Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

NE14SAND
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

need help!!!! with 250 PLEASE

Post by NE14SAND » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:33 pm

i have a reed engine (fl250) with a 36 mikuni and a fuel cell up above (gravity feed) the over flow hoses flow a LOT of fuel. i have been in carb 10 to 20 times cleaned, ajusted everything i can think of. i tried to regulate flow from cell, nope not it. i tried to put over flow hoses higher than engine, nope stalls, what am i missing????? has someone else had this prob??? reeds are new also, please help leaving for glamis wed night and it is my little girls ride.

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Winston Cup » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:17 pm

How long does it run before it stalls, and describe the way it stalls the best you can?

What's the plug look like after it stalls?

What makes you believe it's fuel related?

Is the gas cap vented, and if so, did you check to see if it was clogged?

Run time before it stalls will matter alot here. We'll get it figured out, don't sweat it.
Guy Chrest

NE14SAND
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

help

Post by NE14SAND » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:30 pm

How long does it run before it stalls, and describe the way it stalls the best you can?

What's the plug look like after it stalls?

What makes you believe it's fuel related?

Is the gas cap vented, and if so, did you check to see if it was clogged?

Run time before it stalls will matter alot here. We'll get it figured out, don't sweat it.
____________it depends on if i reving it sometimes right away somyimes it revs high on its own plug wet fuel related? fuel rushes out over flows cap is vented and working i havent had a lot of time into dialing the carb in due to the amont of fuel comming out the hosses i have been more focased on that when i can get the over flows to quit over flowing i can try to tune the carb when i test drive it down the ally it does not run to good no top end i think to rich, but i leave a visible trail of fuel on ground what ya think?_____

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:12 am

Well if it's coming out the overflows and or the vents in the carb then fuel is just literally pouring in that motor, so this is your immediate problem.

Either you have a bad float. Not likely

The needle and seat are stuck open either from a burr in the seat bore or from some other item hanging it up in the float assembly, or the needle is not sealing because the rubber tip is bad. Check the tange that holds the float needle and see if it's bent way down. Good Possiblity

The weighted pressure from the fuel in the tank above your carb may be overcomming that float assembly and pushing the float needle open, not allowing it to close and regulate the float level in the bowl in the normal manner. Very strong possibility

Now I heard of others that have mounted auxilliary tanks high in the frame, set up to gravity feed the carb, but I don't know if anyones had any issues with pressure forcing the float needle open because of it. I haven't tried it personally, but I know it could happen. Maybe someone on here that has used that gravity feed setup can say whether or not they had the same problem.
Guy Chrest

NE14SAND
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

carb

Post by NE14SAND » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:32 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH but i have given up and im out of time so i ate a little crow and the wife is running it in to the repair shop. but when i get the news i will let u know THANKS FOR ALL YOUR TIME

hoser
1st Gear Member

Post by hoser » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:38 am

You need to change the needle and seat in the carb they come in a few different sizes, the size for gravity flow is different than that of one using the fuel pump, you also need to look at the engine mounts and the intake manifold, 30 year old rubber is probably degraded, loose engine mounts allowing the engine to flop around and a intake manifold thats rubber that has turned hard as a rock will transmit vibration to the carb and upset the float settings bad mounts and stiff rubber intake is a perfect combination to drive a guy nuts trying to properly calibrate a carb...

NE14SAND
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by NE14SAND » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:03 pm

WOW that post is like 2 years old, long since figured it out. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP ANYWAYS. thats what makes these boards go round, the help and the great people on them. are u new? i see its like your 5th post, well if so WELCOME AND THANK YOU
if the green cones are out all is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NE14SAND
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by NE14SAND » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:05 pm

PS. i will be dumping the odysseys to fund new toys, done with um :(
if the green cones are out all is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Pilot & Odyssey”