California State OHV Park

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Larry Jowdy
ASA Forum Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

The OLD days at Pismo (Oceano)

Post by Larry Jowdy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:22 pm

How many of you remember the Old Days at Oceano?

Back in the late 60's and up to the end of the 70's, we camped in the park that's next to that green lake, they had showers and water and with my camper, that was enough.

Never even thought about camping on the beach, why take the risk of getting stuck?

A few scalper tow truck drivers always hit up the people driving on the beach and offered to tow them out for $50.00 if they paid in advance. If they got stuck and didn't pay in advance then the fee was something like $100.00.

We drove our buggies or motorcycles over the wood bridge and right down the city street to the beach. We didn't have to deal with the fee's and the rangers, (there were no rangers and no toll station)

No one cared that we drove our OHV's on the street, afterall, it was only 1/4 mile to the dunes and we were careful. The few merchants always waved and were very friendly.

We could ride all the way south to Devil's slide and it was a real challenge to make it to the top of that hill.

The last time I duned at Oceano (probably 1979) I found a movie set in the middle of the dunes It was the "front" of a a house that was used in a movie about the Wright Bros and Kittyhawk and the first flight of an airplane.

Times were good back then.

I haven't duned at Oceano since then.

thor
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by thor » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:52 pm

I remember those days. post pics if any one has some....

Sand Commander
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sand Commander » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Speaking of movie sets at Pismo. I remember seeing pictures of a "Ben Hur" type movie set of the Coliseum built in the dunes for a black and white "non-talkie" movie. It had two huge golden sphinxes at the entrance and a oval track inside. When the shooting was done they allegedly left the set in the dunes. To my knowledge nobody ever found it.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Larry Jowdy
ASA Forum Administrator

Post by Larry Jowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:49 pm

I too remember seeing a documentary on TV regarding that movie set.

I read somewhere that locals and visitors used the abandoned set for campfire wood.

CaptainCrab
1st Gear Member

Post by CaptainCrab » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:52 pm

Oh boy do I remember those days! Had a 66 F250 with a 8' cab over camper, no head and a big 24 gal. of water that you had to pump the handle to get it. Pull my 4 seat Chinworth 1600cc buggy on it'e rear wheels form Pomona to Pismo all the time, frist trip June 71. It was great, we camped on the beach, we go down passed the 1 mile pole turn around on the hard pack and go like hell up in to the sand until we got stuck, that's were we'd camp and worry about digging out on Sunday afteernoon. You could take the buggy all the way in to the Buggy Shop and like you said all the way down to Divel's slid OH the good O'l days.
Mike
Mike -N- Sally
Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2003 Jeep TJ
2004 660 Raptor
2002 Banshee
2002 Honda 400 EX sport
2002 YZ-250
and a dog named Mandi

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:59 am

We’d drive to the pier at night to get a pizza and an couple of pitchers of beer, at the pizza joint up from the pier. We’d just park the rail on the beach close to the pier.

We’d drive our rail down to Devils Slide, one time my neighbor who had a 250 Yamaha thought he seized it at the Slide… we had to tow him the 10 miles down the beach back to camp. Only thing we didn’t have a tow rope with us so we made one [7 feet long] out of belts/bungee and a scrape piece of rope. Through the two water crossings we got back to camp, laughing all the way seeing the wet sand just splatter my friend.

Two weeks after we go back he tore down his engine only to realize he had run out of gas… The sand had made him burn twice the regular amount he regularly burnt.

Oh yea, the creek crossings…. Down the ramp at night we’d go in my 74 Dodge Ramcharger with ‘Monster Mudders’ and aired down to 8 lbs. We’d always hang out at the crossing with a tow rope ready…
We met some nice girls there a few times that had ventured to cross at the wrong time. Yes, we were knights in dull armor. However, with a tow rope in hand we looked like Adonis!

Those were the days…
Even though memories are slightly hazed.

The enviro’ wacko’s ruined Pismo…
Them and the damm home owners that built right on the beach. I remember Pismo, before the houses on the beach were all there!

I liked Pismo better than Glamis in those days!

