Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Stripped plug hole?

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:12 am

So hoping that my poor running Dakota would be helped with a new set of plugs, I ran accross a plug that just spun and spun (with a lot of force). How screwed am I?

Do I keep wrenching on it?
Is Helicoil better than replacing the head?
At what point does it become a job for a machanic?

2 trucks in 4 weeks. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :sick: :sick:

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Re: Stripped plug hole?

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Reply to myself.

Called GlamisSandDuner. Liquid wrench...let it sit. (was gonna do that) George sugested turn a little-spray a little-wait- turn the other way- spray-wait- turn more- So about two hours of all this back and fourth and the thing came out. Not easily but it came out. Put the last new plug in AND I'LL BE!!! Dang thing runs like a champ... around town. Gonna try the hills by Ckuks house this evening.

=D> =D> =D> =D> :D

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Sloppyduner wrote:Reply to myself.

Called GlamisSandDuner. Liquid wrench...let it sit. (was gonna do that) George sugested turn a little-spray a little-wait- turn the other way- spray-wait- turn more- So about two hours of all this back and fourth and the thing came out. Not easily but it came out. Put the last new plug in AND I'LL BE!!! Dang thing runs like a champ... around town. Gonna try the hills by Ckuks house this evening.

=D> =D> =D> =D> :D
How did the non V8 Dakota do on the hills with the new plugs :?:
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:16 am

Down shifted and chucked up on the short hill. 8) a costant 62 on the longer slight grade on the freeway that used to knock me down to 50-55. \:D/ I'm all excited about super simple things to get this truck going again. I neglected her, I know. I need to bring her flowers and maybe take her out to dinner.

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:20 am

Reminds me of a friends Nissan he had. It was given to him by a neighbor who declared the truck dead and beyond repair due to fuel pump issues. My friend just bypassed the factory wiring and added a toggle switch on the dash to force power to the fuel pump - and drove it for another 3 years.

Then when I moved to AZ we towed his truck behind the U-haul and after spending a few days in MX and AZ with us he continued up the coast on his way to Alaska. Oh yeah, while he was with us he also dropped the gas tank on the truck and with some JB weld patched up a few areas that were leaking.

Just outside Seattle though the truck spat out a spark plug, threads and all. Left a nasty dent in the hood too he said. He was already a day behind schedule to get to AK and had no money for a new truck. But he did have a few tubes of JB weld. So he JB welded in a new plug, let it sit for the night and continued on.

He made it to his destination...but a day or two later the truck refused to start and he gave up on it. But he found a Toyota for $150 which had a leaking head gasket - a can of "fixit juice" later he not only drove that truck the entire summer in AK but also drove it back to Ohio and used it for another 2 years.

Oh the joys of ultra-cheap vehicles and even cheaper fixes!

GlamisSandDuner
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by GlamisSandDuner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:48 pm

jhitesma wrote:Reminds me of a friends Nissan he had. Oh yeah, while he was with us he also dropped the gas tank on the truck and with some JB weld patched up a few areas that were leaking.

Just outside Seattle though the truck spat out a spark plug, threads and all. Left a nasty dent in the hood too he said. He was already a day behind schedule to get to AK and had no money for a new truck. But he did have a few tubes of JB weld. So he JB welded in a new plug, let it sit for the night and continued on.

He made it to his destination...Oh the joys of ultra-cheap vehicles and even cheaper fixes!
I knew that JB Weld worked good, but I would have never thought that it would seal up a a leaking fuel tank :shock: , let alone a spark plug hole :shock: ......WOW!
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:50 am

GlamisSandDuner wrote: I knew that JB Weld worked good, but I would have never thought that it would seal up a a leaking fuel tank :shock: , let alone a spark plug hole :shock: ......WOW!
There were actually a few bets going on about whether or not it would seal the tank. I was one of the doubters. Who knows how long it would have lasted since a week later the truck was in the wrecking yard. But it let him complete his trip!

The spark plug also surprised me. But again, a few days later the truck was scrapped so it may have let him complete the last leg of his trip but it's not anything I'd suggest as a permanent fix!

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”