Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

BansheeRider
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Keeping sand out of your face

Post by BansheeRider » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:48 pm

Does anyone have a good set up for keeping sand out of your eyes while riding a Pilot in a group? Currently my wife is using a motoX style helmet with goggles. Some sand gets in through the goggles. Someone suggested a streetbike full face helmet with a flip down visor. Has anyone tried this set up or does anyone have another setup that has worled good?

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Dunepilot » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:19 pm

I too use a MotoX style helmet and I use baby oil on the thin fabric which covers the vents on the goggles. It works very well. I've also found using a Sand Sock prevents some additional sand from getting in.

If the helmet has vents, try closing them. Even take some tape (preferably duct) and seal off the front vent if there is one, this helps from breathing in the sand dust.

Make sure her goggles are fitted properly. An illfitting one will not seal properly.

Several friends of mine, use full face helmets with Parker Pumpers which lightly pressurize the helmet, keeping the sand out.

In addition to the baby oil, maybe she is following the lead vehicle too closely. Perhaps she could increase her distance.

Some paddles (mine are Skat-Trak The Edge Haulers) throw a pretty good roost and are not fun to follow behind. Others I'm aware of do not throw so much, thus you can ride a bit closer.

Hope that helps.
DunePilot

BansheeRider
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by BansheeRider » Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:11 am

Thanks for the reply Eric. I think her helmet and goggles are a little loose. Hopefully I can fine a set up that seals better. I think I'll stay with the M-X type.

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Dunepilot » Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:41 pm

Glad I could help.

Do try the baby oil thing, I found that to be an enormous improvement.
DunePilot

Return to “Pilot & Odyssey”