Post by mrbeefcak »

Anyone have input for me about this type car? pro/con thanks
Joe

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by OBSESSED »

If you get one, have ear plugs for every ride...

Serious Unlimited RPM's 13,000 rps and more

Less torque than a Subie or V8

A three rotor will blow your sox off. [Fastest rail I ever seen at Glamis Drags was mid-engine 3 rotor on alcohol]

2 Rotor--In a light rail it is a good engine, I would not have one, but, most people also would not have a VW Turbo [and I have one].

If I was going to build my rail again, I'd put a Honda 3.5 FI engine. It's a light rail and I don't need the torque of a V8.

If you like second gear wheelies at 50 MPH when your tach says 10,000 rpms a Mazda is for you.

I know I havn't cleared anything up, but there you have it!

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

crash

Post by crash »

Well, you can easily see 300+ HP on a turbo engine that will last many times longer than the same CC size piston engine trying to make that kind of horsepower. Remember, we're only talkin about 12-1300 CCs here.

Mazda is hard to deal with on getting parts. This supposedly is due to patent issues. Whatever it is, parts are expensive and relatively hard to get.

For the money and availability, a Subi seems to be the answer. The build charactoristics of the car would be much the same with comparable HP, and cheaper more available parts.

I only got 1200 CCs and the only thing that has beaten me at the drags is a sand drag rail with no suspension, a big block, and nitrous. He didn't beat me until he turned on the bottle. :shock: :D

I've had more than a couple people come up to me and ask where the turbo is. :lol:

Like most fast engines, they aren't cheap, and require some secrets to make them really go. :wink: Unfortunately there are really about, oh I would say, 75-85% of builders of ANY kind of so called performance engine that just either don't know what they are doing, or don't want to spend the time to give you a really good product. Rotary builders are few and far between and as such it is even harder to find a decent one. Porting is CRITICAL, and most people tend to overport andreally screw things up to where the engine isn't drivable.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

One of my best friend runs one in a SU car. I speak from experience since I'm the one who usually pulls him back to camp. Yeah these motors can build some serious HP, but they are fickle as all hell. They are famous for being hard to start when hot. They run so hot that it's not uncommon for the exhaust to glow and sometimes even start on fire. B/C of the high RPM band, they are not good duners b/c you have to keep the engine reved too high all the time, which is why someone recommended using ear plugs. At low RPM, they have no bottom end pull (torque). They are weird looking too :lol: Not a chance in hell I'd run one, but that's just MO.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog »

My first car was a Tatum with a turbo rotary. It hauled the mail. Very light 4 seats (1850 lbs.).

Think hopped up 2 stroke - got to keep it in the powerband because there isn't much torque. Harder to drive, but wicked fast.

They are loud. Mine came with a SuperTrapp and it would burn the packing material out in less than a weekend.

They are very touchy if you overheat them. The apex seals get warped and a rebuild will be necessary. Whatever you think would be a good sized radiator, make it bigger. Also add a good sized oil cooler as the turbos really seem to heat up the oil, and that in turn makes them run hot.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck »

Moved from Ocotillo Wells forum to SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle forum
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

crash

Post by crash »

See people are backing me on the heat issue, and also proving my point on the porting. If it's ported correctly, tuned right, and has the right turbo matched to it, it will have PLENTY of bottom end. You should never run it over 10k RPMs for much, if any amount of time. Those that say theres' are running at 13K all day are either liars or like to spend a lot on rebuilds/entire new engines frequently. If you over rev one of these and the main bearings come out of it, pretty much the entire engine will be junk.

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”