Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Scalloped tire tread

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Of the 4 tires on my 16' enclosed trailer 3 of them have significant to severe scalloping to the tread blocks - adjacent tread blocks are different heights and many have angled faces. The other tire looks perfect.

Any ideas why 3 tires would look bad while one is perfect?

Trailer is 2 years old, has about 7000 miles on it, loaded weight is under 5000 lbs., and tires are Duro brand ST205/75D14 rated for 1760 lbs. each (7040 total). I checked running gear alignment (position of shackles, etc.) and everything looks good.

I have repacked the wheel bearings once 4000 miles ago and can't say for sure that all wheels were put back on the same hubs they came off - it's possible that one side had front and back wheels swapped while other side had them put back where they started.

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:10 am

This is most likely caused by a toe in or out problem. The only way to really check it is with srings and tape measures. If you want just a real quick eye balling, take a flat piece of something, piece of 1", 1 1/2" tubing, whatever, even a wood 2X4 and place the flat edge up against the tires at axle height from the outside. All 4 contact points should be hitting the flat surface. If not you may have a toe problem. 1/16 inch gap is about all you should see maximum. This can be fixed by cutting and welding on the axle tube by someone that knows what they are doing. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE THE COMPLETE CUTTING OF THE AXLE IN TWO.

I just redid my trailer suspension system. Converted it to airbags. The factory does not neccessarily do things correctly. One shackle was mounted over 1/4 inch off from the opposite side. This caused the axles to be out of alignment to each other. MEASURE EVERYTHING. My axles are currently toed in about 1/8 of an inch. If they end up toed out, your trailer will tend to "wander".

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:20 pm

I had an Interstate enclosed trailer years ago that had one side of the axle 1" behind the other. I noticed it because I could see more trailer on one side of the motorhome than the other. :roll:

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:34 pm

I measured to make sure the fixed shackles are the same distance from the front of the trailer on both sides and that the hitch is centered. Everything was spot on. I used a straightedge against the tires on the accessible side of the trailer the the rear axle is ever so slightly toed in. Won't check the other side until I have reason to move the trailer out.

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”