S
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:15 am

Pismo was Glamis by the sea.
Sorta the Glamis crowd migrated to Pismo in the Summer.
It's a lot of work to camp at Pismo now.
We motel it, and now that's become too costly.
It was teriffic.
The wider riding area made for less pressure and fewer ruts.
I'm glad I got to see it and use it before.
Ride Safer by Riding Sober
Friends of Dumont Dunes

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:31 pm

We used to camp on the beach and in the evening, drive our buggies to a Mexican restaurant near 101. Park in the parking lot and have dinner. The restaurant people were always glad to see us and it became a tradition every time we went to Pismo. After dinner we just putted down the streets to get back on the beach. Life was easier and friendlier back then.
Bill Jones
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

crash

Post by crash » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:13 pm

That sounds SOOOO cool.

Due to environmental Naziism I and my family will NEVER get to experience this. :cry:

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:42 pm

My first trip there was Labor Day of '63! I didn't want to go, I wanted to stay home and go to the beach and chase girls and surf. Go riding in a dune buggy?? No way! How uncool was that?

Then I got hooked!! :shock: :D :D

We camped in the front yard of friends house in Grover City, drove our "street legal" Corvair powered buggy down to the dunes and piled everyone in, picnic baskets included. We would spend the whole day in the dunes, riding, eating, relaxing, laughing like crazy! :D :D

My last trip was Labor Day of '77. Went with Canyon Creepers Jeep Club, about 30 Jeeps, all open headers, no windshields. Camped at the private campground just up the street from the state campground on the south ramp. Drove from there to the dunes, up to the north ramp for some of that incredible clam chowder in sour-dough bread bowls. Went riding until 4am, slept on the floor of my brothers camper, duned all day.

What absolutely great times they were! They are truly missed.

Funny, I remember listening to some people talking about the dunes getting closed then, that's when we lost Glamis north of the highway. I was thinking then, BS, they won't take it all, just what they've taken and they'll leave us alone. How incredibly naieve I was then. :oops:
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:58 pm

Come on guys. Someone break out a scanner and post some pictures!

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Crowdog wrote:Come on guys. Someone break out a scanner and post some pictures!
Seriously! How can there be a thread with so much nostalgia, and no pics!!! :roll:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Washroad

Post by Washroad » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:04 pm

We never took pictures. :(

Well, hell, we thought it'd never end, ya know?
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:04 pm

I have lots of 8MM movies, but no stills
Bill Jones

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Sand Commander wrote:I have lots of 8MM movies, but no stills
Get them converted to DVD before they rot. :idea:

Flipper
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Flipper » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:52 pm

Way back when this was GLAMISONLINE.COM their was this same topic. Somewhere along the way we lost a bunch of forum posts, and a lot of old nostaglic pics :cry: . But the ASA is better for it 8) !
They were of old "water pumpers" with dual rear wheels, VW pan type buggys, Jeeps and other homebuilt sand toys. Lot's of old Pismo pics. I didn't think to copy the pics & save them :x , but hopefuly someone else did :?: Iwould like to see them again 8) . Tried a few searchs but no luck. One post (with pics) had a 30 year story to it. It was very cool! If anyone has any old pics don't be afraid to share!
We need to add some chlorine to the gene pool!

If you don't respect the dunes, who will respect you? Pack It In, Pack It Out

vwhijumper
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by vwhijumper » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:46 pm

I can't remember where I found this pic of Devils Slide, but here's something to bring back some old memories :-(

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 pm

=D> Thanks for posting it!
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:31 pm

Just returned from a trip down the coast. Checked out a few areas where we used to be able to ride:

Marina Dunes

Morro Bay Sand Spit

Gaudalupe Dunes

Gerard (Friends of Oceano Dunes) let me use some of his great photos from Marina. Check them out.

