First time to Dumont

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

KFXrider
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

First time to Dumont

Post by KFXrider » Sun May 10, 2009 7:47 pm

I am about to go out to dumont for the first time :D but have have lots of questions i will be going out in quads are the paddles really necessary or can i ride with my dirt times. Where is the best place to camp? what are some things i should look out for? i would apptreciate any info about the dunes

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Re: First time to Dumont

Post by BHenry » Mon May 11, 2009 6:04 am

Welcome aboard KFXrider =D>

Let me start off by asking what your sand riding experience is? Glamis? Pismo? First time in the sand?

Dumont has some really tall, steep dunes, so I would say it is definitely one of the places where you want paddles. However, there are also some trails in the area as well which you would be able to run with your regular tires. Camping is wide open, with most people camping near one of the fingers of sand. There is a smaller are known as Little Dumont; these are much smaller dunes where some families camp. It is a bit of a ride across the hard pack desert floor to get to the big stuff from the little stuff.

Are you planning on heading out this time of year? Daytime temps will be hitting triple digits easily from now until well into October.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

KFXrider
1st Gear Member

Post by KFXrider » Mon May 11, 2009 9:46 am

Yes ive been to pismo alot of times and i have had no problems with the regular tires but its been very croweded :| do you know how crowded it would be if i go to dumont in any regular weekend in june

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Glamisbound » Mon May 11, 2009 12:28 pm

I'd be more worried about the heat than tires this time of year. Bring LOTS of water with you on rides...it's going to be hot this time of year.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

BakerKlan
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by BakerKlan » Mon May 11, 2009 1:14 pm

KFXrider wrote:Yes ive been to pismo alot of times and i have had no problems with the regular tires but its been very croweded :| do you know how crowded it would be if i go to dumont in any regular weekend in june
You'll probably have the whole place to yourself
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Mon May 11, 2009 6:07 pm

The massive Dumont Sand dunes are 8,000+ acres located 60 miles due west of Las Vegas and about 65 miles south eastof Death Valley National Park. Well known for its tall dunes and huge bowls, Dumont attracts an estimated 125,000 people annually. Its most popular weekends are Thanksgiving and Presidents Day where up to 25,000 people visit the area.

How to get there: From Los Angeles, take Hwy 15 north towards Las Vegas, then take hwy 127 from Baker north to Dumont Dunes Rd. Turn right. Follow the signs.

Tips: Fill up with fresh water and fuel at the Valero Gas Station in Baker. You can also buy your camping pass there as well.On your way home you can also dump your tanks here or at the ARCO station on Hwy 127.

There are no trash bins at Dumont, haul out what you brought in.

Items such as spare parts, food, t-shirts, firewood and ice can be purchased at vendor row on the holiday weekends. Otherwise get what you need in Baker.

Also, if you have the time, be sure to try the Gyro at the world famous Mad Greek Restaurant. They're that good.

7 day passes are required at a cost of $30. Popular holiday weekends the fee is $40 and an annual pass is $90.

You can buy your passes at the Barstow BLM office, the Valero in Baker, and on holiday weekends at the pay stations at the entrance.

About two miles before you reach Dumont Dunes Rd., you will see the Little Dumont Dunes camping area on your right. This area is popular with families who want to stay away from the crowds and the big sand cars.

Dumont Dunes Rd. is a 3 mile long graded dirt road that has recently been improved with ground asphalt to keep the dust down. Once you reach the end you cross the Amargosa Creek on a cement pad. Next up is the pay station and the dirt hill up to the camping area.

The camping area lies at the base of the big dunes. Sand is mixed with dirt and small rocks so its firm enough to drive on without having to air down. However 4wd is recommended

Most people run paddles but bring your knobbies in case you want to run the Sperry Wash.

This is the size group you may encounter on a holiday weekend. This was New Years weekend 2007.

Where to camp is entirely your preference, one popular camping area is known as the fingers. The fingers are two large prominent sand hills that trail away from the big dune. Camping in between the two fingers is popular because of the wind break and the proximity to the big dune. Use the grid map to help coordinate a camp spot with others in your group.

Dumont is divided into two distinct areas; Little Dumont at 35°39'19.11"N 116°17'21.20"W and Big Dumont at 35°41'8.67"N 116°13'39.50"W

As mentioned before, Little Dumont is much smaller and perfect for families who want to stay away from the rowdier crowds and increased traffic. It is also easier to get to being adjacent to Hwy 127.

Big Dumont is where the action is. Comp hill, wicked razorbacks, the south and north poles, the super bowl, vendor row, and sperry wash. Big Dumont is iteslf separated into two main sections separated by a valley. The western section of the valley is where you will find the steepest, tallest dunes, and comp hill. The eastern side of the valley you will find Banshee Hill, the Super Bowl, and a lot of nice rollers. Personally, this is my favorite area.

The road through the valley takes you directly to Competition Hill. Comp Hill is the most popular gathering spot for the adrenaline junkies. Here is where you get a chance to test your machine against others.

This is also the most popular spot to cruise to at night. You will find rows and rows of trucks, sandrails, atv's and sidexsides lined up to watch the drags each with its own fire pit and music selection.

To me, the main attraction to Dumont are its big, steep bowls. There are several that deserve mentioning. The largest bowl, aptly named the Super Bowl, is on the eastern half of Dumont out behind Banshee Hill and is visible from the camping area. The Super bowl is huge and almost perfectly round making it popular with large displacement sand cars. Many more very large un-named bowls can also be found at the eastern half, the biggest facing the camp area.

The razorbacks also deserve mentioning. Almost every big dune has a sharp razor at the top. Those used to the flat tabletop type dunes found at Pismo and elsewhere will be unpleasantly surprised if they're not careful. Witches eyes are also found in certain places.

Another popular area to ride at, especially for the sidexside crowd is Sperry Wash. This is a fun little half day trip where the knobbies are required. The wash begins at 35°41'55.14"N 116°15'11.43"W, back at thedirt road entrance just before you cross the creek. You want to be sure to stay on the marked trails. This is an environmentaly sensitive area and many trails are closed off. The trail snakes up alongside the Armagosa River crossing it several times. You will find many mines in this area so be careful.

For more information, probably the best source on the internet is at the DumontDuneRiders website. Be sure to take a look at the their forum if you need more specific information.

Dune Smart, be safe.

Return to “Dumont Dunes”