Hitch Hikers guide to the Dunes

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Repeat Offender
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Hitch Hikers guide to the Dunes

Post by Repeat Offender » Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:25 pm

We go to Dumont on the big weekends because its easy to camp, rarely any trouble, and you can ride in relative safety.

I've let friends invite themselves along that are regular Glamis visitors. Usually all we hear is "Glamis is Better", "The rocks damaged my paddles",, No place to ride and have a drink,,, waaaaa,, snif,, snif,,,!!!

Well, yea,, it is. The Glamis Dunes are vast, creamy textured, and a great place without crowds. The main problems are the crowded campsites,, buttholes, and Comp Hill.

New visitors to Dumont appreciate that at night, comp hill is very orderly and really a lot of fun,, even to just sit and watch. Often people camp within a few hundred feet of the base.
You can walk among the various rides that park at the base, chat with interesting people, and have a good time checkin out the machinery.

If you're a new visitor,, you owe it to yourself to be engaging and ask around,, and you'll find lots more to Dumont than you'll find just puttin' around. Dumonts regulars have their head on differently. Everybody seems to be friendly and helpfull.
This counts for alot in my book.

Jeepster
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Jeepster » Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:41 am

Repeat Offender,
Haven't been to Dumont for about 12 years. Plan on going the weekend after Presidents Day. I prefer to avoid the big weekend crowd thing all together. I don't ride bikes any more but my kids still do. I have reached the age where Jeeping is more my speed. My question to you is, are there any areas around Dumont that are good for Jeeping? Is there any particular areas of intrest that would be nice to Jeep to, ie old mines, slot canyons, ghost towns, etc..? Still go to Glamis but it is getting out of control and I don't enjoy the crowds. Looking for a place where the family can enjoy themselves without worring about some crazy jerk digging a sand trap and then throwing trash and s$%t at you when you get stuck. Looking for a place like Glamis used to be.

Help keep America Free.

Sand_Shack
1st Gear Member

Post by Sand_Shack » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:54 pm

Dumont is the Place for you. It's about as family oreintated as you can get. If your kids are small then I suggest going to the little dunes. There on the Right side of the road just before you get to dumont turn. It's a 10 min ride from the small dune to the big ones. Thats where we usally go. Two small kid in the group.
As for the jeeping I usally see rails on the back side of comp and the dunes leading away from Comp. basically anywhere. Just watch out for the Razors, because thats all there is. Happy duning.

Got Sand?.....Yeah, It's in the crack of my a**, and wont come out.

Repeat Offender
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Repeat Offender » Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:10 am

Sand Shacks right.

There is a sand area to Dumont, and a harder packed area. At the main entrance, friendly people usually hand out BLM maps that can help you find several interesting places to visit.

One wash, leads to the area where Sheriff Stevenson collared Charles Manson 31 years ago.

Sometimes when offroad clubs are at Dumont, they have handouts with directions to a lot of the interesting and historic sites, and give them to most anyone that asks. I'd post one but my computer skills suck.

The Mines are located in the vicinity of the little dunes just south and within eyesight. Easy to find, if you park at the SouthEast most perimeter of the littleDunes, there is a BLM information sign and a trail with a little footbridge over the fence.

One small mineshaft is visible first on the right, then, if you continue south on the main trail (vear left), several more shafts on your right are explorable, and the trail improves and continues up the canyon to whats left of the main house. You won't get shortwinded because it's almost Sea Level.

Signs along the upper trail explain the immediate areas history and ecology, some good, some tragic. You can venture in to the shafts. Beware, some shafts have sudden, dark verticle drops of over 200 ft, and are unprotected, some are protected. A must see.

Seriously, by the way, just as the Sun sets on the horizon, flying hamsters (bats) exit the shafts, are harmless, but will fly up to you at eyelevel and check you out like Grampa used to do to Herman in the Munsters. It's a natural reaction to swat them away, but if ya hit them it can easily hurt them, so everyone avoids the mines at sunset and sunrise. Those who don't are scared out of their wits and run for it. You won't see or encounter Bats in any way during the day. Even if you explore the shafts,, they're way, way back inside the lower shafts.

The dry creekbed below has Turquoise and often after heavy rains other interesting natural things appear. Freshwater shrimp from time to time I kid you not.

The little dunes are excellent to stay at. They do have a razorback or two that'll catch ya if your napping. Im astounded that it's usually flagless 2 wheelers that seem to head on at its peak.

On occasion when the campgrounds are pretty empty, we have encountered Burros passing through our campsite, heading up to the river for a drink. They'll stop for carrots, but will dropkick and ruin any dog that approaches them. They look like County Fair Mules, healthy with their hair glistning, but the Rangers insist, they're completely wild and care for themselves.

My point is if you have a dog, keep it on a leash. One sad story was this year, a Bobcat was warming itself on a campers trucks hood and the jerk thought it'd be funny to let his dog out & chase it off. Well, the Bobcats are pretty and look docile,, but Death Valley Bobcats are straight razor totin' bobcats. They hold their ground and the dog got 20 ea two inch long, razor sharp claws to the eyes. The cat won, the dog instantly blinded. One sad camper.
Dumonts Bobcats slap Coyotes around.

One trip to an area that I'm not sure if the greens got closed recently or not,, is to the crashsite of actress Carole Lombards plane, then on to the Bar where Her husband Clark Gable sat it out waiting for her remains to be brought down. Pieces of the planes wreckage are displayed at the bar. A large cross paid for by Clark Gable, marks the spot where the plane hit. You have to foot it the last thousand yards to the site. If the area is still accessable, it probably is, it's been a short spell since I've been there.

I'll re-visit and get GPS fixes and post them. This trip used to take about an hour + by Jeep through beautiful changeing color Amethist covered mini valleys.

Have fun!

Edited by - repeat offender on 02/09/2002 9:08:37 PM

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon » Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:06 am

As for the access isues get ahold of the BLM in Barstow (760)252-6047 Mike Ahrens is the OHV program coordinator, he should be able to tell you what areas are open.

The ORIGINAL SandemonVentura County R/CGo Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

Return to “Dumont Dunes”