Still looking for more photos to document past OHV use at these closed dunes. Please send me an email if you have any that I can use - jon@duneguide.com

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by old flatty » Thu May 10, 2007 8:52 pm

1978 camped in the hummocks between 2nd and 3rd rivers

August 1983 just installed V6 in Jeep, made it up devil's slide first time ever

August 1983 going up devils slide

August 1983 coming back down

view from the top of devils slide; Osa Flaca lake visible middle right
Last edited by old flatty on Thu May 10, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
real Jeeps have flatfenders

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by old flatty » Thu May 10, 2007 9:03 pm

I remember leaving Riverside at 6pm on Friday nights.
took about 6 hours, including dinner somewhere.
went down the ramp at Oceano about midnight or 1am.
would install our sand tires there and air down before driving down the beach.
crossing the rivers at night was hairy; if high tide, had to wait for wave to go out before trying to cross.
years later, we came in thru Santa Maria/Guadalupe road; saved having to cross those rivers.
summer of 1972, spent two weeks camped just before the 2nd river, but up away from the beach; prolly pulled out 2 dozen vehicles in that time span that had tried to turn around; they always turned up instead of turning around down into the wet sand; also drove into town with open headers to buy groceries at the store; nobody cared back then.
ate fish and chips one evening at the Oceano ramp; people watching and all; watched a rocket launch off from Vandenberg; that was neat !
mid 70's camped with Jeep club on the beach; several folks had blocks/jack stands under the trailer to stabilize; wind blew so hard one night, by the next morning, all the tandem trailer axles/wheels were suspended in the air; blew the sand right out from underneath them.
remember a Jeep in our club that had rolled in a bowl right out of camp one year; also remember the 7-8 Jeeps chained up together with the rolled Jeep loaded onto a flatbed trailer trying to pull it up and out of the bowl; can you say "round and round we go" till we get enough momentum to go out and over the top...

fun times, fond memories, too bad we can't go back... :cry:

crash

Post by crash » Fri May 11, 2007 6:49 am

SO.....how many hikers you think they get every year now?

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by old flatty » Fri May 11, 2007 6:52 am

plovers...snowy plovers I understand
none hikers :shock:
and if I read the signs correctly...
a bird that breeds from April thru September ???
yea, right

crash

Post by crash » Fri May 11, 2007 7:55 am

Ever hear of the "knat catcher"? Snowy Plover is the weapon of choice for control on the coast, and the Knat Catcher is the weapon of choice for the inland areas.

The reporters eat this stuff up. There was an article about the "poor snowy plovers" that only had two nests on the beach on a military base down by Imperial Beach in the paper the other day. The article made it out like the plover is one nest away from ceasing to exist, and it was clear that the writer FULLY backed the military's closing of THE ENTIRE BEACH.

Fortunately people are not taking these things lying down. A resident of Imperial Beach wrote back telling the paper that if they would have just gone to the other end of the beach, down by the Tijuana river outlet, they would have seen hundreds of these birds and their nests.

The county had me sign numerous documents when I built my house swearing that I wouldn't "disturb" any knat catcher habitat. I then scraped half my lot clean of ANYTHING. You know what? I have now let parts of the area I cleared regrow naturally and the, by far, most abundant thing is the coastal sage that is growing. It's easily now twice as prevalent in the "new" area is in the old. This is the Knat catcher habitat they were talking about. So what I did, while debatably ILLEGAL, actually has helped the species and it's habitat.

If you haven't figured it out already, these econazi's DISGUST me!!

violator
1st Gear Member

Re: The OLD days at Pismo (Oceano)

Post by violator » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Hear are some photos of my days at Pismo back in the day only a few that were easy to find more on the way i mostly road motorcycles then
Attachments
My 1980 XR 500 with 10 paddle tire been to Pismo and Glamis many times with this set up. 10 paddles a little to much for stock bike went to 8
My 1980 XR 500 with 10 paddle tire been to Pismo and Glamis many times with this set up. 10 paddles a little to much for stock bike went to 8
My 1979 XR 500 and brand new 110 Honda  on the side
My 1979 XR 500 and brand new 110 Honda on the side
Camp at entrance to road between lakes at Osa Flacka santa maria farm in background
Camp at entrance to road between lakes at Osa Flacka santa maria farm in background
1980 XR 500 pacific ocean in background
1980 XR 500 pacific ocean in background
My campsite just above high tide line i thought  sand pushed under my 1976 Datsun truck to block wind and water at high tide
My campsite just above high tide line i thought sand pushed under my 1976 Datsun truck to block wind and water at high tide

crash

Post by crash » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 am

Those are cool pics! Man that's quite a paddle on the 500. Bet that was a wheely machine.(?)

SHOWTIME
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by SHOWTIME » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:40 pm

oh man! the good old days! thanks for shareing! :D

Return to “Pismo Oceano Dunes”