid now. Marking a point is simple, a couple of button presses, and a few more to set it as a "nav-to" point--good if you run across somebody that's hurt or broken down.If you update the software in the eTrex to the latest rev, it is very accurate and will give you the full sky view of where and how many satellites it is tracking. I used the Garmin Map Source software to download the GOL waypoints to it (the software itself is horrible for trip routing on the real roads though). I've marked a few new locations in the Buttercup area but haven't had time to upload them out of the GPS. For trip routing I use Door-to-Door 2000 Deluxe, but I'm still looking for something better for a reasonable price that will do turn-by-turn navigation when I have it hooked up to the laptop. Greg

SANDMANIAC

Post by SANDMANIAC » Wed Apr 11, 2001 11:52 pm

GARMIN 126..Still don't know how to use it very well, but I'm learning!HEY...WHERE DID GLAMIS GO?...J. Solishttp://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sandmaniacsasylum

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Apr 12, 2001 3:45 am

I just bought a Magellan GPS ColorTRAK yesterday. I bought it from a pawn shop for $150.00. It is brand newWOOOHOOO! I checked prices on the net and they ranged from $260.00-$380.00.........such a deal.Now I just have to figure out how to use it....DOH!I am a Sinner....

victor

Post by victor » Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:00 pm

i have the GPSIII it has the threaded insert for a mount but didn't buy/make a mount yet. heck, i'm still learning how to use the darn thing. whats the differance between the GPSIII and GPSIII+ ?... victor

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Thu Apr 19, 2001 12:50 am

IIRC the GPSIII+ is an updated version of the GPSIII and has now replaced it in Garmins lineup. Similarially the GPSII+ is just an updated version of the GPSII.Unfortunatly I can't remember most of the changes between the originals and the +'s. I know they added lights to the buttons and updated the firmware but I'm not sure what else.----Jason Hitesmanjason@hitesman.comhttp://www.hitesman.com/jason

georgefam
1st Gear Member

Post by georgefam » Sun May 20, 2001 11:17 pm

in response to gpsIII the limitted 8 character wp name you can edit the commit, then show comment in options and then you have 26 characters available.

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”